low output + ceramic magnet = the ticket for pickups!

dstroud

At least for me! Been goofing around with pickups and man I really like low ohm (7K-9K) pickups with ceramic magnets. Lots of clarity, not overly bright and breath really well. Can't believe Dimarzio and Duncan don't have a production model like that. I found some from Kent Armstrong and I been swapping some magnets on pickups I already have. Anybody else try this, or use a similar pickup?

dstroud":etjdofrx said:
At least for me! Been goofing around with pickups and man I really like low ohm (7K-9K) pickups with ceramic magnets. Lots of clarity, not overly bright and breath really well. Can't believe Dimarzio and Duncan don't have a production model like that. I found some from Kent Armstrong and I been swapping some magnets on pickups I already have. Anybody else try this, or use a similar pickup?

What type of music do you play?

What is your type of guitar tone?

maddnotez":30ap6wv2 said:
dstroud":30ap6wv2 said:

Press the play button on the video and your questions will be answered. :)

His style is a cool amalgam of rock, some blues, and shred ala Satriani, at least to my ears on that tune.

dstroud":1gjij3k5 said:

Darren...if you are using a 7 String, Dimarzio has the PAF 7s which fit right into that profile. I haven't taken them out yet. As you said they are very clean and clear without being overly hot. I do tend to agree with you.....I'm finding that a bit lower output seems to be the ticket for me with a higher gain amp setting.

C1-ocaster":3qm69oy7 said:
maddnotez":3qm69oy7 said:
dstroud":3qm69oy7 said:

Press the play button on the video and your questions will be answered. :)

His style is a cool amalgam of rock, some blues, and shred ala Satriani, at least to my ears on that tune.

I don't see a video. I guess iphone doesn't like rig talk?

maddnotez":2lq3mizp said:
dstroud":2lq3mizp said:

I play rock. I mostly try to be a Schenker/Satriani type player. I go for darker smoother tones.

Darren, I think seeing that on a spec sheet would freak out most "tone purists"...a lot of folks believe that if it's not AII or AV, it sucks. However, I think all of the SD Rails and single-size buckers are ceramic, FWIW.

The Gibson 490R is about 9k and has a ceramic mag. I actually think it makes a great bridge pup.

SFW":2mopobxm said:
The Gibson 490R is about 9k and has a ceramic mag. I actually think it makes a great bridge pup.

thanks! Looks like the 490R is Alnico II, but by searching I found the 496R is ceramic at about 8.6K - thanks for pointing me in that direction!

grooveHT":16329nor said:
Darren, I think seeing that on a spec sheet would freak out most "tone purists"...a lot of folks believe that if it's not AII or AV, it sucks. However, I think all of the SD Rails and single-size buckers are ceramic, FWIW.

I hear you man, funny thing though, while researching I found some threads at I think Metro where people were saying put a ceramic magnet in a low ohm pickup for VH tones lol

i tend to favor the lower output pups in the 7-9k range.. but with alnico v magnets. that's mostly because i like a bit of the attack to come through when i play. my 73 sg standard fits that pretty well and i suppose i adjusted to it because i've played that guitar for so long.
i also have a '78 ibby cn 100 with super 80's in it. it also falls into that category.. at least output wise.
it's darker sounding than the sg.

dstroud":zntf6p3o said:
SFW":zntf6p3o said:

thanks! Looks like the 490R is Alnico II, but by searching I found the 496R is ceramic at about 8.6K - thanks for pointing me in that direction!

Sorry. I always get the Gibson numbers confused. Lol. It's the neck pickup that usually goes with the 500T bridge. It does however, sound really good in the bridge of my Les Paul.

SFW":3eyqledg said:
dstroud":3eyqledg said:
SFW":3eyqledg said:

Sorry. I always get the Gibson numbers confused. Lol. It's the neck pickup that usually goes with the 500T bridge. It does however, sound really good in the bridge of my Les Paul.

no worries man! I just bought a 496R on Ebay, looking forward to checking it out!

Back