Mike Bendinelli at MESA/Boogie No Longer Doing Mods **UPDATE**

I think it’s absolutely retarded that in this day of DIY amp building and mods etc that SOMEONE, SOMEWHERE hasn’t made RP-11 or whatever boards to upgrade IIBs to IICs, and/or the + or ++ mods on Mark IIIs.
Agreed. There is nothing voodoo about electronics. Aside from the IIC transformer, which certainly influences the sound and is unobtanium, everything else could be easily understood, and perhaps even improved upon a bit. It's only valve technology.

I have a Mark IIB with the loop mod (does that make it a IIB+, lol) that needs some minor work, but before digging into it the first thing I was planning on doing is tracing out the circuit in a line to line...to understand what is going on with the IIB design (the online schematics are questionable) and to understand the loop mod. But, this guy just saved me the time:

Cloning aside: Were I the owner of an aging IIC+, and not into electronics as a profession, I would absolutely send my amp to Brad along with some cash and a case of beer to draw up a proper schematic and/or layout. Maybe make an entertaining video out of it (he hates Boogies). Years later when something goes wonky and burns up the board, that schematic will be the lifeline to resurrect the amp when Mesa can no longer do the job. These ampliphones are getting to be small investments, so think of an accurate schematic as a way to protect them in the future.

Reactions: LCW
does brad still do repiars for people? i thought he made a video about stopping that. I have this old Audio Guild Co. Universal amp from the late 60s that i can't find much info on, and would like to get teched, and i think it would make a great vid for him because there isn't shit out there about these. they're supposed to be in the magnatone flavor.

more boogie data dump... here is a mark IIc++ i had at one point. didn't take values of anything, just took a bunch of high rez pics...maybe someone can figure something out from these pics. https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1bUD6D5uy2hqkkIlu5x95shgUU5bV8hRy?usp=sharing

I could tell the last time I dealt with him,
he was over the hump with it.
Great dude.
He did the 2C++ to my 2C and added a functioning/usable Fendery clean channel.
He made a custom 2 button Mesa footswitch
with led's for it. So I could channel switch and use the eq's like a real 2 channel after the 2C++ mod. RAD!!💯
I will say..90 watts crankin' outta that machine
was PUNISHING.
I remember on Halloween night one year dressing up like The Riddler' and jammin' Pantera riffs for the incoming trick or treater's with that amp just kickin' all kinds of ass.
Official NO 🚫 WIMPS beast of an amp.

I think it’s absolutely retarded that in this day of DIY amp building and mods etc that SOMEONE, SOMEWHERE hasn’t made RP-11 or whatever boards to upgrade IIBs to IICs, and/or the + or ++ mods on Mark IIIs.
Some dude in Russia was supposedly making them. Like 10 years ago. But, crickets. Apparently it didn't work right.

Agreed. There is nothing voodoo about electronics. Aside from the IIC transformer, which certainly influences the sound and is unobtanium, everything else could be easily understood, and perhaps even improved upon a bit. It's only valve technology.

I have a Mark IIB with the loop mod (does that make it a IIB+, lol) that needs some minor work, but before digging into it the first thing I was planning on doing is tracing out the circuit in a line to line...to understand what is going on with the IIB design (the online schematics are questionable) and to understand the loop mod. But, this guy just saved me the time:

Cloning aside: Were I the owner of an aging IIC+, and not into electronics as a profession, I would absolutely send my amp to Brad along with some cash and a case of beer to draw up a proper schematic and/or layout. Maybe make an entertaining video out of it (he hates Boogies). Years later when something goes wonky and burns up the board, that schematic will be the lifeline to resurrect the amp when Mesa can no longer do the job. These ampliphones are getting to be small investments, so think of an accurate schematic as a way to protect them in the future.

