Question For Hagen Owners - Thank You

angelspade

I've been offered a mint Hagen at a reasonable price. I've been digging back through the forums to get a general feel for how it's tonal characteristics fair against other Diezel amps (I own a VH4 and previously a Herbert MKI). A few things I read concerned me a bit:

- Several owners described the Hagen as pretty "dark" sounding overall. Is this generally true? ( I know "dark" is a broad and subjective term and it confuses me as it is also occasionally described as more "Marshall and 5150 like - which are both fairly bright amps )

- A few comments stated that channel 4 of the Hagen was far too compressed and chewy in the low end to be used as a metal rhythm sound, only applicable for leads. Do you guys feel that this is accurate? (I do not use a boost and am not looking for surgical precision - For context - Herbert was plenty tight enough for me - and the VH4 is very "tight" in my opinion)

- Finally, it was stated by a few that the Hagen really needed to be turned up pretty loud to sound good (I know ALL amps typically sound better pushed). This surprised me as I have been able to get great tones out of my VH4 and previous Herbert at very manageable living room volumes. What are your thoughts on this?

I'm going to make a decision on Monday...Any thoughts on these concerns would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

Haven’t played a Hagen in person, but I’ve had a VHX at 2 different times when the firmware was bugged and it was constantly stuck in the “Hagen mode” (Shape 2). The clean channel was fantastic but I felt the 3 gain channels suffered from too much compression and low mids. It was very fat and slow to respond. I wasn’t in love with it.

Haven’t played a Hagen in person, but I’ve had a VHX at 2 different times when the firmware was bugged and it was constantly stuck in the “Hagen mode” (Shape 2). The clean channel was fantastic but I felt the 3 gain channels suffered from too much compression and low mids. It was very fat and slow to respond. I wasn’t in love with it.
Yeah "Hagen" mode on the VHX is weird. Very loose, fat and juicy for leads. (although I never play lead). However Horizon Devices Precision Drive is God tier with the VHX as you stick it in the pre-loop block and leave it on any patch you like. Really tightens everything up.

Well I picked the Hagen up today...Will report back with my findings later this week. Fingers crossed....While I generally appreciate the Diezel flavor, there's always some anxiety buying an expensive amp without taking it for a test drive. Thanks for all the feedback and responses.

Last edited:
Well I picked the Hagen up today...Will report back with my finings later this week. Fingers crossed....While I generally appreciate the Diezel flavor, there's always some anxiety buying an expensive amp without taking it for a test drive. Thanks for all the feedback and responses.
Been there... done that 😂
I hope you love it!

Well I picked the Hagen up today...Will report back with my findings later this week. Fingers crossed....While I generally appreciate the Diezel flavor, there's always some anxiety buying an expensive amp without taking it for a test drive. Thanks for all the feedback and responses.
Same here and I would say good luck... but doubt you will need. Safe to say we all expect and know we will get a certain level of quality with Diezel. Now it just a matter of which flavor.

Report back what you think!

Well regarding the Hagen and VH4 that I acquired in the last week, I was REALLY hoping that there was going to be:

A. a clear overall winner for my tastes so I could sell one

Or

B. they were too similar in overall nature to justify keeping both

After a couple hours back and forth, I don't think either is going to be the case. After I spend some more time and try a few different guitars I will write a full review of the Hagen, and a comparison of the two.

Thanks again for all the feedback.

Attachments

• 20230227_091534.jpg
    20230227_091534.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 44
Well regarding the Hagen and VH4 that I acquired in the last week, I was REALLY hoping that there was going to be:

A. a clear overall winner for my tastes so I could sell one

Or

B. they were too similar in overall nature to justify keeping both

After a couple hours back and forth, I don't think either is going to be the case. After I spend some more time and try a few different guitars I will write a full review of the Hagen, and a comparison of the two.

Thanks again for all the feedback.
Bit late to the party, but as you'd likely seen in the other threads re: the VH4 and the Hagen - I own both (along with the D-Moll) - and there were periods of time where I thought I could let one or the other go, whether it was the V or the Hagen... Regrettably I did, and within a VERY short period of time (literally, a *moment* of clarity), I'd immediately reacquire the amp I'd just moved. I don't even bother worrying about this anymore, I have precisely what I need and I now know I need - not want - but need both amps in my arsenal. As for what's dark or what needs cranking, nothing diminishes either amps operability or amazingness when pitted against the other. They're very difficult to compare because they're so similar, but they're very difficult to cull one or the other as they're so complementary to one another due to their differences. Touch dynamics, response to pups, 3D bounce, compressions vs openness, ERGs vs standard 6/tunings, mic'ing vs in the room, clean vs sizzle, they're just both 100% amazing at what they do - so similar yet so different.

Bit late to the party, but as you'd likely seen in the other threads re: the VH4 and the Hagen - I own both (along with the D-Moll) - and there were periods of time where I thought I could let one or the other go, whether it was the V or the Hagen... Regrettably I did, and within a VERY short period of time (literally, a *moment* of clarity), I'd immediately reacquire the amp I'd just moved. I don't even bother worrying about this anymore, I have precisely what I need and I now know I need - not want - but need both amps in my arsenal. As for what's dark or what needs cranking, nothing diminishes either amps operability or amazingness when pitted against the other. They're very difficult to compare because they're so similar, but they're very difficult to cull one or the other as they're so complementary to one another due to their differences. Touch dynamics, response to pups, 3D bounce, compressions vs openness, ERGs vs standard 6/tunings, mic'ing vs in the room, clean vs sizzle, they're just both 100% amazing at what they do - so similar yet so different.
Word!

Back