Rant - Rick Beato is a douchecake

Dick Butter Nuts":29lzhxmo said:
Red_Label":29lzhxmo said:
UltraGary":29lzhxmo said:
I've been searching high & low on YouTube for people who just sh*t on other peoples' progress without showing anything of their own, but can't seem to find anything. (I even searched 'douchcakes') Do such people actually do anything to show online?...or do they just talk smack? Any help is appreciated...Thanks!

Reminds me of all the thumbs-downers on world class, mind-blowing performances on YouTube. I'd be willing to bet that not a ONE of them has ever posted-up their shit. Just as not a single one of the shit-talkers on this forum (or others) has ever posted up their shit when I've stated "please post up your own stuff so that we may give adequate weight to your opinion, based your knowledge and skills". Never been done. Funny how that is.

Though my content is hardly world class or mind-blowing, I've had some rather nasty comments on my YouTube page. I just delete them. Or, if they are really bad, I report the comment to YT. Every time I check the commenters YT channels they have zero content.

Same was true for some of the Facebook groups I used to belong to. And it's not just music/guitar oriented material either.
Shit I get blasted on my YouTube channel all the time (www.youtube.com/jeremyvarao)... see what I did there.

Seriously though, I don’t ever delete comments. People like what they like. I have never heard of Rick Beats and for some reason I assumed he was a politician of some sort! Lol. I’ll check him out now though. Wonder who the OP DOES like on youtube??

JerEvil":en4dviob said:
Shit I get blasted on my YouTube channel all the time (http://www.youtube.com/jeremyvarao)... see what I did there.

Seriously though, I don’t ever delete comments. People like what they like. I have never heard of Rick Beats and for some reason I assumed he was a politician of some sort! Lol. I’ll check him out now though. Wonder who the OP DOES like on youtube??
His depth of knowledge about music is huge, I think it was his "What makes this song great" series that grew his popularity early on. Check out his "Why adults can't learn perfect pitch" video too, his kid is amazing.

rottingcorpse":2zg7js42 said:
Rick Beatos guitar riffs cure cancer.
He helps little old ladies cross the street.
He rescues puppies and kittens from storm drains.
He shits so hard he levitate off the toilet.
His lessons on djent have help people quit heroin.
I have never even heard of the guy.
:LOL: :LOL:

Sorry abut reviving this old thread. I came across this discussion and I just want to add my brief interaction with Rick Beato, and it happened in the comments section for this video:

Me: "In terms of practical applications, most of these have very limited use outside of extremely niche genres/moods, and that is the reason why most music don't use them."

Rick: "You don't actually know what you're talking about Rob. I'm sure it's never stopped you before. Many of these are extremely common in Big Band music and film composition and have been around for 60 years. Unfortunately you wouldn't notice that you have heard these exact chord sequences in the extremely niche Star Wars Theme. Smh"

Me: "What I meant by niche, is from the perspective of the average mainstream taste today (pop, rap, country, etc.) Film scores and big band would be considered niche for the average person today. I also do a lot of teaching (art, writing, music, photography, video game development), and I teach both adults and children. During my conversations with them, I've always noticed extremely few listen to genres outside of the mainstream. I do my best to introduce them to a wider range of music, but I don't always succeed because people will listen to what resonates with them and it's highly subjective. My music students are of course more receptive, but they wouldn't be considered average listeners, as they have already decided to venture deeper into music."

Another commenter: "@Rick Beato Why so defensive to any criticism man? These people are your fans with input. Have a discussion instead of reacting like a teenager :) ahahah Love your stuff man"

In another later video, he was being introspective:

So I took the chance to bring up that unpleasant interaction and made this comment:

"Rick, since you were in a reflective mood, I'm going to bring something up that I otherwise wouldn't. A while back, I commented in one of your videos about how some of the more unconventional harmonies/chords aren't used by the mainstream musicians because they are too esoteric, and you replied with something very derogatory and snarky about me as a person, making a personal attack that was completely uncalled for. I was taken aback at the time, but because I had really enjoyed your videos to that point, I brushed it off as maybe you had a bad day and you felt the need to lash out at someone. I'm only bringing it up because you were talking about the way Steve Vai handled that person's comment and how you wished you could be that cool and graceful. Anyway, it's something to think about. Despite that unpleasantness, I remained subscribed and still watch your videos."

