Mike Bendinelli at MESA/Boogie No Longer Doing Mods **UPDATE**

My guess is like stop doing the IIC+ mods for the Mark series and then in like a year do a “heritage” or “classic” series which has a flagship model in a IIC+ with all the goodies for like $4k+ new, fancy headshell, COA, etc etc etc - have Metallica & Petrucci play it and boom they’ll sell a shit ton. I’m honestly amazed that Mesa hasn’t done anything like that yet
That's nothing compared to the 5 megawatt rectifier I'm rebuilding right now lol
There was a slight issue when it took a 10K amp hit off the negative as u can see on left.
Da fuck? Looks like a Flux Capacitor! Careful Sparky, thats 1.21 jigawatts!

Using the same technique as the 9 volt test it was then that i was acquainted with voltage & amperes.
Priceless. My worst one playing was in a basement rec hall when I kneeled on a wet carpet while cradling
my guitar with my forearm. Right knee to right arm and I got slammed. Always wonder what would
have happened if it had been my left knee.

Kissed 110V on a microphone more times than I can remember.

Back in the early 80s I had a job testing high voltage power supplies for medical equipment.
3,500 volts at 4 amps. The test room had a 1" rubber mat on the floor, you had to wear leather gloves
over rubber ones, and there was always 2 people in the room at all times. One does the measuring
and the other sits in a chair in the corner holding a large rubber shaft with a hook on the end.

If 1 tester got sucked into the circuit the other was to hit the emergency breaker and then use the stick
to yank the person away.

The main transformer in the chassis took an engine hoist to install and there were capacitors twice the
size of 16 oz soda cans. Always fun discharging those with a shorting stick when the unit was off.

Forget to turn the unit off first? LOUD crack and spark and then the shorting stick is literally welded
to the cap screws.

Last edited:
Priceless. My worst one playing was in a basement rec hall when I kneeled on a wet carpet while cradling
my guitar with my forearm. Right knee to right arm and I got slammed. Always wonder what would
have happened if it had been my left knee.

Kissed 110V on a microphone more times than I can remember.

Back in the early 80s I had a job testing high voltage power supplies for medical equipment.
3,500 volts at 4 amps. The test room had a 1" rubber mat on the floor, you had to wear leather gloves
over rubber ones, and there was always 2 people in the room at all times. One does the measuring
and the other sits in a chair in the corner holding a large rubber shaft with a large hook on the end.

If 1 tester got sucked into the circuit the other was to hit the emergency breaker and then use the stick
to try and yank the person away.

The main transformer in the chassis took an engine hoist to install and there were capacitors twice the
size of 16 oz soda cans. Always fun discharging those with a shorting stick when the unit was off.

Forget to turn the unit off first? LOUD crack and spark and then the shorting stick is literally welded
to the cap screws.
The hot mic thing is seriously not good. There have been & were many killed in the 60's & 70's with those hodge-podge PA setups run by un-qualified people.
Was playing a gig barefoot once on semi-wet/damp concrete slab. Was shocked in my picking hand. Small arc between my hand & pickup.
That was nothing compared to licking that 24 volt lantern battery. It had 2 flat contacts on the top similar to a 9 volt.
Made a "SNAP" sounding arc on my tongue
Store clerk came running over, i got dizzy.
Don't know how many DC amps that was.
Never did that again tho lol.
Was more embarrassed than anything.

Made a "SNAP" sounding arc on my tongue

"I love the taste of fried spit in the morning."

duke.jpg

Just remembered a couple non-music ones. As a young lad cutting lawns I once tried turning
off a mower by removing the spark plug cap.
Once.
Had a job blowing treated paper insulation into old attics, etc. This one house was really
far from where the feed truck was so someone had to tend the long hose half-way so it didn't clog.
Basically give it a kick every few seconds. Brainiac me figured if I drape the hose over my
shoulder maybe it will flow easier. A few seconds later and BAM!!! I'm on the ground seeing stars.
No wires or plugs or anything - just a very large static discharge.
I think I know how it must feel to catch a 2 x 4 off-side the skull.

Last edited:
I too have tasted the fury of a shitty grounded Microphone.. LOL

I've also been hit with a DC Capacitor off a Microwave.. No telling how may volts it was, but it felt like I got hit with a Baseball Bat..

I think it’s absolutely retarded that in this day of DIY amp building and mods etc that SOMEONE, SOMEWHERE hasn’t made RP-11 or whatever boards to upgrade IIBs to IICs, and/or the + or ++ mods on Mark IIIs.
Burger Boogie boards...has a nice ring to it. :yes:

It's not rocket science and they aren't gooped. Not really that hard to reverse and I'd be shocked if not already. They might not post about it because of all the BS. Everybody would be bugging them about it.

Burger Boogie boards...has a nice ring to it. :yes:

It's not rocket science and they aren't gooped. Not really that hard to reverse and I'd be shocked if not already. They might not post about it because of all the BS. Everybody would be bugging them about it.
You'd think so....but still, no dice. People did buy the supposed cloned boards out of Russia 10 yrs ago and crickets. I guess it didn't quite work like they had planned. Hell, even Mesa can't even duplicate the real C+ with the JP. That should put any true cloning to rest. Just can't be done, probably due to the OG parts that aren't made anymore.

You'd think so....but still, no dice. People did buy the supposed cloned boards out of Russia 10 yrs ago and crickets. I guess it didn't quite work like they had planned. Hell, even Mesa can't even duplicate the real C+ with the JP. That should put any true cloning to rest. Just can't be done, probably due to the OG parts that aren't made anymore.
I wouldn't expect a new build to sound like the originals for the reasons you stated. But people build SLO clones that don't measure up, Dumble clones that don't measure up, and Marshalls galore that don't measure up. Doesn't seem to stop people from trying.

And up until recently, Mike B would do the mods and service for very reasonable money so there really was no draw for anyone else to do the mods.

I have two 1985 Simul, and one 1984 Simul C+ amps. They do sound a little different. Most likely to the components used to build them. Neither is bad, just a little different. Same preamp tubes in all the amps. No knobs on "10", so anything should be able to dialed in or out. All EVM-12L speakers.

Welp. I'll thank my lucky stars I just picked up a SRG IIC+ off the forums and just bought a new headshell from Mesa for it. :D I'm wondering if he's stepping down from mods because of the Transformer issue that's been going down the past couple months. He's probably busy helping spec/test all new stuff out.

I think he's just swamped with all the service he's got stacked, and had no time for anything else. We'll see how it pans out in a few months.

I suddenly now miss my Boogie MK IV ... :inlove::inlove::inlove:
"yeah i knew that was coming once Gibson bought Mesa.
God help us Mesa owners now. Thats why i sold my MK IV.
Mikes had a good run, time to enjoy other things"

"Wrong again sold that over a year ago.
Stop the presses."

"Don't cry or anything its just a fucking amp.
Millions of them Bro."

I guess my advice would be: Enjoy other things. It's just a fucking amp. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Yesterday I was told that Mike Bendinelli would not be taking mods until Summer. So this individual led me to believe that he will continue doing them. What sucks is that my amp is there now; better than halfway through the 6 week leadtime for recap and check. So I was told to check back with them only to have to go through another 6 week or longer wait plus roundtrip shipping costs. I even tried to buy the supplies to do the mods I wanted. They will not do that either. I'm probably not going to be sending anything back to them.

Last edited:
Huh. I had maintenance on a Mark III done recently; took about a month.

It's definitely not yet summer. Most wouldn't consider it summer in the US until after Memorial Day, I think.

Back