My homage to the great Tube Screamer and varients. The FrankenScreamer

So, I was kind of holding back. There actually a somewhat rare pedal that recently came out called the CKK Scream
Honey. It was touted as a great drive for Marshall boasting that it doesn’t attenuate lowend. I reverse engineered this pedal that people are charging a lot of money for and it a simple TS 808 circuit with a few mods to not attenuate the lowend. It has 2 switches called bold and hollow. The bold is nothing more than a sym/asymmetric switch for the diodes. The hollow switches between the traditional .22uf to ground between stages with 1k->.15uf to ground. The switches are subtle at best. Any way, my 3 switch is to shift to the CKK specs. I did a really quick demo of dirty amp/boosted 808 spec/boosted CKK spec.

You will need full range speakers but the low end is pretty prominent

Last edited:
So, I was kind of holding back. There actually a somewhat rare pedal that recently came out called the CKK Scream
Honey. It was touted as a great drive for Marshall boating that it doesn’t attenuate lowend. I reverse engineered this pedal that people are charging a lot of money for and it a simple TS 808 circuit with a few mods to not attenuate the lowend. It has 2 switches Calle bold and hollow. The bold is nothing more than a sym/asymmetric switch for the diodes. The hollow switches between the traditional .22uf to ground between stages with 1k->.15uf to ground. The switches are subtle at best. Any way, my 3 switch is to shift to the CKK specs. I did and really quick demo of dirty amp/boosted 808 spec/boosted CKK spec.

You will need full range speakers but the low end is pretty prominent

Doesn’t the scream honey tout some unobtainium NOS Op Amp? Is that all just BS?

Doesn’t the scream honey tout some unobtainium NOS Op Amp? Is that all just BS?
If its unobtanium why hide what it is? Just saying…. Can’t choppy if you can’t get it, right? That said, CKK sold these peas ar
$200. It was the crazies afterward that drove up the price for this magical new design that’s a tube screamer with a few switches that do little, and a cap change in the opamp feedback to let more low end through.

I used a 1983 JRC4558. Not much better choices than that for these circuits. My experience with opamps, is that the differences are noticeable in some, but subtle at best.

Last edited:
Was messing around with the clean channel of my Cameron CCV clone with diodes set to max. Boosting with the pedal set to the CKK mode (more lowend). Gain 11:00, volume max, tone 2:00

This is what a TS808 sounds like with diodes switches out of circuit and the resistor inline with the gain pot dropped from 51k to 10k allowing you to clean up more. You can use it for a little more mids and sparkly.

Last edited:
Haha. Was just talking to someone that if I could get help designing a PCB to streamline, I’d consider doing a batch. Tayda can do predrllled color UV printed enclosures on the cheap. Too many stakes in the fire right now to do ground up stuff.
Keeley has done some collaborations with other pedal companies in the past and come up with cool stuff. Would be cool if you could do something like that with him or another company.

I love the Frankenscreamer thing. Would be awesome to have a green painted pedal with bolts on the side, etc. Lol

I got to mess around with this pedal. Scott has made a most versatile TS type pedal. Different clippers, bass boost, Landgraff mode with more gain...
Plus the gain and tone knobs seem more useable. Anyone that likes the TS thing will looooove this pedal.

Back