Problem is, no matter WHAT the amp or circuit, they just can't truly be cloned can they? Because no matter who tries (Plexi for one) these clones still don't sound or feel like the originals. The circuit is EXACTLY the same, right value resistors/caps throughout, yet they are still far apart soundwise? Because the TYPES of resistors and caps aren't made anymore nor are the transformers. So they won't be the same, no matter what anyone says about 'it's not voodoo' they still cannot clone correctly any of these amps because the vintage parts used are LONG GONE.
That's why the originals will always be sought out, because no clone will sound like them.

I'll have to think about it man, I hate shipping out amps. Honestly it's not that great of an amp especially if you are looking for high gain. And it doesn't have the board that you can upgrade to a iic.
Just lemme know.

I'll have to think about it man, I hate shipping out amps. Honestly it's not that great of an amp especially if you are looking for high gain. And it doesn't have the board that you can upgrade to a iic.
None of the IIB’s can be upgraded to a IIC+ (unless you have a donor preamp board). I will say, some IIB Coil’s just kill, though!

None of the IIB’s can be upgraded to a IIC+ (unless you have a donor preamp board). I will say, some IIB Coil’s just kill, though!
My Coli has a serial that puts it right in the beginning of the 2C range, but was a B until Mike converted it. But, it sounded/felt like a III in that it was super tight/gainy without the need for a pedal. These 2Bs evolved from loose/vintage sounding to tight/modern over the 3 years they were made.

My Coli has a serial that puts it right in the beginning of the 2C range, but was a B until Mike converted it. But, it sounded/felt like a III in that it was super tight/gainy without the need for a pedal. These 2Bs evolved from loose/vintage sounding to tight/modern over the 3 years they were made.
Yes, mine too... one of the last 7 or 8 made. No mods, passes the loop test, and plays more like a C+ than a B in terms of tightness and feel, but with B voicing. Just an awesome amp!

Problem is, no matter WHAT the amp or circuit, they just can't truly be cloned can they? Because no matter who tries (Plexi for one) these clones still don't sound or feel like the originals. The circuit is EXACTLY the same, right value resistors/caps throughout, yet they are still far apart soundwise? Because the TYPES of resistors and caps aren't made anymore nor are the transformers. So they won't be the same, no matter what anyone says about 'it's not voodoo' they still cannot clone correctly any of these amps because the vintage parts used are LONG GONE.
That's why the originals will always be sought out, because no clone will sound like them.
^This, 100%. Sort of the Ship of Theseus argument. If you have an original C+ and slowly replace everything in it with modern spec/value equivalents over time, when everything is eventually replaced, would you still have an original C+ that sounds the same as it did?

That’s a firm no for me. There’s brands of filter caps alone I can’t stand using because I hear/feel a difference. Imagine if the entire amp was modern equivalents.

This is a good thread.

Although I have no interest in circuit cloning, so wasn't commenting on that, your statement on parts selection requires some nuance. This is a matter of diminishing returns. No amp sounds quite like itself from day to day due to thermal, voltage and even humidity variations, and no two of the 'same' amps off the assembly line, especially those with a great deal of hand labor to build like an early Mesa Mark or Marshall Plexi will sound exactly alike. Therefore, if you WANT to talk about cloning, it's a bit like tilting at windmills. Are you also using those terrible Black Diamond strings, a real PAF...do you have a brand new old stock greenback which hasn't been worn out...NOS tubes...dare I say technique...the list goes on and on.

The good news is that from a parts selection perspective, you don't need all vintage components to sound good. Certain locations of the circuit have a greater influence on tone, and for those if you have to replace a failed small signal component it is worth tracking down a quality vintage part. I think Metroamp has demonstrated with some smart analysis you can pretty well recreate a specific example of a vintage amp by using the critical quality components where they matter most.

