METALLICA - 72 SEASONS (2023) [FULL ALBUM]

Oh my bad bro…didn’t realize you would rather see another Bad Bunny or Miley Cyrus album be released today rather than a solid hard rock effort from a legendary band.

You guys are drama queens 😂

No, we hold Metallica to a SLIGHTLY higher standard than riff salad with "my first rhyming dictionary" lyrics 😂

If this album was an unknown local band, you would think it was bland "meh" too probably

No, we hold Metallica to a SLIGHTLY higher standard than riff salad with "my first rhyming dictionary" lyrics 😂

If this album was an unknown local band, you would think it was bland "meh" too probably
Ok, but at this point in their career, how much higher of a standard? Maybe not you in particular Dan but I feel others STILL to this day expect a MOP or AJFA 2.0. Metallica hasn't been a "heavy metal" band for...gee....I don't know...30+ years now??? People need to let go of the 80's already and just get over it. They've permenantly evolved to where they are and not going back. Lars doesn't have the technical ability to do so anymore even if he wanted to anyway.

I'm not sticking up for the quality of this new album btw, because it's certainly lackluster. I rate it a generous 6 out of 10. Again, I stand by my statement that its solid. Doesn't suck and DEFINITELY doesn't have anything memorable on it other than that embarrassing Tom Petty filler in Kirks solo. This album is a repeat of the Hardwired To Self Destruct formula. They are going to become the new AC/DC in terms of repeating themselves every album.

Ok, but at this point in their career, how much higher of a standard? Maybe not you in particular Dan but I feel others STILL to this day expect a MOP or AJFA 2.0. Metallica hasn't been a "heavy metal" band for...gee....I don't know...30+ years now??? People need to let go of the 80's already and just get over it. They've permenantly evolved to where they are and not going back. Lars doesn't have the technical ability to do so anymore even if he wanted to anyway.

I'm not sticking up for the quality of this new album btw, because it's certainly lackluster. I rate it a generous 6 out of 10. Again, I stand by my statement that its solid. Doesn't suck and DEFINITELY doesn't have anything memorable on it other than that embarrassing Tom Petty filler in Kirks solo. This album is a repeat of the Hardwired To Self Destruct formula. They are going to become the new AC/DC in terms of repeating themselves every album.

That's the crux of the issue - they haven't "evolved" - they've devolved, into a low effort, low creativity pile of insipid banality.

You can't seriously listen to those riffs and say they aren't "trying" to be metal? They've even stated in interviews that they are going "back to their roots" and making metal again - SPECIFICALLY.

The problem isn't the genre, or "if it's metal or not," the problem is the lack of creativity in any way. Listen to that vocal melody on the first song - it's like he ad libbed the lyrics on the spot.

It isn't that I expect MOP part II, the problem is I expect at least EFFORT of some kind

Overall I'm quite pleased. I'm gonna buy the vinyl

i really wish i could be as pumped on Metallica as you always are. its a perfect day here for a new metallica album, its like a mid summer day in not even mid april, nothing id love more than to roll the windows down and blast new metallica and be pumped to listen to it over and over, even just at least be decent.. but no. it bums me out

Last edited:
Only run through it once so I need to give it a few more listens but it's about what I expected from the singles I'd heard. It's not mind blowing but its not chunks blowing either. Very derivative of HWTSD. Same modern production shortfalls. I miss having James' tone being something that was amazing, last time it was, was on the Mercyful Fate melody/Garage Inc album.
The last song really stood out for me, seemed to be the most developed and constructed. Rob's bass sounds good on the album. Kirk is as repetitive and half arsed as I expected, (but he's rich so its ok). His habit of playing an improv lick twice in a row, then moving onto the next lick, play it twice and on and on it goes is far too predictable, on the last few albums at least. I'm burned out on his shit. A participation ribbon for him at best. That recent article of him justifying his newer style is the weakest cop out I've ever read. Anyway.

I hated TBA album and Load on their releases and grew into them over time. After being let down so much twice in a row by my then favourite band I adjusted my expectations and accepted that no band will really capture those peak lightning in a bottle type early albums. Every band changes and I always have the old records to play when I want. I'm also not the same young punk I was back then either. Later career albums are just a bonus to the catalog. I can't think of really any that have really surpassed their early peak albums for me.

