NAD: It has arrived!!! Headfirst Alta 100

MadAsAHatter

My Headfirst Alta arrived this afternoon and I couldn't have been more excited. I've only spent a few hours turning knobs and poking buttons to get a feel for everything so I'm not going to do a full blown review.
What I will say is that Jason really thought this amp design all the way through and it really shows in functionality and sound. There are a few key things that really stood out to me:
  • There is a big difference in both sound & feel between Vintage & Modern mode Vintage both sounds & feels like you're pushing power tubes. It responds to playing and is very full sounding. Close your eyes & you're listening to the sounds of the 60's & 70's. Switch to Modern and it becomes a little more compressed and really tightens up the bass. Like throwing a boost in front of a JCM. Instant tight modern metal sound.
  • Engaging clip does exactly what you'd expect a clipping diode to do. There is a decent volume drop and here's a part where Jason really thought it out. A second master volume to compensate and MIDI switching to engage both Clip & MV2 with one button press. You don't miss a beat.
  • The 2 bright buttons add a subtle amount of highs in just the right spots. You can engage bright 1 & bright 2 independently or engage both at the same time. Really lets you refine the high end how you want.
  • The gain knobs add saturation but also seem to thicken up the sound too. Kind of in the same vein of how cranking the gain on a NMV amp thickens it up. But on the Alta you can max the gain and it doesn't become oversaturated or flub out.
  • Jason mentioned in a preview video that he designed the Alta to sound how he wanted with all EQ knobs set at noon. This works perfect because I didn't feel like I was having to find a compromise of the EQ knobs between Vintage & Modern modes.
  • All channel & master volume knobs have a good sweep to them. No on 0.5 you can barely hear it and 1 blows out the windows. It's a good gradual increase in volume.
After just a few hours with it my overall initial impressions are high marks. I obviously need to spend more time with it to really figure out how everything interacts. My final thoughts for now are that Jason designed an exceptional amp and he certainly didn't disappoint.

And now for the pics. And I hope @burger doesn't mind, but I had to change the aesthetics a bit more to my style. Don't worry I didn't recover the face, I made a new one. So it can be put back to original

Here it is as original:

1673649201907.png

1673649470487.png

And here it is with my bit of flair; Skull & Roses

1673649568155.png

Congratulations I'd love to hear what it sounds like and once again I posted in another thread I'm trying to stay cheap on my next amplifier and none of you guys are helping me out at all LOL enjoy!

My Headfirst Alta arrived this afternoon and I couldn't have been more excited. I've only spent a few hours turning knobs and poking buttons to get a feel for everything so I'm not going to do a full blown review.
What I will say is that Jason really thought this amp design all the way through and it really shows in functionality and sound. There are a few key things that really stood out to me:
  • There is a big difference in both sound & feel between Vintage & Modern mode Vintage both sounds & feels like you're pushing power tubes. It responds to playing and is very full sounding. Close your eyes & you're listening to the sounds of the 60's & 70's. Switch to Modern and it becomes a little more compressed and really tightens up the bass. Like throwing a boost in front of a JCM. Instant tight modern metal sound.
  • Engaging clip does exactly what you'd expect a clipping diode to do. There is a decent volume drop and here's a part where Jason really thought it out. A second master volume to compensate and MIDI switching to engage both Clip & MV2 with one button press. You don't miss a beat.
  • The 2 bright buttons add a subtle amount of highs in just the right spots. You can engage bright 1 & bright 2 independently or engage both at the same time. Really lets you refine the high end how you want.
  • The gain knobs add saturation but also seem to thicken up the sound too. Kind of in the same vein of how cranking the gain on a NMV amp thickens it up. But on the Alta you can max the gain and it doesn't become oversaturated or flub out.
  • Jason mentioned in a preview video that he designed the Alta to sound how he wanted with all EQ knobs set at noon. This works perfect because I didn't feel like I was having to find a compromise of the EQ knobs between Vintage & Modern modes.
  • All channel & master volume knobs have a good sweep to them. No on 0.5 you can barely hear it and 1 blows out the windows. It's a good gradual increase in volume.
After just a few hours with it my overall initial impressions are high marks. I obviously need to spend more time with it to really figure out how everything interacts. My final thoughts for now are that Jason designed an exceptional amp and he certainly didn't disappoint.

And now for the pics. And I hope @burger doesn't mind, but I had to change the aesthetics a bit more to my style. Don't worry I didn't recover the face, I made a new one. So it can be put back to original

Here it is as original:

View attachment 155026

View attachment 155029

View attachment 155032

“The Days of Swine & Roses”

Here it is as original:

View attachment 155026

View attachment 155029

View attachment 155032

Here’s a tune dedicated to the flavor of the vibe of your customized headshell.
(The days of swine & roses)
-This song has the best screams in metal.

