Rev F: You know, it’s sad but true!

VESmedic

really was loving this tone I got with my rev F through my Marshall 1960BV cab. Just doesn’t sound right with a Mesa cab. Although I tried it with a 421 thrown in the mix, once again the single SM57( a new one) beat it out. Here is one dark and one brighter clip. Yes it’s scooped, yes it’s big. Who cares.

rev F dual rec
Peppers dirty tree
Marshall 1960BV
Shure SM57
BAE 1073 mic Pre.

Darker:

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/ENoYsq6mui68aKYe9
Brighter:

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/FVFXXc4wwyd1Qm976

Both sound pretty dang good. I guess I prefer the darker one

I was spending this morning with my blackface 2018 trying to profile it with my kemper with a Marshall cabinet with Chinese v30’s. Definitely a brighter speaker than the Mesa’s.
Tried it out with my Evh cabinet and was so disappointed I had to walk away lol.
I just can’t seem to capture this amp at all.
Always too damn dark and boomy sounding when I’m done.

Prefer the darker one as well. But in a dense mix, the brighter one may cut through a bit better.

Both sound pretty dang good. I guess I prefer the darker one

I was spending this morning with my blackface 2018 trying to profile it with my kemper with a Marshall cabinet with Chinese v30’s. Definitely a brighter speaker than the Mesa’s.
Tried it out with my Evh cabinet and was so disappointed I had to walk away lol.
I just can’t seem to capture this amp at all.
Always too damn dark and boomy sounding when I’m done.

It can definitely be a hard amp to capture I agree. I find multi band comping the low end around 120-250 helps tremendously. For me anyways. Try a cut with an 1.0 Q around 330hz as well. And sometimes, even a low shelf about -1 or 1.5db at 250 hz on top of that: that’s the ticket I think. This has C4 multiband comp on it for sure, but it wasn’t too terribly out of control before it.

the EVH cabs are GREAT I think, but not the speakers for the recto at all in my opinion. Throw your fav speakers in that though and watch out, phenomenal sounding cabinet! Don’t be afraid to get the mic way up on dust cap with rectos, you can always cut high end.

Another vote for darker.
If it was a blind test I would have guessed it was a Mark instead of a Rec though.

Another vote for darker.
If it was a blind test I would have guessed it was a Mark instead of a Rec though.

Even though your politics are terrrible, we can agree on this! :D the peppers dirty tree definitely helps with the attack on this for sure!

Is the Peppers Dirty Tree a TCIP clone? It sounds kinda twangy for a Recto.

it is a TC clone yes, the best one on the market in my opinion. I’ve had a few blind tests sent to me, same rig same DI etc, and the dirty tree wins everytime, the fortin often being the least liked. Dirty tree often beats out even the original TC stuff, although this all opinion, and based on whether you even like the TC stuff in the first place.

It feels a little "small" with just one 57.

Do you have a second one, that you could do the Fredman trick and then blend the bright and dark mics together for some more "bigness"?

Or maybe a ribbon? At least IME trying to mic rectifiers I've had better results with multi mic setups.

Alternatively, you could use a slave or line out into an IR, and use that for your "big" mic.

It feels a little "small" with just one 57.

Do you have a second one, that you could do the Fredman trick and then blend the bright and dark mics together for some more "bigness"?

Or maybe a ribbon? At least IME trying to mic rectifiers I've had better results with multi mic setups.

Alternatively, you could use a slave or line out into an IR, and use that for your "big" mic.

The Slave out to an IR is not something I’ve ever tried, might be worth experimenting. In my experience, using multi mics almost never makes a guitar tone better. It’s impossible to phase align mic’s perfectly, so what you are left with is notches in frequencies between the two mics. Which you may no doubt like the sound of! But, what you gain in a pleasing new EQ curve, you lose in focus and transient response. Every single time I track with one mic, then do it with two mics AND OUTPUT MATCH THEM( very key here), the tone is always less focused and the transients are softened considerably. I have several fredman clips on my SoundCloud page FYI. People are often fooled because two mics is always louder, so people think it’s better. But output match them, and then listen. That’s the real test.

there are some that can do it right, hell the black album is a 57/421 combo. Buttttt I’m not bob rock either :). Its just never better to me if listening critically.

