LOOP SWITCHER to control preamp pedals into effects loop

V87

Hi all, i'm hoping someone can help me as I'm stuck. I have a blackstar ht5 that I like for clean and low gain sounds. I'm hoping to get a preamp pedal to run into the effects loop return for my heavy distortion (as it sounds better to me than running into the front end). I wanted to ask if anyone knew how to do this or if it's even possible? I know there are the Victory preamps that can do this, and you can still use OD pedals in front of both your amps preamp/ the victory preamp and the same with delays AFTER. Is there a switcher pedal (or can any loop switcher be used) that will allow me to do this? I know i could take the pedals straight into the effects return, but I really want to be able to use the amp for my clean and light crunch, then a distortion in the effects return for rhythm and with an OD in front of that for my heavy rhythm and lead with delay behind it. I hope this makes sense.

Yes, it's possible. Something like a Voodoo GCX can accomplish it.

1) Instrument to front panel "Guitar In"
2) GCX splits this to "Guitar Out" and "Feed Thru" on the rear panel. Send these to amp input and preamp pedal input.
3) Put the effects loop send on the "In" of one loop, and the preamp pedal's send on the "Return" of the same loop. Patch "Out" of that loop to your effects loop return. Switching this loop will toggle between the two preamps.

p_gcxbg.gif

I believe the Voodoo HEX could do the same thing in a smaller form factor.

What is your budget and what pedals do you own at the moment? What pedals are you planning to buy?

Thanks for that Snave - at least I'm not going insane and it can be done ! swamptrashstompboxes - I currently am looking to spend no more than a couple hundred pounds (i'm in the UK) and was looking for a one button switch to go from amps pre amp to a line straight into the amps power amp. The Voodoo labs way seems like a great way for a pro but i'm not playing live so would be happy in having to hit a couple of pedals etc. Basically I'm looking for a 1 button solution to switch from the amps preamp to another line where i could take a preamp pedal into the power amp directly (and bypass the amps preamp) but still be able to use the effects loop for time based effects for both preamps/ lines. Same for effects before the preamps. I currently use the 2 channels on my blackstar ht5. On my board I have a crybaby wah, digitech whammy dt, earthquaker devices Dunes (OD), Boss NS2, a modded Boss MT-2 (please don't shout at me lol) which is most of my distortion sounds - these all currently into the amps front end. Then in the loop I have an Ibanex CF7, Boss RV3 and tc electronic ditto x2. Thanks

Look at the Boss ES stuff you can do the routing you want and they are reasonably priced on the used market..

I am not sure that a one button switcher is capable of that. The reason is that a lot of amps disable the preamp when any plug is inserted into the power amp in. I am also not at all familiar with that amp.

Back