Lack of big names?

mcstinger

Lately, a lot of signature models have been appearing, dedicated to musicians, which I have never heard of in my life and which I have not seen anywhere, except maybe on YT. I won't name them, it's a New Year and I don't want to offend anyone :). But what made my jaws drop is the Fishman "Fluff" signature humbucker. All I am missing already is some signature model of John Doe. Are the manufacturers missing big names?

Lately, a lot of signature models have been appearing, dedicated to musicians, which I have never heard of in my life and which I have not seen anywhere, except maybe on YT. I won't name them, it's a New Year and I don't want to offend anyone :). But what made my jaws drop is the Fishman "Fluff" signature humbucker. All I am missing already is some signature model of John Doe. Are the manufacturers missing big names?
They're basically sponsoring Youtubers these days as that's the most cost effective way to reach a lot of consumers in terms of advertising.

Youtubers are the new rock stars
giphy.gif

The real question is WHO are the big names from the last decade ?

I can't think of any. It just made up of a few people that go back more than a decade that will sell anything like they work for HSN or QVC. Dave Mustaine comes to mind.

Just for shits n giggles, I Googled Ibanez Signature Models and out of 26 people that popped up, I hadn't heard of 12 of them lol

Wow, Fishman has a "fluff" pickup? WTF. I have no problems with Fluff, but what has he done to create original music? Does he have a best selling album? Did he create his own guitar style that sets him apart from everyone else? Do he have an original guitar sound / tone? I hope he's getting paid....

Strange times that we are living in........"influencers" taking on rockstar status, due to lazy marketing departments.....

Although, I will say that Pete Thorn and Beato have proven themselves in the industry, and Fluff started off just having a good time and sharing his thoughts on things. The marketing and R+D departments are to blame for the direction that things have gone.

True rockstars seem to be disappearing, and being replaced with YT sensations and influencers...

Reactions: rsm
There’s still rock stars, they just don’t play rock and roll anymore, it’s rap and country singers

Strange times that we are living in........"influencers" taking on rockstar status, due to lazy marketing departments.....

Although, I will say that Pete Thorn and Beato have proven themselves in the industry, and Fluff started off just having a good time and sharing his thoughts on things. The marketing and R+D departments are to blame for the direction that things have gone.

True rockstars seem to be disappearing, and being replaced with YT sensations and influencers...
That is pretty much the way of the modern world. People aren't watching the local news, they get their news from Facebook and TikTok. People aren't watching TV shows, they watch episodes created by random people on Youtube. People arent going to concerts, they are watching people rock out on Youtube and TikTok.

My wife and I always joke around about how people now could live in a 1 room house with nothing but a phone and live just fine.

That is pretty much the way of the modern world. People aren't watching the local news, they get their news from Facebook and TikTok. People aren't watching TV shows, they watch episodes created by random people on Youtube. People arent going to concerts, they are watching people rock out on Youtube and TikTok.

My wife and I always joke around about how people now could live in a 1 room house with nothing but a phone and live just fine.

It’s going to be a community of pod’s with a Starbucks, Apple Store and Amazon delivering everything we need, if you’re lucky you can get some cricket snacks

I guess that means Pete Thorn, Rick Beato and Fluff are today’s equivalent to EVH, Page and Lynch in the manufacturer s eyes. Good to know doing a video on crazy reverb listings could one day earn me a signature guitar. Lol
In the context of their ability to generate product sales among consumers - yes, youtubers have similar push to what the best guitar players had in their time.
The reach of the internet today versus physical media/word of mouth in the past means people with less playing skill can get as much or more exposure than the best of the best from days gone by. The modern youtubers also posit their channels as places to go to find gear, so they're already catering to any potential buyers with the nature of their content.

Back