One guitar, constant high end issue

  • Thread starter Thread starter Eazy-ESP
  • Start date Start date
pick chirp. probably a pickup difference if its not an issue on other guitars


Nah. I’ve tried so many picks. Currently I love flow 2.0. The recording really doesn’t do it justice. It’s like one pointy sharp frequency that is piercing. I’m going to try different pickup.

If you listen to that fast Yngwie lick Jeff does, mine would be painful the whole time.
 
Just set the guitar up and play it man..
You are overthinking this whole thing.
Turn the Treble down and just enjoy the guitar.. *shrug*
 
Nah. I’ve tried so many picks. Currently I love flow 2.0. The recording really doesn’t do it justice. It’s like one pointy sharp frequency that is piercing. I’m going to try different pickup.

If you listen to that fast Yngwie lick Jeff does, mine would be painful the whole time.
If you are purchasing one - I highly recommend checking out the Road Pro IV series from Planet Tone. On the site: "The top end has rich highs, nice chime with a wonderful vibrancy that is not thin but full."
 
The string being too close to the frets will reduce lowend. Can you raise that side of the bridge slightly?
Trying some more today. I remember struggling to get it to the right spot previously and even when pro setup it was low. Just got to find time between work and kids.
 
Just set the guitar up and play it man..
You are overthinking this whole thing.
Turn the Treble down and just enjoy the guitar.. *shrug*
I’ve had to run my amps on treble of like 2. By then it sounds like shit and I lose the good treble. It’s a specific frequency.

Trust me I’ve played it to the point that it’s been refretted and I’ve worn the plastic through completely on the middle pickup from picking. It’s been played more than any guitar I’ve owned since I bought it nearly 20 years ago.

But now I am tired or “working around” this issue and I want to learn why it is occurring. It is literally painful in the room. It’s like a spike, rather than an overall treble issue. I am a bright tone type of guy. I love teles for example. I own and love a 2203. This ain’t that.
 
Put the Tone Zone back in.....don't know what else to suggest. 🤔
 
What is the room like where you play it?
When practising about 3x3 meter standard office space. Just through a 1x12 with a creamback.

When jamming louder about a 6x6 meter room with rugs and cushions and stuff around. So not a particularly harsh sounding area.

Taken it to many jam nights in a medium sized pub with a decent stage area, and the issue is there too.

It’s definitely the guitar. I’m really motivated now to try a different pickup.
 
Put the Tone Zone back in.....don't know what else to suggest. 🤔
It’s all good. I’m going to try some other pickups over the next month. Learn a bit more about frequencies. After I raise that high side a bit first. This is 50% trying to succeed and 50% just trying to learn.

I’ve always been more the type to keep guitars and amps standard. I want to try experimenting and learning a bit more now. Not to the point of insanity or diminishing returns. Just to better evaluate an SD to a Dimarzio for example.
 
Thought this video would possibly apply so here it is:


Really good video. I even managed to ignore the NZ accent for the content.

Yeah, so 50s wiring is definitely for me. I thought a treble bleed was the only way to have brightness as I rolled off volume. But that video summed up the downside with the bleed, that unnatural sound I hear on so many modern players and on my Ibanez.

I still am going to try some other pickups too. I’ve looked at the Dimarzio website and for sure the air classic is too much treble.
 
Really good video. I even managed to ignore the NZ accent for the content.

Yeah, so 50s wiring is definitely for me. I thought a treble bleed was the only way to have brightness as I rolled off volume. But that video summed up the downside with the bleed, that unnatural sound I hear on so many modern players and on my Ibanez.

I still am going to try some other pickups too. I’ve looked at the Dimarzio website and for sure the air classic is too much treble.
Nice! I am glad it is helping you root out the source of your issues. I would seriously recommend caling Jose at Plane Tone and describe what you are seeking and see if they don't have a set that suits you for the same price almost as a single DiMarzio pickup.
 
Nice! I am glad it is helping you root out the source of your issues. I would seriously recommend caling Jose at Plane Tone and describe what you are seeking and see if they don't have a set that suits you for the same price almost as a single DiMarzio pickup.
I will check them out. I tend to go for the bigger manufacturers as I am in Australia. But will look at planet tone too.
 
Really good video. I even managed to ignore the NZ accent for the content.

Yeah, so 50s wiring is definitely for me. I thought a treble bleed was the only way to have brightness as I rolled off volume. But that video summed up the downside with the bleed, that unnatural sound I hear on so many modern players and on my Ibanez.

I still am going to try some other pickups too. I’ve looked at the Dimarzio website and for sure the air classic is too much treble.
Sweet! I've been on the 50s wiring train for a while now, with no possibility of getting off.

Turning down sounds so much more natural
 
Sweet! I've been on the 50s wiring train for a while now, with no possibility of getting off.

Turning down sounds so much more natural
I sometimes wish it was the 50s to be honest. I’m going to completely rewrite this Ibanez with new pots and everything and get a better understanding of this stuff. 50s wiring here I come. I’m also purchasing some blue suede shoes.
 
I sometimes wish it was the 50s to be honest. I’m going to completely rewrite this Ibanez with new pots and everything and get a better understanding of this stuff. 50s wiring here I come. I’m also purchasing some blue suede shoes.
50s wiring is just so damn good. Blue suede shoes never hurt a dance floor.
 
I sometimes wish it was the 50s to be honest. I’m going to completely rewrite this Ibanez with new pots and everything and get a better understanding of this stuff. 50s wiring here I come. I’m also purchasing some blue suede shoes.
I used to have a pair! Lol

I didnt wear them for years, and pulled them out, only to find the soles falling off. Oh well. Looked cool.
 
Back
Top