Nuno N4 Guitar

Arch Stanton

Dollar Store Satriani
Anyone have any experience with these ?

Always wanted one. Sold some amps recently, and might be buying one soon.

I've heard people say they sound "thin", but I think that might just be due to the bridge pickup Nuno uses.

If you have played any L500XL BLUSA or B&B L500XL then you know what the pickup will sound like. From my experience if you want that NUNO sound then you keep the pickup. If you want a more versatile guitar that can Nuno and other tones then you are looking at another pickup IMHO.

Last edited:
If you have played any L500XL BLUSA or B&B L500XL then you what the pickup will sound like. From my experience if you want that NUNO sound then you keep the pickup. If you want a more versatile guitar that can Nuno and other tones then you are looking at another pickup IMHO.
I was thinking I'd get the Nuno guitar and change the bridge pickup.

I'm fine with the Seymour Duncan '59 in the neck. I actually played one of those (in the bridge position) for many years.

I’ve had the N4 on two different occasions. Not the cheaper ones, the “good” ones.

They both weren’t my thing. Played easily for sure, but they are too bright for me. I never experimented with the pickup as I assumed that would affect resale value.

I really like that model guitar but I personally wouldn't spend 3K on it which seems to be what the MSRP is. I remember seeing and holding that model back in the 90's at a Sam Ash store . Very very nice guitar , loved the look and neck joint design .

I really like that model guitar but I personally wouldn't spend 3K on it which seems to be what the MSRP is. I remember seeing and holding that model back in the 90's at a Sam Ash store . Very very nice guitar , loved the look and neck joint design .
My budget for this guitar is $3,600, so I figure that should just about cover the guitar, plus a new pickup for the bridge position.

Question is have you ever played one or checked one out in person ? If you have and you really liked it than by all means go for it . To buy it sight unseen without knowing for sure if it fits you is risky unless you can return it .

If you have played any L500XL BLUSA or B&B L500XL then you what the pickup will sound like. From my experience if you want that NUNO sound then you keep the pickup. If you want a more versatile guitar that can Nuno and other tones then you are looking at another pickup IMHO.
They are thin and a bit sterile but the bill and Becky L500 I have is still awesome. Great crunch and harmonics. I agree, that is the Nuno sound like it or not. Boost into a Marshall, good luck with his phrasing.

I have two necks based on N4 neck spec and I think it's my fave. Very fast to play on. Ebony boards are my favorite under the fingers.

Question is have you ever played one or checked one out in person ? If you have and you really liked it than by all means go for it . To buy it sight unseen without knowing for sure if it fits you is risky unless you can return it .
I like to buy guitars online from stores that let you play it for 2~4 weeks, then return it if'n you don't like it.

There's no way in hell I could play a guitar in a music store for 20 minutes through random gear (not my own) and know if it was gonna work for me.

ymmv

Reactions: ccn
They are thin and a bit sterile but the bill and Becky L500 I have is still awesome. Great crunch and harmonics. I agree, that is the Nuno sound like it or not. Boost into a Marshall, good luck with his phrasing.

I have two necks based on N4 neck spec and I think it's my fave. Very fast to play on. Ebony boards are my favorite under the fingers.
I've played a Dean ML with a BL USA L500, but never tried the Bill & Becky. I called them years ago and talked to Becky. She kept trying to sell me a different pickup than the one I wanted.

I got irritated and told her I knew what i wanted, just let me buy it !

Got a voicemail the next day from Becky telling me they "declined my credit card".

They are great guitars. I had one for about a year. I changed the pickup to a B&B L500 and was much happier with it. I sold mine because it simply wasn't getting player. The guitar wants to be played fast. lol.

I've played a Dean ML with a BL USA L500, but never tried the Bill & Becky. I called them years ago and talked to Becky. She kept trying to sell me a different pickup than the one I wanted.

I got irritated and told her I knew what i wanted, just let me buy it !

Got a voicemail the next day from Becky telling me they "declined my credit card".

Strange story indeed..can't you just buy off a webshop? I seem to recall I did that.

I had a 7-string version. Was a fun guitar. Light and compact. The neck heel is wild; it's just not there. I would lose my place on the high frets because it was sorta hard to tell where I was haha. You'd probably get use to it.

For some reason it felt cheap to me and I didn't have much confidence in it holding together, but obviously Nuno's has been just fine and certainly nothing went wrong with mine while I had it for a few months.

I had one that I bought new. The neck was wide and very thin, so keep that in mind. Also, to me, the stock bridge pickup really had a sharp/slicing tone to it that seems like it would lend itself to his percussive, very precise and controlled playing style, but if I had kept it, I would have likely swapped out the pickup. It was a cool guitar, just the super thin neck profile and tone didn't work that well for me.

I had one that I bought new. The neck was wide and very thin, so keep that in mind. Also, to me, the stock bridge pickup really had a sharp/slicing tone to it that seems like it would lend itself to his percussive, very precise and controlled playing style, but if I had kept it, I would have likely swapped out the pickup. It was a cool guitar, just the super thin neck profile and tone didn't work that well for me.
So, it was like a thin "C" profile ?

Friend of mine has had an N4 forever and he sounds incredible with it.

He's also a fuckin guitar master tho
Some people can make anything sound good! It pisses me off! Whether I'm playing a $300 guitar or a $4,000 guitar to me I sound like shit!👎😭

Reactions: ccn
Back