Pick Up height

Hollywood

What do you guys mostly go with for adjusting pick up height on a Les Paul?
Neck and bridge of course.

I normally set up a clean recording channel, and record a few different heights. I start with them flat, and then go up in 5 turn intervals.

Then I listen back and find the best one.

I tend to keep the neck pickup lower than the bridge. Mostly for volume compensation and to make my neck cleans a little warmer/darker.

Bridge Pickup Treble side 2-1/2-3 32nds Bass side 3- 3-1/2 32nds.
Neck 3-3-1/2 32nds 3-12-4 32nds

Based off bottom of string with the E strings fretted at the last fret

Skrapmetal":3s1lcr2f said:
I tend to keep the neck pickup lower than the bridge. Mostly for volume compensation and to make my neck cleans a little warmer/darker.

I do this as well. I try to adjust each pickup so it sounds the best first, then balance the volume. If one has to be louder, I like it to be the bridge pickup. Usually my bridge ends up being much closer to my strings than the neck.

funny you mention this, i was just tuning pickup height of my MII last night. Honestly with floating trems i have to be careful as to how high i can go before the strings bottom out, so i always check for that first. on an LP that is not an issue though. i always tune my bridge pickup to my neck pickup, not vise-versa. the lows of a neck pickup need much less attention than the highs and for a bridge pickup the lows and highs are of most importance. for a bridge pickup i normally use the neck pickup's best sound to reference a flat location of just a small bit of a volume increase, from there i tune each side up to the floyd maximum and down to the low/flat setting measured for proper volume matching and pick/note my favorites, then it is just a matter of fine tuning.

Back