NAD - Mark IVb

rbasaria

So...I have a Mark IVa, and its had a lot of reliability issues. Within the first year of owning it, I had to send it back to Mesa twice to eventually get all of the Orange drop caps in the amp replaced. I have owned the amp less than 2 years total at this point, and currently it is having an issue with randomly switching channels in rapid succession. Because of this, I can't trust this amp on stage. However, it is my favorite sounding amp that I have owned...

So I started looking for something newer that would be more reliable to replace the Mark IV as a live amp. Bought a KSR Orthos, and decided that wasn't the amp for me. Saw this Mark IVb in the classifieds here, but it was pending sale, but let tpruitt know that if that didn't work out to let me know. Next day, I sent payment for the amp...and it just arrived last night.

First thing I did was pull the EL34s out LOL...then dialed it in to the same settings that I typically use on my IVa. Noticed 3 things. 1...the b has more gain. For sure. Noticeably more. On my a, I usually have the lead gain, lead drive, and treble set at about 8 to get the level of saturation that I like. I had to back all of those down to between 6.5 and 7 on the b to match the gain level of the a...cool! I love gain haha. Next, the amp is VERY SLIGHTLY less bright compared to the a. Easy enough to up the presence by a number and up the high slider...and then its basically identical. I mean, this is a hair splitting difference...barely noticeable, and I would probably think that anyone with no Mark experience would not notice. 3...the b is not quite as massively room filling as the a. Again, splitting hairs. Its so close that most people would not notice, and I am betting that when I get to swapping preamp tubes around, this will change.

Otherwise, these amps sound identical. I can't tell a difference between the clean channels. Havent used R2 on it yet, but I will next time I record something, since I use R2 as a bass amp for recording lol.

Amp was packed just the way I would pack it. This thing is INSANELY clean. It looks damn near brand new...barely even any dust on it. If I were to buy this from Mesa, I would have thought it was NOS. Its THAT clean. Amazing.

Anyway...I love it, and having 2 Mark IVs is definitely the right answer for me. So when the issues with my a get to unmanageable levels, I can send it in and still have the b working. Plan right now is to keep the b as a band practice and live amp and use the a as my at home jamming and recording amp.

Will probably be looking for a Mark III next year. Nothing like a Mark!

W6HwO0Gl.jpg

haha I sure will!

I actually bought my a off of jharpersj in June or July 2016. RT hooking me up with the Mark IVs. I love them. Definitely my favorite amps.

Funny, I was looking through my PMs, and saw one from you when I initially posted my IVa for sale shortly after receiving it. Glad I ended up not selling it!! haha

Cool. The IV is a great amp. I agree with the B version having a bit more gain and compression. Everyone always thinks older designs are better with Boogies... but it’s not always the case.

What brand of 6L6GCs are you running?

Great amps. I've never been a Mesa fan per say after trying Dual Recs, Stilletos, Roadkings, etc when GC used to carry them, just didn't jive with the fuzzy scooped mids. I just picked up a Mark IV Rev A widebody head that looks NOS and all features work perfectly :thumbsup: Never played a Mark series before but man these things are a different animal. Lots of warm mids and sounds great at bedroom volumes, but get the master on 3 and it'll blow windows out. Just a great sounding amp....

one of the best amps out there if you ask me, wouldnt sell mine for anything....

As far as the tone goes, I do SLIGHTLY prefer my a over the b, but its VERY VERY minimal. Just the reliability issues kicking my ass on it.

I have been running Sovtek 6L6WXTs for a few years now...even in my 5150s before I got the Mark IVa. My 5150 212 combo still has some of them in it, too.

Not a ton, but if you have to send it from FL to CA, it adds up. Each time I sent it in, repairs were about $150-$175, and shipping was $100 (both ways, combined). Really depends on whats wrong with it, what the parts cost, and then labor...but Mike B is a fucking wizard and knows these things probably better than he knows himself...so labor both times for me was an hour.

Marks are cool amps, and rival anything modern with a boost. If I hadn’t gone the mini head route, I would probably still have a III.
Now.... run them stereo with a stereo chorus.

I do not have a stereo chorus, and I don't have a boost, but running Fishman Fluence Moderns through these, I don't think I need a boost anyway. Plus, I have only found 1 amp that I like boosted, and that was a recto.

rbasaria":2s7ru0gr said:
Not a ton, but if you have to send it from FL to CA, it adds up. Each time I sent it in, repairs were about $150-$175, and shipping was $100 (both ways, combined). Really depends on whats wrong with it, what the parts cost, and then labor...but Mike B is a fucking wizard and knows these things probably better than he knows himself...so labor both times for me was an hour.

Cool I live in Arizona so LA is 10 hrs away. Shipping would be cheap. :)

Yeah, should be a lot cheaper haha. Even so, these amps are fairly small, so shipping to Mesa for me was $65, and they have an account, so shipping back is $40. Too bad I wasn't able to take advantage of their discount getting the amp to them.

rbasaria":3k5kpu3b said:
Yeah, should be a lot cheaper haha. Even so, these amps are fairly small, so shipping to Mesa for me was $65, and they have an account, so shipping back is $40. Too bad I wasn't able to take advantage of their discount getting the amp to them.
Yea, I actually asked if I could pay them for shipping and have them send me a label to send it in.. He laughed.... At least I tried. :LOL: :LOL:

Mine still has all the original pre and power Mesa tubes. Only tube I swapped is V1 for a RFT. What do you guys like in yours?

Nice!

I have always wondered what the difference between a and b was. I always liked the look of the short head also.

rbasaria":3fzxebsr said:
I do not have a stereo chorus, and I don't have a boost, but running Fishman Fluence Moderns through these, I don't think I need a boost anyway. Plus, I have only found 1 amp that I like boosted, and that was a recto.

Well, any stereo splitter a/b/y pedal would work. if you ever do get one, those are two great amps and would sound massive in stereo.

mchn13":1yhvlifk said:
rbasaria":1yhvlifk said:

Well, any stereo splitter a/b/y pedal would work. if you ever do get one, those are two great amps and would sound massive in stereo.
I rotate my stereo rig with my modded Mark IV and my Rev C. Recto or my Diezel Einstein Using a slight pitch offset. Its pretty glorious!

Back