Live and Orange...

TTerror

Hey guys, I am waiting for my Torpedo Live to arrive in next week or so. :rock:

Interested if anyone here plays them with Tiny Terrors or similar, I have Jim Root Terror amp which I mainly use for blues and classic rock, yes, not metal at all. Whole EQ section and effects loops were things that made me buy it, and little sucker has it. And I guess 15w will not make Torpedo load sweat, will dime that small guy for sure.

Excited like a small kid for the Torpedo to arrive, in the mean time anyone has favorite cabs with Orange amps or some IRs you really digged with those type of amps? Just curious.

Cheers!

We use a tiny terror for most of our demos and trade shows, never had a problem. Dimed may not be the best sound......use the amp with the Torpedo the same way you'd use the amp with a cabinet if you could play at any volume.....that's the best setting.

There are some Orange cabs on the boutique as well as a vast palette of tonal options from vintage to modern. Start by getting familiar with the included sounds and learn to edit the presets. You can then audition any of the available cabinets and using Remote, purchase in-app.

I am sure Terrors have a sweet spot on the volume pot, just haven't been there yet...mostly relative low volume playing in apartment, hence my decision to go Torpedo way.

I do occasionally jam with band but even there we mic up, and can't search for full volume sweet spot either, hope Torpedo Live will end that.

The sweet spot on the Tiny is definitely not when maxed out ha ha. But you will get pretty decent tones out of it for sure.

Finally! Torpedo is in tha house...man it makes playing a lot of fun I tell ya that.

Really surprising to hear such difference in cab sounds, cranking the little Orange sucker all night long. I realized that on my Audio Technica ATH-R70x headphones, I do not like any reverb on the sound, dry sounds the best and I guess them being open back phones make a difference. Anyways, had to completely change amp EQ to match 4x12 cabs...but is brilliant.

So, just starting the whole tweaking thing, but I do like the sound, something I would never be able to achieve in apartment volume levels, and ...my daughter was asleep in the other room the whole time :D

I also noticed that with 15w Terror the Torpedo did not heat up at all, touched bottom of the box and it was not even warm...I guess 15w is just not pushing it too much, the fan did not engage either, so very silent rig. Only noise now is the noise from open back headphones, but it is a good one. :)

Ha ha with 15W the Live won't even blink. ^^

You're right, a lot of people actually discover that the cab sound and micing are really, really important in the overall tone. Not every cabinet is a good match for an amp, as the amp designer had to make choices regarding the voicing of the amp, and those choices are usually made with a couple specific cabinets in mind. ;)

Well...tweaking and more tweaking is in the plan I guess, have few favorite cabs already.

One thing I learned through my years of playing and buying all kinds of gear...take a day off once it is there....otherwise, here I am at work absolutely inefficient the whole day, just waiting to get home and play the damn thing. :D

I hear you my friend, imagine when you actually work litteraly a few feet away from some gorgeous amps you just received and can't find the time to play them ha ha. I have two Revv amps begging to be played in our demo room and expecting to receive two Mesa... :D

I've noticed that I seem to loose some Orange sparkle on the Live simulations, I did not have this on the real speaker when I played. Sound seems a bit darker than usual, like there is sort of blanket covering higher gain sounds.

I have it all set up properly, wet/wet combination, listening through high-end monitor headphones directly from torpedo...just wonder if it is usual Orange thing when cranked. I have to put treble on the amp full and add some more in Live EQ...even on center mic positions, while on the same time have to roll off a lot of bass.

Any advice on this guys? I mean the sound is good, but I feel it is too dark.

Hi TTerror,

are you comparing your monitors with your usual guitar cabinet or a miking of said cabinet VS the Torpedo, both through the monitor?

Because in the firs case you should expect a significant difference, and in the second case, well, it really depends on the cabinet, mike type and position, plenty of things;

If you tried a bright cabinet, with a condenser microphone (avoid the ribbon), full axis and still miss treble, that is strange. You can always push a little the highs on the Torpedo Live EQ, they are here for that purpose. Oh, make sure the power amp is OFF on the Torpedo Live.

Just comparing usual cabinet sound, not miked, I leave treble in the middle and have plenty...while on the Torpedo I have to push it to the max. I will try on my monitors to see the difference, but to be honest, weekdays I can only play at night on headphones...or risk waking up my kid :)

I have amp sim turned off and wet/wet setup, and I was expecting more treble actually since we all play with cabinets down at the floor and never listen directly in front of a speaker, strange.

Thing is, I do not own this amp for long time, bought it month ago to downsize my rig and have it compact with Torpedo, light and silent killing rig :D So I do not have months or years of experience to know it's exact miked sound, but I am pretty sure it would have treble if you push it on any cab.

I did have similar experience with Kemper I owned last year, headphone sound was just not right...while on the monitors it sounded absolute killer, maybe it's just my perception. :loco:

Is there any limit to the headphones impedance on the Live output. I have ATH-R70x phones which have quite huge impedance value of 470 Ohm.

Oh I wouldn't recommend using high impedance headphone, or you'd better have a headphones amplifier. It will work but the level may be to low and lacking some punch.

Tried my other phones...no big change in sound. Same happened with Kemper I had,on speakers the sound was to die for...headphones with all reverbs and enhancement included just sounded dead. Kemper did moved me in to miked guitar sound and I just like it way more than real amp speakers now, just more pleasant to ears while playing at home.

Anyways...I have a killer classic rock sound on my monitors now...Jim Root Terror+Earthquaker Devices Talons OD+Gibson SG Standard. It is ridiculous how good this sounds now. Great job guys on making cranked sound available to mortals!

Back