NAD!

dirtyfunkg

Bought it from GC online as a blem used item which allowed negotiating room. Had it shipped directly to Fryette to have the EQ sliders fixed and a general servicing, which included a retube. It's in great condition except for some minimal red paint that somehow ended up on the top of it (should be easy to scrape/clean).

Been lusting for one of these for at least 5 years, when I had a PB Classic and a back problem that made things difficult. I loved that amp so much, and it recorded SO well for the prog/post rock stuff I was doing at that time.

BOOM!

r36eG43h.jpg

It's a 2007 Masterbuilt CLX. I actually wasn't sure about the Masterbuilt status (both in whether it's officially a "Masterbuilt," and also what the difference is between a Masterbuilt CLX and a normal CLX), but in receiving it today, I see the sticker on the chassis showing that it is.

I've only been able to play through a Power Station and an R112 since I haven't had a chance to take it to my rehearsal studio with my big cabs, but it's hitting the spots I remember my Classic hitting, except the high/normal gain switches make mid-gain sounds way more achievable.

The honeymoon is in full swing.

Also just have to note, compared to ~3 years ago when I last interacted with Fryette support, the response times and overall demeanor have DRASTICALLY improved. Maybe a result of circumstance given the success of the Power Station, GP/DI, and I hope, Power Load which must increase the enthusiasm there, but this experience was the best I've had with them directly. I've always been a huge fan of their products. Given how vocal I've been when they've been, IMO, less than satisfactory, I think it's worth pointing out that they were stellar this time, and I hope it's a sign of their success.

For anyone who has owned a CLX (or UL), I would love some of your sample settings (with the guitar you use for said settings) to try out. I've owned a UL, and a Classic (with EQ) so I'm no stranger to these amps, but it's been awhile, and it would be interesting to see how some of you use them. I liked my Classic more than my UL, which made my UL expendable in an amp journey that next went to a Deliverance, and landed on a Sig:X. I'm hopeful that the CLX will make the Siggy expendable, but I have a feeling that I'm going to want to keep both of them. The D-Moll might be the odd amp out at the end of this, surprisingly! There's something about the Fryette profile that just gets me. No surprise that everything (except part of a Helix) in the photo is a Fryette product.

Crazy on the brand loyalty front. I've got a Sig:X and a FB412 in my practice space also.

Congrats on what is surely an amazing amp :rock: I've never played a CLX, but owned a D60 and loved it to pieces. Only got rid of it because I got a Wizard. I tried, and tried, and tried to get response from Fryette support last year and it was nothing but crickets. Was very disappointed.

Crank that bad boy and enjoy :rock:

I had my eye on that one for awhile. I'm trying not to buy anything in the near future, planning on getting a Wizard soon. I think GC had another one that didn't have the EQ slider problem, but that appears to be gone now, too. I've got a PB 50ST and it's a great amp, but I've always wanted a CLX or UL...

So, congrats on the great acquisition!! That's also good to know that their customer service has gotten better, too. Killer amp!! I'd love to hear some clips, if you'd be so inclined.

Happy NAD!!!

Congrats!

Had my eye on that one. I was thinking about picking it up or even just grabbing it for a week or so to profile with my Kemper.

Speeddemon":yl0qg8hz said:
Cool!
How would you describe the differences with the Sig:X?

Working from home and in between meetings, so I finally got to crank it today in 50W mode through the R112 shown in the photo.

TLDR synopsis:

Thickness: D120>Sig:X>CLX
Clarity/Articulation: CLX>Sig:X>Deliverance
Tightness: CLX>D120>Sig:X
Input Dynamic Range (gain dependent on picking strength:) D120>Sig:X>CLX
Headroom: CLX>D120>Sig:X
Volume Knob Response (Red/Yellow channels:) D120>CLX>Sig:X
Available sag/bounce: Sig:X>D120>CLX

Interestingly, and maybe this is a speaker discrepancy, the Pittbull Classic I had was more saturated than this CLX is. That's not to say this can't get as gainy, but the feel of the amp was slightly different. I wonder if this is related to the minor changes to the preamp circuit since then (my Classic was a 1993).

Clean:
When I compare the CLX to the Sig X clean, the Sig:X doesn't have the same amount of headroom, but functions like an NMV amp, so the Siggy green channel develops a really nice crunch when cranked. The CLX green channel can get crunchy, but it's not as touch responsive as the Siggy. I did notice that the clean channel, with the Shift button engaged, and channel volume cranked, produces a very farty, non musical noise on the lower notes regardless of where the master volume is. I'm curious if this is a preamp tube issue.

On the Yellow channel, boost off, gain switch at normal, it's a classic rock sound, reminiscent of a much tighter, clearer Marshall master volume (2203/4). It can go anywhere from pushed clean to hard rock crunch with just your guitar volume knob. I'd say the Sig X has a rounder/softer attack to it, but surprisingly isn't as good at responding to the guitar volume. The Deliverance was the best at this IMO. The CLX is immediate and has no sag at all. Start engaging the boost and Hi Gain switch, and it turns into a fire breather that can get as heavy as anyone would ever want.

The red channel is slightly more saturated than the Yellow channel.

It's really hard to describe, but you can tell that the Deliverance, Pittbull and Sig X all from the same DNA.

I did own a 2011 UL at one point also but just didn't jive with it. In retrospect, I don't think I had a good cab to pair with it. This CLX reminds me of what I did like about that amp, though.

Also, I know some of you fuckers were looking at that amp. If it weren't for RigTalk, I would have probably waited and thought on it more. I did not want to see a NAD from one of you guys for this amp.

Ended up putting close to $450 extra into getting it fixed up (and getting a footswitch), so it was still a good deal for a CLX, but not the no-brainer it looked like.

Hey, thanks for the detailed review!! One of these days, I'd love to compliment my 50ST with either a CLX or a UL. Your comparisons helped clarify that a little for me. Again, congrats on the killer amp!!

Back