I spent a good chunk of today knob turning, playing and finding my preferred settings. You can take this with a grain of salt since it's still the honeymoon phase, but HOLY CRAP!!!! what a beast of an amp! Pristine clean to full on fire breathing Marshall goodness

Here's what I got and my preferred use so far...

First off the sweep on every knob is exceptional; a full range of adjustment. I'm completely impressed with the Depth and presence knob. They are fully useable across the entire range. None of this all the adjustment is in the last few millimeters of travel and now it's too piercing bullshit like a lot of other amps. Every knob lets you dial things in exactly where you want it.

That said, setting everything at noon really seems to be the sweet spot, then minor adjustments to fit your speakers & the room. Then use vintage/modern, bright 1 & 2 and clip to taste. I have bass/middle/treble for Channel 2 & 3 set at noon. Channel 1 is set a bit more extreme because of the way I'll mostly be using it. More on that later. Presence is set a just past noon. Depth is backed off to about 10-11 o'clock because my 15" speaker already has added bass frequencies. This so far is working best for me and I believe is what Jason intended.

Next is gain. This applies to all three channels. Gain to me functions in 2 ways. Obviously it'll add saturation, but it also thickens up the tone a bit more as you turn it up. This isn't to say it becomes too bloated if you crank the gain or to thin if you back it off. What you get is the right amount of oomph to go perfectly with the amount of saturation you have dialed in. To me this is so it won't sound like a can of angry hornets if if you max out the gain.

I also want to comment a bit on the volumes. As with all the knobs there is a beautiful sweep on both channel and master volumes. The Alta has one of the best MV I've seen on any amp. You don't have to worry about going from too low to hear to ears bleeding going from 0.5 to 1. There is a slight, but noticeable difference between using Channel or Master volume to control overall loudness. I find cranking the Master and using Channel volume to control loudness has a feel similar to a NMV amp. Like you're getting that extra little push from the power tubes thrown into the mix. To me it gives a bit more thickness to the sound and is my preferred way of doing it.

As far as the tonal differences between the 3 channels, there isn't that much. Channels 1 reminds me more of plexi Marshall and Channel 2 & 3 is more JCM. Thought that is probably more amount of gain than tone. Either way it's core Marshall tones through & through. To me it's more about the range of saturation. Channel 3 is a tad bit tighter than 2, but not by a lot. The biggest tonal variation comes from Vintage and Modern modes. Both modes are exactly what you'd expect them to be. Vintage is that open midrange sound and Moderns is tighter low end and a little more compressed. Essentially Vintage = Marshall and Modern = Boosted/Hot Rodded Marshall.

For Bright 1 & 2 they add an extra bit of shimmer just at different frequencies. It's a subtle addition. but enough for you to hear the difference. For me they are best used to help fine tune the top end or add an extra bit of top end for a lead part. Really, Bright 1 & 2 are pretty self explanatory so just use them to taste.

Clip is pretty fun. It's diode clipping that chops the top of the wave form to add more saturation. There is a volume drop associated with it, exactly as you'd expect. Best is to use MV 2 in conjunction with Clip to compensate for the volume drop if you intend to use this function. Personally I don't see much of a use for it in my style of playing on Ch. 2 & 3. They have more than enough saturation for me. Channel 1 is where Clip comes into play for me.

This is where I mentioned my more extreme settings for Ch1 coming into play. A pristine clean is pretty much wasted on me. I always like a little bit of grit. So channel 1 becomes my break up to AC/DC crunch. Ch. 1 is pristine clean, but can also get pretty gainey for a clean channel. I use Modern mode plus clip to push the saturation all the way. Clip doesn't drop the volume as much on Ch1 as it does on Ch 2 & 3 but to me it very slightly thins the tone. I get full AC/DC saturation, but not quite the tone with all knobs set to noon. To get the AC/DC tone I keep the Bass & Treble at just past noon but crank the mids to max. This helps compensate for Modern being tighter & the the effect of Clip. If I want less gain I can disengage clip and or switch to Vintage mode. That will give me edge of breakup to light gain. And in any combo of this, even with the mids cranked it doesn't sound boxy at all.

As for Ch 2 & 3 I'll set EQ to noon and use the rest of the functions for final shaping. I'll likely set Ch 2 to be used more for Hard Rock style crunch and Ch 3 for full on Heavy Metal saturation. From there it's using Vintage/Modern mode and the rest of the functions to fit my mood and the song I'm playing.

Overall I can't say enough about how great of an amp this is. I'd put it up against any modded Marshall type amp and know it'd easily hold its own if not blow some of the more popular amps out the water. It's a bit pricey so it's not an amp you're going to buy on a whim. But if you do decide to go for one I think it's worth every penny. Is this going to be an amp everyone is going to love? There may be a few people around that may not like it, but IMHO you're going to be hard pressed to find someone who doesn't.

