NAD - Marshall 1977 JMP 2203 + clips!

What is a srl dude?
Suhr Reactive Load

Basically replaces a speaker cab. Kind of like a Hot Plate turned all the way down, but reactive instead of resistive. Meaning it mimics the response of a speaker cab, in this case Suhr's fav 4x12 with GBs. Doesn't sound like so much ass, like the Hotplate.
The Fryette Power station is another reactive load, but with a built in power amp. The Suhr feels more realistic to me.

You can run your amp to the SRL, then a power amp and speaker cab for attenuation and post amp effects, or from the SRL to an IR loader (hardware or software) to sound like whatever speakers you want while recording or playing straight to PA.

Take it from someone who can mod their own amps…

The second you touch the circuit, you will without a doubt lose that big wide character and trade it for thin gain. To have both high gain and wide big character you just boost a stock circuit. Don’t underestimate that boosting is fuckloads easier than going down the path of modding. Plus when you go down the path of modding, the quality of your components currently in the amp become that much more important not just for stability but also for noise. Not all people who touch your amp know what the fuck they’re doing.

Out of everyone that can touch an amp these days, Jeremy is the only one I’d recommend with his MOAB. I know how he’s tuning them as we are good friends that chat often and he knows the tricks of the trade. You’ll gain a lot of versatility and not just gain itself.

Last edited:
Take it from someone who can mod their own amps…

The second you touch the circuit, you will without a doubt lose that big wide character and trade it for thin gain. To have both high gain and wide big character you just boost a stock circuit. Don’t underestimate that boosting is fuckloads easier than going down the path of modding. Plus when you go down the path of modding, the quality of your components currently in the amp become that much more important not just for stability but also for noise. Not all people who touch your amp know what the fuck they’re doing.

Out of everyone that can touch an amp these days, Jeremy is the only one I’d recommend with his MOAB. I know how he’s tuning them as we are good friends that chat often and he knows the tricks of the trade. You’ll gain a lot of versatility and not just gain itself.
You definitely made a good point there!

I run my 2204 eq pretty similarly. Even with the Dirty Tree that thins things out a lot I don’t run the Bass past halfway and it’s usually somewhere between 2-4. Depending on where you have the Preamp knob, the Bass knob starts making things too loose and muddy and kills the attack. Running the Mid too high can get some really boxy frequencies around 500hz to be way too prominent as well.

Of course there is some interaction between the controls to account for and the cab/speakers changes a lot of things too. Greenbacks are probably the worst for the boxy mids but if you dial things in right its a Classic sound. The cab I have with old white label T75’s is a great match.

Last edited:
To mod that would probably lead to regret. I had a ‘78 for 10 years and towards the end, possibly out of boredom and partly because a band mate had an 800 with the same mod that was amazing, I got Soldano to do his high gain mod to it. Lived in the same city. The minute I played through the amp after it was done I was like…Fuck..I guess I shouldn’t have done that. It couldn’t touch the stock amp with pedals and I no longer could get close to the great stock sound by lowering the gain knob. I sold it soon after. In hindsight I should have had the mod removed but this was back when you could easily get another one for about $800-1000 and like most of us gear whores, after 10 years wanted to try something else. Not all 6 knob Marshall’s react to the same mod the same way, so even if you hear a modded one that blows you away, you may not get the same result with yours.

Plus, your clips with pedals sound friggin’ fantastic. I don’t see a mod beating what you’re getting already.

Back