While I can appreciate how some people feel that he doesn't suffer fools or assholes, at the same time, he is a flawed human being like the rest of us, and he certainly has his own moments of assholery, just like some of us--in particular, arrogance, rudeness, condescension, etc. So it's not a situation of either, or, but that he can be two things at the same time. He is knowledgeable, well-connected, respected, and probably a good person, but he can also be unpleasant at times--the two are not mutually exclusive. Human being are complex creatures, and I think it's always a good idea to keep that in mind whenever we judge someone. I respect him, and I watch his videos, and he seems like the kind of guy that if I ever met him in person and brought up that interaction, he'd likely apologize and be very cool about it.

As for the criticism of his knowledge and skill, no one knows everything, and what he does know, is a lot. Whatever holes he might have in his knowledge is more than compensated by the stuff he does know very well, and he certainly knows enough to have the respect of some of the most acclaimed musicians on the planet. And as far as I have seen, he's never positioned himself as a virtuoso, and in fact is pretty self-deprecating about his own skills on instruments.

Ultimately, I'm glad he's making useful videos as a form of income stream instead of meme videos. (Not that I have anything against memes--they have their place as disposable entertainment that helps you unwind.)

Last edited:
First rant here for me ! :rock:

yes i realize the entire planet is on this guy's dick...hard
sure he knows theory
BUT
he is a pompous arrogant dick and it comes across in almost every video.
watch a few live videos and it's so evident as he interacts with commentators and or dick sucks fanboys that donate
and
his guitar playing while 'correct" has zero vibes and is totally uninspiring or memorable, and he thinks he's great.
No "dumbass" i don't want to watch you meander in G dorian and pontificate to the serfs about how to use the mode.

Compare his playing ANY real artist like paul gilbet, chris poland, kossof,.beck, aldrich, holdsworth etc ________ fill in the blank fave of yours and it's clear he blows chunks, has a shit tone, crap phrasing etc.

there are HUGE gaps in his musical knowledge
he is clueless about anything electronic from the 1940s - to present day it's all just "EDM' to him
he has no knowledge of funk/soul/bossa/reggae/ international music
his djent lesson is a bad joke
his entire foundation is classical guitar and FM rock and it's fucking lame
i don't need a another privileged "white bro "telling me how great steely dan is.
yes i realize no one is forcing me to watch him
but it's repugnant
YMMV
thanks!

Have you always been a racist, or did you work at it?

Sorry abut reviving this old thread. I came across this discussion and I just want to add my brief interaction with Rick Beato, and it happened in the comments section for this video:

Me: "In terms of practical applications, most of these have very limited use outside of extremely niche genres/moods, and that is the reason why most music don't use them."

Rick: "You don't actually know what you're talking about Rob. I'm sure it's never stopped you before. Many of these are extremely common in Big Band music and film composition and have been around for 60 years. Unfortunately you wouldn't notice that you have heard these exact chord sequences in the extremely niche Star Wars Theme. Smh"

Me: "What I meant by niche, is from the perspective of the average mainstream taste today (pop, rap, country, etc.) Film scores and big band would be considered niche for the average person today. I also do a lot of teaching (art, writing, music, photography, video game development), and I teach both adults and children. During my conversations with them, I've always noticed extremely few listen to genres outside of the mainstream. I do my best to introduce them to a wider range of music, but I don't always succeed because people will listen to what resonates with them and it's highly subjective. My music students are of course more receptive, but they wouldn't be considered average listeners, as they have already decided to venture deeper into music."

Another commenter: "@Rick Beato Why so defensive to any criticism man? These people are your fans with input. Have a discussion instead of reacting like a teenager :) ahahah Love your stuff man"

In another later video, he was being introspective:

So I took the chance to bring up that unpleasant interaction and made this comment:

"Rick, since you were in a reflective mood, I'm going to bring something up that I otherwise wouldn't. A while back, I commented in one of your videos about how some of the more unconventional harmonies/chords aren't used by the mainstream musicians because they are too esoteric, and you replied with something very derogatory and snarky about me as a person, making a personal attack that was completely uncalled for. I was taken aback at the time, but because I had really enjoyed your videos to that point, I brushed it off as maybe you had a bad day and you felt the need to lash out at someone. I'm only bringing it up because you were talking about the way Steve Vai handled that person's comment and how you wished you could be that cool and graceful. Anyway, it's something to think about. Despite that unpleasantness, I remained subscribed and still watch your videos."

