New Jackson USA Series

I too love Jacksons. Got my first in’85. I have a number of custom shop guitars that I spec’d and ordered as recently as 2021.

My $0.02:
  • It pains me to say this: Jackson has been in decline for years
  • It is pretty well know that several of the brands in the specialty brands division share staff and workspace. Especially Charvel and Jackson
  • Sadly, Charvel and EVH are much hotter brands at the moment than Jackson
I think resources are being shifted towards EVH and Charvel. It is simple business: focus where you can make the most money with the least downside.

In ‘18 I got a custom shop Dinky that I spec’d and ordered. Took around 12 months from order to delivery. Great playing guitar. Some minor blems out of the box. I was able to address all the small issues myself. Still have that guitar, it is my #1.

In ‘21 received another custom shop Dinky that I spec’d and ordered. I was quoted 12-14 months for delivery. I had ordered the guitar in early ‘19 and it took 26 months for delivery. In Dec ‘20 or so the guitar was delivered with a severely warped neck. Jackson rebuilt the guitar and delivered it in May ‘21. Given that Covid had closed Jackson USA for much of ’20 I did not think that it was unreasonable on their part… other than sending a neck that you could damn near play around a corner.

I had also put in an order for a really sweet Soloist in Aug 2019. Quote was 14-16 months. In Nov ‘21 I had my rep reach out for a status. Their response was: ”another 24-36 months”. Now that pissed me right the fuck off. Cancelled the order and got a full refund.

I spoke to Mike Shannon at 2019 NAMM he was telling me that he ends up touching almost every guitar coming off the line for Jackson, Charvel, and EVH in some way, shape, or form.

There were pics posted around the same time by someone who toured the Corona specialty brands work area. They showed EVH, Charvel, and Jacksons intermixed on the same racks. There were also pics of the same employee working on different brands.

The short of it, the specialty brands division is doing the best they can with tough circumstances and are stretched pretty damn thin.

It seems to me that Jackson simply is not a priority. As a result we are seeing quality issues and lagging production. My take is that the MIJ and this new Soloist are attempts to keep Jackson USA in a position to sell to a decidely niche market while not taking too much effort or resources from the other Specialty Brands Division brands that are seeing greater demand.
Nailed it 👍

I have one RR1T and aside from the shape there is no difference. They really are exceptional on their own.

I would’ve gotten a king V when I bought my two RR1s if they where in stock but they never are. Always sold out.

I’ll only buy rr1s now so maybe it was destiny ? Lol

Not sure if they’re different in feel other than shape thougi
I would’ve gotten a king V when I bought my two RR1s if they where in stock but they never are. Always sold out.

I’ll only buy rr1s now so maybe it was destiny ? Lol

Not sure if they’re different in feel other than shape though
I have a 2015 King. It has speed neck profile and small frets (odd considering Randy liked small frets and not on the RR1) Feels killer with that flatter profile than the RR.

Two of my Les Paul’s are classical nickel frets and all of my customs will soon be jumbo stainless.

There is absolutely no contest how smooth and effortless stainless feels when you play. Yes it adds some extreme treble but it accentuates high output pickups and gives a broader sound that doesn’t sound deadened like nickel. Nickel sounds warmer to my ears but the wear is faster and they would require constant polishing to do what stainless does naturally.

The only thing I hate about stainless is that it will straight chew through some strings that aren’t made for them.
I love SS frets

Still got my 1998 USA SL-1 with Custom Shop "Black Cherry" paint and final assembly. Brass block, and EMG mods. It's not going anywhere, considering that it cost me $1600 new. $4500 is an insane price, even all these years later, for a USA Jackson.

Back