NGD: 2019 Charvel Custom Shop Sassafras Body

Looks amazing! That wood grain reminds me of Lacewood? Back in the Charvel SD models from 94-96, when they had that ‘weird’ hs shape
I’ve not really cared for Lacewood as a tonewood but I think I see the physical resemblance you’re talking about

Very cool! I've been asking some parts makers like Warmoth and a couple smaller companies about Sassafras ever sine the EJ Stories Virginia Strat came out. None of them had it. I asked a smaller builder if they had a suggestion for a substitute and they said Northern Hard Ash but that would usually be heavy which surprised me.

I noticed that Novo guitars uses a lot of "Tempered Pine" but I don't even know what 'Tempered' means. But Samtheman posted that C3 amp demo using a Novo and that guitar/amp combo sounded great.
Yeah based on what I could tell from research, I don’t think ash and sassafras are related and they definitely sound very different from each other. Also blackheart Sassafras is apparently very different from the Sassafras on my Charvel. Not related

Haven’t tried a Novo yet, but have heard very good things from a bunch of guys so far about them

That guitar is a beauty , dig the hardtail . Just a JB/Jazz ! that's a killer tried and true pickup combo
Haha that’s true, the JB/Jazz combo seems to just work in lots of guitars and it does sound killer as is in the guitar. I just put some Tone Specific pickups in it and as expected even better although they’re paf style pickups (lower DC), so it’s kinda an apples and oranges vs the JB, but both great

Last edited:
Back