NAD: Diezel Herbert mkII

LunatiBSW":1rs0nvsr said:
Wizard of Ozz":1rs0nvsr said:
mhenson42":1rs0nvsr said:
LunatiBSW":1rs0nvsr said:
sg guy":1rs0nvsr said:
-I'm a former HERB owner, what's the difference between the first & MK II's?

No exactly sure. Don't think too many folks have had both besides Wizard of OzZ

I've had both. There's not really a tonal difference between the two. MK1 may be preferable to some since you can get one with external bias, that's about it.

I'd say the MKII and MKI sound about 80% the same. The clean channel stays cleaner at volume and bit louder overall on the MKII. The 3rd channel stays tighter and sounds brighter due to the bigger output transformer on the MKII. Both are great amps.

Peter mentions the differences in the Herbert video they recently put on YouTube.

Good to hear, I trust your ears....

I'm in chugg heaven with the Herbert mkII and my k100 fl cab. Shit. V30's sound a little more versatile with it. But all out metal goes to the k100 With this amp.....DAMN

I still might grab a K100 FL 4X12 just for a different flavor. Hard to go wrong with these cabs.

LunatiBSW":29o73y6a said:
Wizard of Ozz":29o73y6a said:
mhenson42":29o73y6a said:
LunatiBSW":29o73y6a said:
sg guy":29o73y6a said:

I've had both. There's not really a tonal difference between the two. MK1 may be preferable to some since you can get one with external bias, that's about it.

I'd say the MKII and MKI sound about 80% the same. The clean channel stays cleaner at volume and bit louder overall on the MKII. The 3rd channel stays tighter and sounds brighter due to the bigger output transformer on the MKII. Both are great amps.

Peter mentions the differences in the Herbert video they recently put on YouTube.

I'm in chugg heaven with the Herbert mkII and my k100 fl cab. Shit. V30's sound a little more versatile with it. But all out metal goes to the k100 With this amp.....DAMN

Try it with v30/K100 in an x pattern. That's what I thought sounded best with my Diezels (in a Mills cab)

mhenson42":1j86z5wv said:
LunatiBSW":1j86z5wv said:
Wizard of Ozz":1j86z5wv said:
mhenson42":1j86z5wv said:
LunatiBSW":1j86z5wv said:
sg guy":1j86z5wv said:

Try it with v30/K100 in an x pattern. That's what I thought sounded best with my Diezels (in a Mills cab)

I was gonna do an x pattern. But I'm going with (2) 412's. One cab with k100/ the other with v30.
180w through two cabs is INSANE, and I love it

-I'll have to find that video of peter talking about the differences, here's why I ask, I run a stereo rig, I need something that can keep up with a 100w WIZARD MC II, first thing that came to my mind was the HERB, polar opposites, but if the MK II has more headroom than the MK I, that might be a match made in heaven, or it would totally suck, plan B would be another WIZARD.

-appreciate the input

sg guy":3cks9r24 said:
-I'll have to find that video of peter talking about the differences, here's why I ask, I run a stereo rig, I need something that can keep up with a 100w WIZARD MC II, first thing that came to my mind was the HERB, polar opposites, but if the MK II has more headroom than the MK I, that might be a match made in heaven, or it would totally suck, plan B would be another WIZARD.

-appreciate the input

From my experience (having owned/played the VH4 & Herbert side by side with a Wizard MTL and MC/MCII) Nothing can keep up with that MCII except an MTL. ;)

...and maybe an SLO

I will say that my Fryette UL is the closest amp I've played to my Wizard MTL and my favorite 2 amp tone of all time was the UL and VH4

As some of you know the K85 & K100 are the same speaker. You can find Peavey cabs from the 80's with four K85 for around $200. The cabs don't sound bad.

mhenson42":11iwyb8j said:
sg guy":11iwyb8j said:

-appreciate the input

From my experience (having owned/played the VH4 & Herbert side by side with a Wizard MTL and MC/MCII) Nothing can keep up with that MCII except an MTL. ;)

...and maybe an SLO

I will say that my Fryette UL is the closest amp I've played to my Wizard MTL and my favorite 2 amp tone of all time was the UL and VH4

-funny you mention the SLO, that was plan "C".

There's not much difference between MK1 and 2 Herberts. One of the transformers is different and there is more headroom on the clean channel. Why that was changed, I have no idea. A MK1 can get blazingly loud on CH1 while still being clean. The Herbert to own, IMHO, is a MK1 with external bias points. It's so easy to change tubes and rebias when you have external test points and pots.

I retubed my MK1 yesterday and i have to say its so easy!
Pull out of the casing
change the power and preamp tubes
take fuse out per pair and bias (i dit all three pairs about 3 times each)
Put the amp back in the casing
This all in 1 hour.
Rock on!

Enjoy the amp, i have been enjoying mine since 2010. And yes, all knobs at noon except the master ;)
For ch2 and ch3 i always have the midcut on, i use one mid cut setting, intensity: 8/9 o'clock and level: 12 o'clock. This ads a depth i love.
At band volumes i would use this mid cut setting only on ch3 when playing lead, but depends on the cab i was using then.

This is the amp for me. I have also started playing jazz for 2 years now and the clean channel fits perfect! no need for a other amp.