People always think two mics make things bigger. But if it’s not big and killer with one mic, it’s not gonna be awesome with two, at all.

The Slave out to an IR is not something I’ve ever tried, might be worth experimenting. In my experience, using multi mics almost never makes a guitar tone better. It’s impossible to phase align mic’s perfectly, so what you are left with is notches in frequencies between the two mics. Which you may no doubt like the sound of! But, what you gain in a pleasing new EQ curve, you lose in focus and transient response. Every single time I track with one mic, then do it with two mics AND OUTPUT MATCH THEM( very key here), the tone is always less focused and the transients are softened considerably. I have several fredman clips on my SoundCloud page FYI. People are often fooled because two mics is always louder, so people think it’s better. But output match them, and then listen. That’s the real test.

there are some that can do it right, hell the black album is a 57/421 combo. Buttttt I’m not bob rock either :). Its just never better to me if listening critically.

People always think two mics make things bigger. But if it’s not big and killer with one mic, it’s not gonna be awesome with two, at all.

Well, the reason two mics makes it bigger is because of the complexity of the phase relationship.

The trick is finding a slightly "out of phase" sound that works.

Multiple mics works for literally everyone besides you who mics guitar cabs, so you might want to try it 😂👌

The slave/IR is the easiest way to do it without those phase relationships, though, and can get you a fantastic multiple mic sound without the effort and time of setting up multiple mics - that's why I suggested it.

Well, the reason two mics makes it bigger is because of the complexity of the phase relationship.

The trick is finding a slightly "out of phase" sound that works.

Multiple mics works for literally everyone besides you who mics guitar cabs, so you might want to try it 😂👌

The slave/IR is the easiest way to do it without those phase relationships, though, and can get you a fantastic multiple mic sound without the effort and time of setting up multiple mics - that's why I suggested it.

man I gotta disagree, all of my favorite tones and producers 95 percent of the time use a single 57 for the heavy stuff. Sneap, Richardson, Lewis, suecof, the early Van Halen records etc: all a single 57. I will try the slave route though. I’ve got a 421 on the grill of my Marshall cab right now… started out using both mics, but the single 57 smoked it. The closest I get to two mics is a 57 with a 201, but the 201 is like -16db down, at highest. The 421 can be cool low like that too, it’s killer for adding bottom end to a 57 as well sometimes.

really was loving this tone I got with my rev F through my Marshall 1960BV cab. Just doesn’t sound right with a Mesa cab. Although I tried it with a 421 thrown in the mix, once again the single SM57( a new one) beat it out. Here is one dark and one brighter clip. Yes it’s scooped, yes it’s big. Who cares.

rev F dual rec
Peppers dirty tree
Marshall 1960BV
Shure SM57
BAE 1073 mic Pre.

Darker:

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/ENoYsq6mui68aKYe9
Brighter:

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/FVFXXc4wwyd1Qm976
Are you double tapping your boogie cab? Or just using 1 8ohm cable

Sounds good man

Personally, when dialing in a tone, I do a 421 on one speaker, and then a Fredman on another, and then run the line out into an IR.

I dont always use all the options available, but having more than a single 57 is necessary unless it's my Larry. That's literally the only amp I've ever miced that can sound its best with a single 57 🤷‍♂️

Do you have an 7b? Those can be great high gain mics too.

No boogie cab on this :) Just the Marshall , I was just referencing the Mesa in my comparison, my bad if that was confusing.
I know you said the boogie cab didn't sound good lol I was asking if you are single tapping the boogie cab when you tried it? Or did I completely miss it lol

Last edited:
Back