Looking to buy a Diezel amp next

jd267

So My next amp will be a diezel and I love the sound of the Herbert . I play metal in drop C to standard tunings. Can the D moll sound like the Herbert ? I will be buying used and see the D moll a lot cheaper than the Herbert. So what ya think guys?

I haven't personally experienced the Dmoll, yet have heard good things and specifically that it has "similar" controls to Herbert.

That said, Herbert is a BEAST!! 180 watts of headroom, great cleans, amazing crunch, and diabolical heavy tones.
In my experience, Herbert is best paired with German made Diezel cabs...yet it likes V30's in general...however personally I also like the K100's.
There seems to be some differing of opinions regarding the K100's, but I use a V30 cab on the bottom and then a K100 cab up top for live, and it's AWESOME!!!

Now, back to Herbert. Herbert has 3 distinct channels ALL with their own EQ controls.
The biggest drawback I can see on the Dmoll is the crunch and heavy channels share EQ controls.
If you can get past that, then Dmoll is cheaper and will still give you 100 watts of Diezel goodness.
You still get 2 MV controls for solo playing and midi switchable loops.

I am Herbert ALL THE WAY and I have a Hagen as well, so take my opinions with a grain of salt.
I just get as many Diezels as I can, try them, and then choose. I have tried the VH4S and Einstein too.

Many here love their Dmoll amps...that's grand.
Anybody that has some direct experience with Dmoll would probably be helpful here as well.

I've played Herbert a little & DMoll a lot. Similar diezel- awesomeness.DMoll can handle detunes- drop C is my favorite, but I go drop A & dropG too. BB+ red set to clean boost tightens it up & gives it the edge. Looks like this is my "forever amp"

Gtar you rig looks devastating bro lol. Check out my thread on the diezel cab I just picked up . Thinking of selling off a few amps and buying a herb or Dmoll. The herb is more of what I want LOVE me headroom.

I'd just skip the Dmoll and get a Herbert. The Herbert and VH4 are coming down a lot on the used market, heck there is a Herbert here in the classifieds for $2300. Thats nothing. Many of us had to pay $3K+ for our's years ago.

I have a Herbert, VH4, and Hagen. I have not had a chance to play my Hagen yet, but I prefer the Herbert to the VH4, it's so smooth and polished, and the bass is incredible. I run my Herbert and VH4 in a stereo midi rig with two German 412's.

I'd stick to the big 3, I'm sure the fokker/dmoll/einstein are great amps, but the Herbert/Hagen/VH4 amps are at the top of the food chain, any other brand out there included. :gethim:

Oh, and I'd run all V30's with a Herbert. I don't like strait K100's with mine, that is a smooth neutral speaker combined with a smooth clean sounding head. I think the grit that the V30 adds pairs perfectly with the smoothness of the Diezel amps.

Well I crossed over to the diezel world ! Just picked up a used Herbert mk1. I'll compare it to my framus cobra and if it's better to my taste I'll sell the framus

jd267":2rgfoptp said:
Well I crossed over to the diezel world ! Just picked up a used Herbert mk1. I'll compare it to my framus cobra and if it's better to my taste I'll sell the framus

That is a wise decision !!!
If one day you get to try a Dmoll, get it also, you will be astonished of what this "small" amp can deliver !!!

Faxanadu":fta3g7ph said:
jd267":fta3g7ph said:

That is a wise decision !!!
If one day you get to try a Dmoll, get it also, you will be astonished of what this "small" amp can deliver !!!

That's what I here . I was told by a few people to skid the moll and go for the Herbert

Dmoll or Herbert is WIN or WIN.
In fact it's WIN for any Diezel amp you would get.

Enjoy your Herbie !
If you like it, I bet it will not be your last Diezel amp...

Faxanadu":1b7j57nk said:
Dmoll or Herbert is WIN or WIN.
In fact it's WIN for any Diezel amp you would get.

Enjoy your Herbie !
If you like it, I bet it will not be your last Diezel amp...

It prob won't . I have owned like every high gain amp almost but never a diezel! Very excited

Channel 3 of the D-Moll has more gain than the Herbie and is a bit looser with some sizzle on top. The Herbie has the headroom and a bit more thump to it. You won't go wrong with either.

steve_k":2hpj8tmv said:
Channel 3 of the D-Moll has more gain than the Herbie and is a bit looser with some sizzle on top. The Herbie has the headroom and a bit more thump to it. You won't go wrong with either.

Very good description Steve, this exactly how I see CH3 on my D-moll too.

By the way, would you know how to diminish this loose feel and soften the high end sizzle on this channel ?

I am getting used to the VH4 style of high gain tone and feel that I like so much for its tightness and punch, and I am trying to get close to that with D-moll also... But I struggle a bit here.

Cheers.

I use a BB+ red on DMoll ch3 and it makes it tight tight tight

In comparison, my Maxon does not work as well for this application

crankyrayhanky":5dr827oq said:
I use a BB+ red on DMoll ch3 and it makes it tight tight tight

In comparison, my Maxon does not work as well for this application

Boost pedal !!!!
I will try that for sure, thanks !!!

Back