Jason has my sincere compliments on designing such an outstanding amp. I can tell everyone now that this is a 1000% keeper so don't expect to see it listed for sale. The Alta has a life long, permanent home with me.

Last edited:
I spent a good chunk of today knob turning, playing and finding my preferred settings. You can take this with a grain of salt since it's still the honeymoon phase, but HOLY CRAP!!!! what a beast of an amp! Pristine clean to full on fire breathing Marshall goodness

First off the sweep on every knob is exceptional; a full range of adjustment. I'm completely impressed with the Depth and presence knob. They are fully useable across the entire range. None of this all the adjustment is in the last few millimeters of travel and now it's too piercing bullshit like a lot of other amps. Every knob lets you dial things in exactly where you want it.

That said, setting everything at noon really seems to be the sweet spot, then minor adjustments to fit your speakers & the room. Then use vintage/modern, bright 1 & 2 and clip to taste. I have bass/middle/treble for Channel 2 & 3 set at noon. Channel 1 is set a bit more extreme because of the way I'll mostly be using it. More on that later. Presence is set a just past noon. Depth is backed off to about 10-11 o'clock because my 15" speaker already has added bass frequencies. This so far is working best for me and I believe is what Jason intended.

Next is gain. This applies to all three channels. Gain to me functions in 2 ways. Obviously it'll add saturation, but it also thickens up the tone a bit more as you turn it up. This isn't to say it becomes too bloated if you crank the gain or to thin if you back it off. What you get is the right amount of oomph to go perfectly with the amount of saturation you have dialed in. To me this is so it won't sound like a can of angry hornets if if you max out the gain.

I also want to comment a bit on the volumes. As with all the knobs there is a beautiful sweep on both channel and master volumes. The Alta has one of the best MV I've seen on any amp. You don't have to worry about going from too low to hear to ears bleeding going from 0.5 to 1. There is a slight, but noticeable difference between using Channel or Master volume to control overall loudness. I find cranking the Master and using Channel volume to control loudness has a feel similar to a NMV amp. Like you're getting that extra little push from the power tubes thrown into the mix. To me it gives a bit more thickness to the sound and is my preferred way of doing it.

As far as the tonal differences between the 3 channels, there isn't that much. Channels 1 reminds me more of plexi Marshall and Channel 2 & 3 is more JCM. Thought that is probably more amount of gain than tone. Either way it's core Marshall tones through & through. To me it's more about the range of saturation. Channel 3 is a tad bit tighter than 2, but not by a lot. The biggest tonal variation comes from Vintage and Modern modes. Both modes are exactly what you'd expect them to be. Vintage is that open midrange sound and Moderns is tighter low end and a little more compressed. Essentially Vintage = Marshall and Modern = Boosted/Hot Rodded Marshall.

For Bright 1 & 2 they add an extra bit of shimmer just at different frequencies. It's a subtle addition. but enough for you to hear the difference. For me they are best used to help fine tune the top end or add an extra bit of top end for a lead part. Really, Bright 1 & 2 are pretty self explanatory so just use them to taste.

Clip is pretty fun. It's diode clipping that chops the top of the wave form to add more saturation. There is a volume drop associated with it, exactly as you'd expect. Best is to use MV 2 in conjunction with Clip to compensate for the volume drop if you intend to use this function. Personally I don't see much of a use for it in my style of playing on Ch. 2 & 3. They have more than enough saturation for me. Channel 1 is where Clip comes into play for me.

This is where I mentioned my more extreme settings for Ch1 coming into play. A pristine clean is pretty much wasted on me. I always like a little bit of grit. So channel 1 becomes my break up to AC/DC crunch. Ch. 1 is pristine clean, but can also get pretty gainey for a clean channel. I use Modern mode plus clip to push the saturation all the way. Clip doesn't drop the volume as much on Ch1 as it does on Ch 2 & 3 but to me it very slightly thins the tone. I get full AC/DC saturation, but not quite the tone with all knobs set to noon. To get the AC/DC tone I keep the Bass & Treble at just past noon but crank the mids to max. This helps compensate for Modern being tighter & the the effect of Clip. If I want less gain I can disengage clip and or switch to Vintage mode. That will give me edge of breakup to light gain. And in any combo of this, even with the mids cranked it doesn't sound boxy at all.

As for Ch 2 & 3 I'll set EQ to noon and use the rest of the functions for final shaping. I'll likely set Ch 2 to be used more for Hard Rock style crunch and Ch 3 for full on Heavy Metal saturation. From there it's using Vintage/Modern mode and the rest of the functions to fit my mood and the song I'm playing.

