METALLICA - 72 SEASONS (2023) [FULL ALBUM]

Just sounds like Hard wired to self-destruct B sides to me. Uninteresting in general to my ears, but i think it is great they are still creating and kudos to them for bringing the energy! I wish they would have cut some of the fat off each song and really narrowed it down more for catchy melodic stuff and drop the unnecessary repeats of riffs droning out too long.

I gave it a full listen last night. Generally speaking, it not too bad. There seems to be some strong songs...I am not in love with the production, that's for certain. I need to give it a few more listens prior to commenting any further.

Just sounds like Hard wired to self-destruct B sides to me. Uninteresting in general to my ears, but i think it is great they are still creating and kudos to them for bringing the energy! I wish they would have cut some of the fat off each song and really narrowed it down more for catchy melodic stuff and drop the unnecessary repeats of riffs droning out too long.
Agree. Not only would Bob inject some weight and muscle into the guitar sounds...He would talk the guys into editing the songs to be more compact and poignant.

with all the money they have and all the incredible gear…I’m pretty sure I could have created the albums guitar tone using an original Line 6 Pod (the red bean)

Also, if you want to hear Kirk practice pick slide/scrape, just listen to the start of Sleepwalk My Life Away…spoiler alert: he couldn’t do it but they recorded his three tries and put it on the album anyway…

Fidelman has got to be the laziest dude ever

There’s zero indication they’d want to do another Rock produced album at this point, like a produced album like TBA. They said back in the 90’s it took a mass amount of work and they‘ve gone in the opposite direction ever since. What they’ve put out in the last 3 albums seems to be a mix of putting in enough effort to not sound like Load-St. Anger but not diving in that deep where they’re concerned about every last detail.

I haven’t heard 72 Seasons yet, I haven’t had a day off from work in 3 weeks but gave myself a 3-day weekend which I intend on starting with more vodka than I should drink and this album.

Metallica has always been my all time favorite band and James in particular is the only reason I picked up the guitar - got interested in guitar metal tones and stuff. I tried to give the album a listen but I really couldn't get into it. Where are the riffs man? What about that massive guitar tone James once had? To me most songs sound really boring and repetitive. James vocals is the highlight of the new album if you ask me.
I don't know about you guys but at least Hardwired had at least some good riffs / melodies. Don't get me started about the really good Death Magnetic songs but shitty mixing...

Exactly

To quote Tom Petty:

There was no use in pretending
No magic left to hear
All the music gave me
Was a craving for lite beer
As I walked out of the arena
My ears began to ring
And money became king

First listen through I don’t think it’s terrible. Nothing groundbreaking but at least these guys are still alive, making an effort to put out new music and more importantly playing live shows where you can go and hear the classics.

My only gripe is the songs are a bit long and I feel like the band force Kirk into doing solos, which is the result of his severely half assed playing. He’s a great back up to James and I feel like they should let him shine at that rather than showcase him as some ax slinging virtuoso in the band.

Otherwise, a good day to celebrate the band 😎

Last edited:
Back