Something new to blast in the car or on a run. I'll see how much it grows on me.

Very disappointing. They need to get the hell out of that "HQ" studio of theirs. They don't craft songs in there, James is in there riffing and hunting for something good but isn't allowed to move on from anything as Lars insists on 'arranging' verses and choruses from throwaway riffs and before you know it he's scurried next door to the pro-tools rig and is crowbarring them into another aimless 7 minute long catastrophe. They should have just sent James home with a Fostex 4track, drum machine and no more than 30 mins of tape.

Kirk is as repetitive and half arsed as I expected, (but he's rich so its ok). His habit of playing an improv lick twice in a row, then moving onto the next lick, play it twice and on and on it goes is far too predictable, on the last few albums at least. I'm burned out on his shit. A participation ribbon for him at best. That recent article of him justifying his newer style is the weakest cop out I've
ever read.

So much of this.

I know it seems I always shit on the guy, but again, he weakens the track that much more when they force him to do a solo. I really don’t enjoy capping on him because I’m sure he’s a fantastic human being in person.

Listened to the album a 2nd time and I think I’m done with it now. Songs are just too long for no good reason. Inamorata managed to catch my attention for a minute but then it turned into My Friend of Misery part 2. Bands often repeat or copy themselves, which is fine. It’s part of what gives a band their sound and identity but this album is sadly a rehash of their past stuff.

I've listened to it twice today on a road trip back home from work. Its an OK album, going to take time to grow on me, Load, Re-load, St Anger, DM, HWTSD were the same and I remember the first time I heard Load and felt let down by it because it wasn't what I was expecting. If you go into their new releases with an expectation, you're setting yourself up to be disappointed. Nothing is ever going to reach that pinnacle of their catalog like MOP did. The coolest part for me though is my 16 year old son blowing up my phone last night after he downloaded the album. He was absolutely stoked about it and giving me his excited opinions on the songs and riffs he liked. To me, that's even better than hearing the album. It took me back to being that 16 year old kid hearing the Black album and learning it front to back and playing along with it. He's got that same level of excitement and passion for the music. To me, thats what it's all about. A legacy band who got their start in the early 80s is still putting out music 40 plus years later and inspiring kids to pick up a guitar and learn to play. Whether you like their music or not, that's pretty fucking powerful that they can still invoke that kind of passion several generations away from their starting point.

Lulu > St. Anger > 72 Seasons

1EFBA3FF-6210-4FF5-B571-DD194E321E88.png

Yup...listened to it today while jogging by the beach. I like most of it. It's better than the new Overkill. Had hopes for that...but didn't care for it. Besides their singles, I like You Must Burn, Chasing Light, and Too Far Gone. The last two songs coulda been just axed from the album as far as I'm concerned though. Room of Mirrors and Inamorta are fillers/boring. Still woulda clocked in at 1 hour 2 minutes without those two lame songs. The only credit I give to Inamorta is they finally do guitar harmonies on it. Took the whole album to have some harmonies, but last song they do some.

I should also add, the people insinuating that they put no effort into it, just take short cuts and don't have passion for music are disingenuous. They have no idea what's reality. Metallica could do stadium tours, possibly have a stay in Vegas and make $$$$ hand over fist for the rest of their careers. Putting out new material takes effort, even if people don't like it. To me that shows they still have passion for what they do. Some might see them as devolving and I think that's fine. I can't imagine they care. After all these years they're still relevant, putting out new material and selling out stadiums. Sounds like a pretty good situation to me. BTW, they still PLAY their music, unlike the degenerate band that's recently been brought up.

I’ve made the analogy before but metallica fans to me are more like most sport fans, they support the name on the jersey no matter what and that’s it. Even when people know the product on the field isn’t what it should be they are going to look for things like “we got this young guy” or “they play real hard” or whatever they can tell themselves to feel better about a lackluster product. I’ve never seen another band able to hold their fan base the way a sports team can like metallica does.

I don't care what anyone else thinks, I'm an original O.G. Metallica fan from 85' on and i dig all of it. The songs are drawn out a bit on parts but sounds like a band enjoying what they are doing and having fun.

Bob Rock's sound would have been perfect for this album though.

Back