Overall I can't say enough about how great of an amp this is. I'd put it up against any modded Marshall type amp and know it's easily hold its own if not blow some of the more popular amps out the water. It's a bit pricey so it's not an amp you're going to buy on a whim. But if you do decide to go for one I think it's worth every penny. Is this going to be n amp everyone is going to love? There may be a few people around that may not like it, but IMHO you're going to be hard pressed to find someone who doesn't.

Jason has my sincere compliments on designing such an outstanding amp. I can tell everyone now that this is a 1000% keeper so don't expect to see it listed for sale. The Alta has a life long, permanent home with me.
Great review, well done!
I’d like to add an important feature that dramatically changes the amp/feel.
The half power switch.
Dude, 50 watt mode is KILLER.
I haven’t gotten to humbuckers in that mode yet because I can’t put my Strat down in 50 watt mode.
The Alta also takes pedals seamlessly in the effects loop without weird vibes,
-Crazy Tube Circuits: ‘Time’ delay pedal
was right on the money (no pun)
& the CTC ‘Sidekick’ multi-modulation pedal in the effects loop was super rad,
-glued right to my sound.
Also, the Soldano SLO pedal through channel 1
with the Brit1 engaged,
is ruthless rippin’ shit man,
never checked anything else cuz’ I m stuck in the monstrous mutes of it all…LOL!!!

Ah yes, the half power switch. I should add that everything so far I've done in full power mode. I haven't put it into 50 watts yet. That will be for tomorrow.

I'm not much of a pedal user, once in a blue moon I may drop in a delay or reverb pedal. Good to know that it takes pedals like a champ though.

Wow, thanks for taking the time to get all this down ‘on paper’!! Awesome.

Just a note re the volumes and the fx loop, the channel volumes are pre loop and the system masters (rear) are post. So with the loop engaged your individual channel volume sets the Send level out through loop. You really need to have the channel vol up at least midday to get a decent signal to noise ratio thru the loop.

For 50w half power mode, technically you should run at one impedance down. E.g. for a 16 ohm cab, use the 8 ohm jack. An 8 ohm cab, use the 4 ohm. This essentially makes the 2 power tubes that are left working feel that they are pushing a 50w output transformer.

I did a video user guide a couple of days ago that you guys might find useful too…

Dude, fyi, when using lower drive pedals into channel 1, if you get some artifacts at note decay.
Or a worry!
By adjusting the Master on the back on the amplifier in conjunction with the channel volume/
& the gain at input,
cleared that right up,
-to if there’s any crusties-the tabs on me.
That’s super dope the amp can be dialed in like
without having to really crank the amp up.
The pedal I was using is
LPD Fifty5 overdrive.”,
a Fender’esk super bad ass overdrive pedal.
I’ve got a mean James Gang tone dialed in.
That dude’s stuff RULES!
You mentioned the awesome range on the
EQ pots, that’s also very,-VERY helpful with dialing in fuzz pedals, overdrives, pre-amp pedals etc,
to match up & start rippin’ shit up.

Last edited:

Overall I can't say enough about how great of an amp this is. I'd put it up against any modded Marshall type amp and know it'd easily hold its own if not blow some of the more popular amps out the water. It's a bit pricey so it's not an amp you're going to buy on a whim. But if you do decide to go for one I think it's worth every penny. Is this going to be an amp everyone is going to love? There may be a few people around that may not like it, but IMHO you're going to be hard pressed to find someone who doesn't.

Thank you so much Mr Hatter 👍🙏

Question,
I heard the video Jason did, and couldn’t really tell… is there a volume change when switching from ‘vintage’ to ‘modern’?
I know tightness, gain and bottom end change, but does volume remain consistent?

Question,
I heard the video Jason did, and couldn’t really tell… is there a volume change when switching from ‘vintage’ to ‘modern’?
I know tightness, gain and bottom end change, but does volume remain consistent?

As far as my ears can tell there's no volume difference between vintage and modern. Because the low end is tighter in modern it's not going to sound quite as full when directly compared to vintage. You may be perceiving that as a volume difference. As far as actual volume/loudness both are pretty much the same. The only thing that does have a volume difference is engaging diode clipping which has about the same amount of volume drop in both vintage and modern.

As far as my ears can tell there's no volume difference between vintage and modern. Because the low end is tighter in modern it's not going to sound quite as full when directly compared to vintage. You may be perceiving that as a volume difference. As far as actual volume/loudness both are pretty much the same. The only thing that does have a volume difference is engaging diode clipping which has about the same amount of volume drop in both vintage and modern.
Thanks!
That’s great news, brother Hatter.
My plan is to use the second master, of course, with the clip feature, so I was hoping the vintage / modern feature didn’t require a third😉

Last edited:
Back