Where the story gets harder is with the high voltage (crappy) electrolytic capacitors. Even if you could find NOS versions on ebay, it would be silly to use them because they are probably questionable. Which brings me to the amps. I agree the original Marks will always be sought out, but they are now at the troublesome age of needing new electrolytics. You can delay this service because you like the tone, but soon those are going to be toast, and when they leak they will likely damage those beautiful hand-drawn circuit boards, and if they fail catastrophically they could damage adjacent components as well. When this happens in the future, if Mesa is no longer able to service the vintage amps, hopefully there will be an accurate schematic to put humpty dumpty back together again and solder in some jumpers to repair the boards (this is where the Marshall turret board construction method makes things easier). It won't sound exactly the same because the parasitics have changed in the layout. It will also get brand new caps, so likewise won't sound the same. None of the amps will over time, and that's the cycle of electronics. They will turn into at least a partial ship of theseus. (isn't folklore that Adam Jones keeps his SuperBass in a freezer to delay this, lol, much vanity)

I bring this up because these products are cool, and I want your crap to work. All of the awesome vintage digital effects processors from the 80's are going through this phase right now as well, they all need new electrolytics or they turn into Eventide doorstops (or degrade into really noisy/unusable machines, plus the EEPROMS will likely start failing in another decade or two). In general the digital stuff is more fickle to component degradation than analog amps, and you can certainly find examples of old Superleads rocking their original caps, but the clock is ticking and they definitely don't sound like when they were new, even if they sound good.

Just something to think about. Option 1: get it serviced/recapped now by Mike before he leaves, buy yourself another 30-40 years piece of mind, but possibly lose some sweet toans (isn't it all metal anyways, haha). On the other hand do nothing, enjoy your vintage Mesa until it does fail, and hope the factory is still willing to service the vintage stuff and/or local techs finally have access to the right schematics to help you out. Hope they don't unintentionally disable some of the custom circuit tweaks due to lack of documentation.

Analogy time: I remember when Harley Davidson stopped carrying parts for or servicing anything with a carburetor, because they didn't want to train their techs on the old stuff and wanted their customers to purchase new bikes instead of wrenching. Fortunately the body of knowledge had migrated to the public, so you can find all kinds of mom&pop parts suppliers and techs. This has already happened with the old Marshall designs, and similarly will need to happen with Mesa to keep the old Marks happy for years to come.

The Triaxis is a whole other level of timebomb though, haha. I need to buy 4 for future organ transplants.

Tell that to my 12 yo self back in 1972......
It's a miracle we didn't cause dire harm with some of the crap we
pulled trying to play hometown gigs at places with ancient wiring.

Ever melted a penny in a fuse box?
boy-puts-knife-in-plugin-outlet.jpg

"Sam started with Electronics at an early age" ...

Tell that to my 12 yo self back in 1972......
It's a miracle we didn't cause dire harm with some of the crap we
pulled trying to play hometown gigs at places with ancient wiring.

Ever melted a penny in a fuse box?

Pro tip: When you put the penny in the fusebox, you are supposed to ceremoniously say "In god we trust".

It won't protect you from getting shocked, but you're supposed to do it, lol.

Last edited:
Taken numerous 115v hits, 230 a couple times. Grounded out 460v 3 phase doing Electrical [don't recommend that].
When i was 10 someone had just showed me how to test a 9volt with my tongue.
Soon after that i was at the Farm store where i saw a 24 volt lantern battery.
Using the same technique as the 9 volt test it was then that i was acquainted with voltage & amperes.
JauntyOblongCoot-small.gif

does brad still do repiars for people? i thought he made a video about stopping that. I have this old Audio Guild Co. Universal amp from the late 60s that i can't find much info on, and would like to get teched, and i think it would make a great vid for him because there isn't shit out there about these. they're supposed to be in the magnatone flavor.

more boogie data dump... here is a mark IIc++ i had at one point. didn't take values of anything, just took a bunch of high rez pics...maybe someone can figure something out from these pics. https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1bUD6D5uy2hqkkIlu5x95shgUU5bV8hRy?usp=sharing
I would be happy to work on your amp, just let me know. I haven’t done repair videos, but could do one.

That's nothing compared to the 5 megawatt rectifier I'm rebuilding right now lol
There was a slight issue when it took a 10K amp hit off the negative as u can see on left.

Attachments

• 20210326_141828.jpg
    20210326_141828.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 149
Back