Ola`s Take on the Mark VII

He got some killer tones in there, and some so-so. Seems like he only really dialed in the C+ mode, and the rest he just kind of winged it.

Im checking one out later today- hoping to get some clips. Im a little confused on VII mode- is it meant to be used without EQ?

He got some killer tones in there, and some so-so. Seems like he only really dialed in the C+ mode, and the rest he just kind of winged it.

Im checking one out later today- hoping to get some clips. Im a little confused on VII mode- is it meant to be used without EQ?
Looking forward to maybe some clips 😁

Holy shit, Ola is providing some negative comments. Wow! That gets more respect from me.

He’s spoken before about how some companies will no longer work with him because he didn’t give their gear a glowing review even though he’s never really outright trashed anything. I think it was around the time the Quad Cortex came out, he didn’t give it the best review and clarified later that he’s not inclined to just give a good review because someone sent him something for free.

I think that channel 2 crunch might sound really good being boosted with something, that’s really the only part I said oh damn

I think that channel 2 crunch might sound really good being boosted with something, that’s really the only part I said oh damn

Ola also slammed the bass knob up pretty high when he demo'd that mode. I guess to make it sound more Recto-ish. Not sure he gave it a totally fair shot. I'd also love to hear that mode with a good boost in front of it.

Also, for the record, the fact that they're calling the channel 3's 1st mode the "Mark IIB" mode is crock of shit. I used to own a Mark IIB and it's WAY more gainy than that. It was every bit as gainy as a IIC+, just with a slightly different character. All I hear with the Mark IIB mode on the new amp is just the same sound as the other modes but with the gain turned down. Now, from Ola's video, it sounds fantastic, and personally I love a modern spanky high gain single coil sound, but it's nothing like an actual IIB.

Last edited:
Ola also slammed the bass knob up pretty high when he demo'd that mode. I guess to make it sound more Recto-ish. Not sure he gave it a totally fair shot. I'd also love to hear that mode with a good boost in front of it.

Also, for the record, the fact that they're calling the channel 3's 1st mode the "Mark IIB" mode is crock of shit. I used to own a Mark IIB and it's WAY more gainy than that. It was every bit as gainy as a IIC+, just with a slightly different character.
To be fair there are several different IIB board revision. Some more gainy than others.

To be fair there are several different IIB board revision. Some more gainy than others.
I’ve had 4 2Bs; one HRG and 3 Coliseums…they all had a shit ton of gain…only differences I noticed was the very last preamp, the 9C, was frogs ass tight like a C+ or later version Mark. The earliest one was a Coli, serial 80 something. Loose lows that was hard to tighten even with a boost.
But still great sounding 🤟

I would say with EQ. I have a Mark V and the Crunch mode with the EQ sounds great. I believe the VII mode is still a higher gain mode extension of the Crunch. Here's the description from the manual, which says towards the end that you can use the mode with or without EQ.

mNxLkXH.png

Last edited:

I thought it sounded better without the EQ

Back