At home ive been using a broken in ENGL 1X12, its all i need. When playing out a 4X12 V30 was just killer, the thump and growl where amazing. When rehearsing other players from other rooms would come and compliment the sound.

RJF":1d93xln3 said:
There's not much difference between MK1 and 2 Herberts. One of the transformers is different and there is more headroom on the clean channel. Why that was changed, I have no idea. A MK1 can get blazingly loud on CH1 while still being clean. The Herbert to own, IMHO, is a MK1 with external bias points. It's so easy to change tubes and rebias when you have external test points and pots.

Imho, tube changes are like yearly or every other year for me, plus I like seeing the guts.
The guy above also still took the chassis out, so that's the same work.
I'd rather have the better tone. Bigger tranny = bigger tone. Everyone's ears are diff, some people can't tell difference between non similar amps, so your opinions are your opinions. I feel like there is some defensiveness with the mk1 and II thing. Y'all say small differences. But most of us spend a primo on these boutique amps because we have more discerning ears. We can tell the differences
But in my experience with business, new revisions are warranted when there are significant enough changes from an original.
I'm not gonna by an old One to compare, but Since I know wizard of ozz had his mk1 for over 5 years and now has extensive knowledge with mkII (owning, not just playing a few times), and we have similar styles and tastes. Im going to trust his judgement on the tone.
sorry to say there's gonna be differences. It doesn't make the mk1 bad, just the OG.
I love my Herbert MkII, it's a lifer amp. Gives me lowend like no other.
Volumes sound as good or better at tv volumes than any high gainer out, you turn it up, it gets better, doesn't fall apart. Heavy, biggest transformers I've seen in an amp.

Still wouldn't mind trying a wizard sometime though. But the herb wouldn't leave to do it.

sg guy":2k6emacz said:
mhenson42":2k6emacz said:
sg guy":2k6emacz said:

-appreciate the input

...and maybe an SLO

I still have yet to try an slo, I'm not much classic rock, mainly metal, you think it does metal?
I've thought about one many times, but I see mainly rock guys using them

LunatiBSW":3scbghlz said:
sg guy":3scbghlz said:
mhenson42":3scbghlz said:
sg guy":3scbghlz said:

-appreciate the input

...and maybe an SLO

I still have yet to try an slo, I'm not much classic rock, mainly metal, you think it does metal?

It certainly can but it's not gonna be as mid-scooped as the Herbert with the mid-cut.

mhenson42":210rpx2r said:
LunatiBSW":210rpx2r said:
sg guy":210rpx2r said:
mhenson42":210rpx2r said:
sg guy":210rpx2r said:

-appreciate the input

...and maybe an SLO

It certainly can but it's not gonna be as mid-scooped as the Herbert with the mid-cut.

Thanks bud!
So what does metal better? SLO or wizard mtl?

LunatiBSW":ujx3h9mf said:
sg guy":ujx3h9mf said:
mhenson42":ujx3h9mf said:
sg guy":ujx3h9mf said:

-appreciate the input

...and maybe an SLO

Ive got the SLO and it is definitely more hard rock to '80s metal. Mines in storage right now as I don't use it much. Even with a boost and not a "metal amp" per se. Also very loud.

LunatiBSW":16wdd8u8 said:
sg guy":16wdd8u8 said:
mhenson42":16wdd8u8 said:
sg guy":16wdd8u8 said:

-appreciate the input

...and maybe an SLO

Ive got the SLO and it is definitely more hard rock to '80s metal. Mines in storage right now as I don't use it much. Even with a boost its not a "metal amp" per se. Also very loud.

LunatiBSW":1n9wkm4j said:
mhenson42":1n9wkm4j said:
LunatiBSW":1n9wkm4j said:
sg guy":1n9wkm4j said:
mhenson42":1n9wkm4j said:
sg guy":1n9wkm4j said:

-appreciate the input

...and maybe an SLO

Thanks bud!

I'm interested in this comparison too.

LunatiBSW":5fjto03m said:
mhenson42":5fjto03m said:
LunatiBSW":5fjto03m said:
sg guy":5fjto03m said:
mhenson42":5fjto03m said:
sg guy":5fjto03m said:

-appreciate the input

...and maybe an SLO

Thanks bud!

The Wizard of course! :D , but I really want an SLO, not because I like it better....more because it's an iconic amp and I want one in the stable. :LOL: :LOL:

I will admit, all these Diezel threads are giving me GAS for another Diezel, but I'd probably end up selling it again.

mhenson42":234j0imq said:
LunatiBSW":234j0imq said:
LunatiBSW":234j0imq said:
sg guy":234j0imq said:
sg guy":234j0imq said:

-appreciate the input

...and maybe an SLO

Thanks bud!

The Wizard of course! :D , but I really want an SLO, not because I like it better....more because it's an iconic amp and I want one in the stable. :LOL: :LOL:

I will admit, all these Diezel threads are giving me GAS for another Diezel, but I'd probably end up selling it again.

I hear that. I feel like I need to own one for a while at least. Rock cred!

I tell ya, the new Herbert with the master at least 1/4 up, with a tight k100 412 FL cab was a game changer for me, it made the attack where I like it, and brought more super tight sub lows. Mids sound 3D still.
If I wouldn't have had the opportunity to actually play that Diezel stack for a bit, I don't know if I ever would have took the plunge on that pairing. I've only had one other k100 experience and it wasn't good cause they were rear loaded.

Back