Should I be concerned?

FourT6and2

Bought an acoustic on Reverb. It's a hard-to-find-kind of guitar and the one I found is in the UK, being sold as "new" from one of the brand's premier dealers. So they're trustworthy as far as I can tell. It's been a week and they still haven't shipped. I asked them what's up and they said it should ship tomorrow or Monday, at the latest, because it's "just having a final check." I asked about the guitar's condition, if there was anything I should know, confirming it is "new", what year the guitar is, and how long it's been in their inventory.

Their response was, "It's new and it was built in June 2021."

So they chose to conveniently ignore the questions about the guitar's condition. My paranoia is telling me maybe they're having something repaired and that's why it's taking so long to ship. Maybe they are trying to buff out scratches/buckle rash? Maybe the bridge was cracked or lifting and they are replacing it? Maybe a new saddle or nut? Maybe they're just doing a new set up? Or... maybe it's nothing and they just take a long time to ship.

They do offer 14-day returns. So I'm protected there. But it's just a hassle to go through.

I’d cancel the order. I wouldn’t buy an international acoustic order from a person that can’t even communicate effectively. How do you think they are going to pack it if they treat you directly this way? If it was new it would be right back into its original packaging and sent out immediately.

Then if you get it and want to return it assuming it’s damaged, you have to deal with this person and customs sending it back.

Screw that. Don’t follow through. I’d tell him to keep his item not as described and list the reason as the year is 2022, not 2021.

I’d cancel the order. I wouldn’t buy an international acoustic order from a person that can’t even communicate effectively. How do you think they are going to pack it if they treat you directly this way? If it was new it would be right back into its original packaging and sent out immediately.

Then if you get it and want to return it assuming it’s damaged, you have to deal with this person and customs sending it back.

Screw that. Don’t follow through. I’d tell him to keep his item not as described and list the reason as the year is 2022, not 2021.

It's not really a "person" I'm buying from. It's a store. They have their inventory listed on Reverb as well as their website.

As far as shipping internationally, the guitars are made in Ireland and sold here in the States. So they have to get shipped either way.

You say they ignored you question about the condition but their was response was “it’s new….” So I’d take that as the condition is new?? Am I missing something

You say they ignored you question about the condition but their was response was “it’s new….” So I’d take that as the condition is new?? Am I missing something

No you're not missing anything. I'm just anxious about it because I asked why they were "giving it a final check" that takes a week. A "final check" takes all of 15 minutes. Now... if they are taking a week to repair something and not disclosing it, that's what I'm concerned about. They do sell a lot of instruments. So maybe it just takes that long. I dunno.

I bought a similar guitar last week from a shop in Chicago. When it arrived, it was scratched up and the guitar desperately needed a setup. Yet the store described it as in "like-new" condition with a perfect setup. I returned it. Sounded great, though. But for the money, I don't want a nice acoustic with buckle rash all over it.

Here's the photo from their website:

screen_shot_2022_05_19_at_1_15_42_pm_by_haftelm_df5qlxg-fullview.jpg

lowden-acoustic-guitars-dreadnought-lowden-f35-macassar-ebony-and-sitka-spruce-top-natural-u3784893301-29157679661191_2000x.jpg

Here's what showed up. Maybe I'm too anal. If they had told me about it before hand, maybe I would have been cool. But they didn't. So I sent it back.

untitled_by_haftelm_df5qlki-fullview.jpg

Last edited:
No you're not missing anything. I'm just anxious about it because I asked why they were "giving it a final check" that takes a week. A "final check" takes all of 15 minutes. Now... if they are taking a week to repair something and not disclosing it, that's what I'm concerned about. They do sell a lot of instruments. So maybe it just takes that long. I dunno.

I bought a similar guitar last week from a shop in Chicago. When it arrived, it was scratched up and the guitar desperately needed a setup. Yet the store described it as in "like-new" condition with a perfect setup. I returned it. Sounded great, though. But for the money, I don't want a nice acoustic with buckle rash all over it.

Here's the photo from their website:

screen_shot_2022_05_19_at_1_15_42_pm_by_haftelm_df5qlxg-fullview.jpg

lowden-acoustic-guitars-dreadnought-lowden-f35-macassar-ebony-and-sitka-spruce-top-natural-u3784893301-29157679661191_2000x.jpg

Here's what showed up. Maybe I'm too anal. If they had told me about it before hand, maybe I would have been cool. But they didn't. So I sent it back.

untitled_by_haftelm_df5qlki-fullview.jpg
Nah that’s not “like new”. I’d be pissed about those scratches too if I didn’t know and was paying a higher price because I thought it was “like new”.

HARD Pass! Those be scratches and that’s not new . Trust your gut. I’d be pissed at them over it.

Nah that’s not “like new”. I’d be pissed about those scratches too if I didn’t know and was paying a higher price because I thought it was “like new”.

Guys that guitar was already returned. This is a different one. Just sharing as an example of what can happen.

Guys that guitar was already returned. This is a different one. Just sharing as an example of what can happen.
Oh yeah I caught that it was different guitar. Just saying that I didn't think you were being to anal about that sending that one back.

They do offer 14-day returns. So I'm protected there. But it's just a hassle to go through.

These return policies are only worth a damn IF THE SELLER pays for return shipping . People don't realize how ridiculously expensive it can be to return something like this on your own dime. Sellers know this and that expense is a big reason why they will gladly offer returns but outright refuse to pay for the return shipping themselves.

I had to return one of those beach wheels that go on beach carts from the east coast to California , cost me OVER $90.00 .

If you're truly psyched on the guitar then I'd say cut them some slack and cross your fingers. If it shows up pristine you win, if not then it sounds like extra hassle but you are covered at least.

These days a week of delays seems pretty insignificant.

If you're truly psyched on the guitar then I'd say cut them some slack and cross your fingers. If it shows up pristine you win, if not then it sounds like extra hassle but you are covered at least.

These days a week of delays seems pretty insignificant.

Yeah I'm leaning that way. A week is no big deal. Just seemed fishy is all.

Probably should of asked those questions before you hit the buy button.?

You are absolutely correct.

Back