New Tuners

ewill52

So I have one of the new Charvel DK24's. Early on I didn't think the tuners were as bad as everyone was saying...I was wrong. They're terrible. If you touch the bar, it's going out of tune.

I'm going to replace them with new lockers. What do you recommend? Gotoh? Hipshot? Was going to try Sperzel but read a couple of poor reviews of the new ones.

What say you?

Gotoh or Hipshot are the way to go.

But I'd be highly surprised if the tuners have anything to do with your trem's tuning stability

Hipshot.

But odds are it's the nut that's causing the string to bind and not the tuners slipping.

I've treated the nut with nut sauce (love that stuff), I thought the same thing that maybe it's binding on the nut but it doesn't appear to be binding.

love hipshot. just got 2 sets for a couple of 7s i bought recently. really good vendor on ebay i would recommend.

If you go Gotoh, I recommend the 510 series. Standard Gotohs are nice, but 510's are that much nicer, IMO.

Locking Grovers are D'Addario/Planet Waves are also nice.

Sperzels are meh, IMO. They have always been. They're not bad, but there are many nicer options to be had, IME.

Does your DK24 have the string trees between the nut and the tuners? Some folks have reported that their tuning issues are reduced after bypassing the string trees, they replace them with graphtech version or get staggered tuners as a permanent solution

Inearthed":3sy39g98 said:
Does your DK24 have the string trees between the nut and the tuners? Some folks have reported that their tuning issues are reduced after bypassing the string trees, they replace them with graphtech version or get staggered tuners as a permanent solution

Yep. These have notorious tuning issues. Nut sauce won't fix a shitty nut and poor design. I almost bought one, but too many complaints about tuning issues, and just poorly executed design, really.

another vote for hipshot. I'm slowly replacing all my crappy tuners with them. Open Gear, and staggered where necessary.

Tuners aren't going to help. It's a combination of the nut and and unnecessary string tree on the DG string. You'd have to remove the string tree AND get staggered tuners. Very poor design that I couldn't justify dealing with at that price range

Devin":3hlzdjw3 said:
But I'd be highly surprised if the tuners have anything to do with your trem's tuning stability

This, this and this so much, it's almost always due to bad nut/locking nut or something wrong with the tremolo itself.

Back