Reamp online with real amps

  • Thread starter Thread starter mrTapp
  • Start date Start date
Sounds cool. The situation you have going seems very one off and since it is more being supported by another business, it seems very niche and that is really cool. I wish you the best, bud
Thanks, appreciated.

Interesting. You should ask a mod to move this to the main forum. Not sure why it is in Technical Corner
Good idea, I will ask. mrTapp started the thread here, so I will check with him too.

From the customer side the one drawback I see is waiting for an amp to be available if it's in use. I can see it being frustrating if one wants to reamp through a particular amp and it showing in use every time. In time and more amps available it would likely become less of an issue.

For reamping is the customer using their own cabs and/or IR's? Or will you have IR's for people to pick from?
Fair point, and you are right that more amps is the real fix. So far usage has been low enough that nobody has had to wait, which is why I have put other features first. A booking calendar is on the list though, so you can reserve an amp for a set time and know it is yours when you sit down.

IRs: your choice. There are IRs provided, you can upload your own, or you can skip the IR entirely and download the raw amp output and put your own cab on it at home in your DAW. The head is the real thing, the cab side is whatever IR you want.

One more thing that helps when dialing in: you can upload a backing track, say drums and bass, and it plays along while you audition. So you hear the guitar sitting in the mix instead of soloed, which is where most tones fall apart.
 
Hi! I'm the creator, so let me explain.

Nothing is automated when it comes to the tone, you dial it in yourself. The web interface mirrors the front panel of the amp, and every knob and switch on the real head has a servo motor on it. When you turn a knob in the browser, the motor turns the actual knob on the amp. You upload your DI tracks first and they play through the amp while you dial, so you hear every change as you make it, the same way you would standing in front of the head. Scrub around in your take, set gain, EQ, presence, flip the switches, and so on.

When it sounds right you hit Begin Reamping and all your tracks get rendered through the amp with exactly those settings. The settings are saved with the job, so you can come back later, open that job, and the amp dials itself back to the same tone if you want to run more tracks through it.

So the only automated part is that a motor turns the knob instead of a tech. The ears and the decisions are still yours.
This is just so wonderful and amazing. I wish you all the success in the world!
 
This seems like a cool idea. From the customer side the one drawback I see is waiting for an amp to be available if it's in use. I can see it being frustrating if one wants to reamp through a particular amp and it showing in use every time. In time and more amps available it would likely become less of an issue.

For reamping is the customer using their own cabs and/or IR's? Or will you have IR's for people to pick from?
You could fix that by scheduling time slots, etc for highly desired units or general availability.
 
One more thing that helps when dialing in: you can upload a backing track, say drums and bass, and it plays along while you audition. So you hear the guitar sitting in the mix instead of soloed, which is where most tones fall apart.

Is latency a problem in this scenario?
 
This is just so wonderful and amazing. I wish you all the success in the world!
Thank you! And thanks to the mods for moving the thread.

You could fix that by scheduling time slots, etc for highly desired units or general availability.
Agreed, that is the plan. A booking calendar where you reserve an amp for a set time is on the roadmap. Usage has been low enough so far that nobody has had to wait, so other features went first, but it will come.

Is latency a problem in this scenario?
No. The backing track and the amp signal are mixed together on the server before anything is sent to the browser, so they travel as one stream and stay locked to each other. The only thing you need to do is export the backing track and the DI files from the same start point in your DAW, then the sync is tight. The second or two of delay I mentioned earlier is between turning a knob and hearing the change, and since both signals arrive together it does not affect how they line up.

I have to admit I never get tired of this part myself. When a user is in the system I can sit next to the amp and watch the servos turn the knobs on their own. :D
 
Back
Top