While I can appreciate how some people feel that he doesn't suffer fools or assholes, at the same time, he is a flawed human being like the rest of us, and he certainly has his own moments of assholery, just like some of us--in particular, arrogance, rudeness, condescension, etc. So it's not a situation of either, or, but that he can be two things at the same time. He is knowledgeable, well-connected, respected, and probably a good person, but he can also be unpleasant at times--the two are not mutually exclusive. Human being are complex creatures, and I think it's always a good idea to keep that in mind whenever we judge someone. I respect him, and I watch his videos, and he seems like the kind of guy that if I ever met him in person and brought up that interaction, he'd likely apologize and be very cool about it.

As for the criticism of his knowledge and skill, no one knows everything, and what he does know, is a lot. Whatever holes he might have in his knowledge is more than compensated by the stuff he does know very well, and he certainly knows enough to have the respect of some of the most acclaimed musicians on the planet. And as far as I have seen, he's never positioned himself as a virtuoso, and in fact is pretty self-deprecating about his own skills on instruments.

Ultimately, I'm glad he's making useful videos as a form of income stream instead of meme videos. (Not that I have anything against memes--they have their place as disposable entertainment that helps you unwind.)

I think your comment wasn't meant in a negative way, but from Rick's pov, probably dealing with tons of people who actually like to hate on him (this thread a testament to that!) he probably read your comment like "These chords are useless in the music I like, why you wasting your/our time??" and his reply had the same sort of dickish tone he inferred from yours. I wouldn't read into it too much, just a miscommunication IMO.

sorry if i hurt your sensitive feeling snowflake!

thomas-sowell.png

No worries... You're not that relevant
No need here-- to virtue signal and act triggered, enough to go online to gain some negative-attention-- like you. :dunno:

I wasn't addressing how I feel about you making racist comments.

I was merely observing your racism, and questioning whether or not it comes natural to you or if you worked at it. It appears that, it comes naturally and then you worked at it-- so BOTH.

The problem with racists like you virtue signaling about 'white' privilege is, the total absence of any actual virtue whatsoever, but I understand that, "It's usually futile to talk Facts and Analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of Moral Superiority, in their ignorance".--T. Sowell

--So...
Good luck becoming relevant.

You're Dismissed.

Last edited:
I learned some killer stuff about drums from him.
Very helpful facts that actually really helped.
Also some great insight on how Weiland sings
out the notes in those sweet STP chords & creates
those harmonies.
VERY helpful.
What have you done?
Also, he nailed the Kid Charlemagne solo's.
Let's see anyone on this board pull that.
Enough with the crap typing, let's hear and see it.
Hey Electro-Ibiza guy, you can't quantinize
BONHAM.

so tell me dino how does beato's cock actually taste?

Your mom said it tasted like your lip stick, while saying how she wished you amounted to more than the poster child for birth control, and contemplated how she should've swallowed-- when she still had the chance, while remembering an old Romanian saying, "The mother of Idiots, is ALWAYS pregnant". :yes:
2756293718_82acf34f14_n.jpg

Kick Rocks Fool

Last edited:
As far as YouTube guys go I like Rick. I didn't see his djent vid cause that is a genre that doesn't appeal to me at all but I usually watch his what makes a band great vids which have been in my opinion damn good series.

Now Glenn Fricker, Fluff, and a few others get on my nerves. Glenn has an intro of him headbanging in slow motion and takes time in the middle of his vids to hock mobile games as if he plays mobile games.
which is both the lamest shit ever.

As a general rule though most of the YouTube guys are pricks. I guess some people get on people's nerves more than others. I like Rick though so far.
Man these posts are pretty old now....But I felt the urge to comment.

I started to dislike Glenn with his recent clickbait videos until I actually talked to him about it. It's pretty tough making a living doing what they do these days and long story short he's a pretty nice guy and completely honest about what he does. One hell of a producer too.

Also Fluff kind of started out here on Rig Talk. He got tired of EVH threads.

Rick's cool. Like someone else said, he doesn't claim to be some virtuoso guitar player or anything, he's decent enough, but he does have a lot of knowledge on theory. He's more of a producer than a player too. He's got good content, better than most you tubers.

Dude is knowledgeable. Wouldn’t call him a guitar hero, but he never claimed to be one. Definitely resides in studio knowledge because that’s what probably knows best.

Just had to create an account here to say you seem like a pretty decent person. OP? Not so much.

Back