Single cut options

ClintN667

What do you guys consider the beat bang for your buck on single cuts? I asked this a few months ago and I ended up with a LP classic that I absolutely adore but I'm thinking of adding another single cut this year.

I love the LTD EC1000 but I'm curious as to the go to for some of the lesser known brands.

Are the Chinese Burny any good? Tokai?
Are there certain years to go to for Greco, Bacchus etc? Any tips or suggestions would be great. I'm also considering an FGN. I want to keep it 1500 and under.

Japanese Bacchus’ are great guitars. I’ve had 7 and my buddy’s had 4 or 5, and they’ve all been consistently killer guitars. I’ve never paid much attention to the actual years of them, only that they’re the Jap models.

Bang for your buck for traditional looking single cuts are 10000% from Prestige guitars out of Vancouver BC.

They import body/necks from world in Korea, then add brand name hardware and electronics and do a thorough setup.

They are easily on the level of lawsuit guitars or Edwards/Burny/etc, and probably above them. Better QC than Gibson USA, too.

Bang for your buck for traditional looking single cuts are 10000% from Prestige guitars out of Vancouver BC.

They import body/necks from world in Korea, then add brand name hardware and electronics and do a thorough setup.

They are easily on the level of lawsuit guitars or Edwards/Burny/etc, and probably above them. Better QC than Gibson USA, too.
I've never heard of them I will check them out

I just ordered an Edwards Les Paul Custom from Japan. That would be my pick. But it really boils down to what you want to spend. I don't think you can beat a used PRS. And bang for buck, you can't beat the SE 245's. Upgrade the hardware, electronics and pickups and you have a pretty nice guitar. Well under $1000. A good LP Studio is also hard to beat. ESP has great offerings as well. I've had a couple of the Skolnick models. They're legit.

I like the old ESP standard series Eclipse and the newer E-II versions. I've got a standard series and i used to have an E-II. People bag on the E-II and say they're not as good as the old standard series, but I think the construction upgrades ESP made to the E-II Eclipses make them better built than the old standard series. As much as I love ESP's, I still love Gibson Les Pauls.

Ive never seen these, that black custom looking single cut looks sweet as hell.

Grecos for me... I still regret selling a GREAT sounding 79 EG500 that I got for 550 shipped from Japan...that one had a growl that I've never heard in ANY guitar. I've had 2 Edwards and they are nice...but tone was kinda flat in comparison to the 3 Grecos I've had. Grecos with serial numbers from 77-87 are the ones to get.

Check out FGN guitars.
FGN are a definite possibility. I've heard great things about them. I'm considering a Greco as well but I'm always a bit skeptical on ordering from Japan. Right now there are some really good deals on new FGN guitars but I'm still a couple months away from pulling the trigger

I bought a Killer KG Prime from Japan a couple years back, no issues buying from Japan on that deal.

I just ordered an Edwards Les Paul Custom from Japan. That would be my pick. But it really boils down to what you want to spend. I don't think you can beat a used PRS. And bang for buck, you can't beat the SE 245's. Upgrade the hardware, electronics and pickups and you have a pretty nice guitar. Well under $1000. A good LP Studio is also hard to beat. ESP has great offerings as well. I've had a couple of the Skolnick models. They're legit.
I've been sold on the SE line years ago, and continue to buy more of them. The quality seems to get better and better every few years. I have a decade old SE 245 that I went full tilt and upgraded everything on it, and still didn't have $1,000 into it. Gets more playing time than my S2 Singlecut that cost a few hundred more. The SE's have great bones, but PRS skimps on the hardware and electronics to make that cheap street price.

I've been sold on the SE line years ago, and continue to buy more of them. The quality seems to get better and better every few years. I have a decade old SE 245 that I went full tilt and upgraded everything on it, and still didn't have $1,000 into it. Gets more playing time than my S2 Singlecut that cost a few hundred more. The SE's have great bones, but PRS skimps on the hardware and electronics to make that cheap street price.
I played an SE Hollowbody yesterday that was off the charts nice and relatively cheap.....fantastic guitar...

I was going to a GC to play a Taylor for the 2nd time to decide if I wanted it or not, it was around $1700 and I’m a tightwad, so I wanted to be sure. Walking by the electrics I spotted a few SE’s and figured I’d give them a quick whirl. When I saw the body on a semi-hollow I thought, “No fuckin’ way, that can’t be an SE.”, but the headstock definitely said SE. I took it off the wall and played it for about 10 seconds before checking the headstock again because it felt so damn good I thought again, “This can’t be an SE”.

Less than 5 minutes later I was walking out of the store with it. That was about 3 months ago and I’ve barely put the thing down. I wasn’t interested in a semi-hollow at all, but holy shit does this guitar play and sound great. Took me 15 minutes to string up with 10’s and get the action right where I wanted it.

t3DUy70.jpeg

I joined a cover band shortly after as it’s been years since I’ve played guitar in a band at all (I sang in my last 3 bands) and it’s all I’m using. It’s mostly funk/R&B/rock and really the only thing this doesn’t do absurdly well is chugga chugga metal because the resonance gets to be a bit much.

I was going to a GC to play a Taylor for the 2nd time to decide if I wanted it or not, it was around $1700 and I’m a tightwad, so I wanted to be sure. Walking by the electrics I spotted a few SE’s and figured I’d give them a quick whirl. When I saw the body on a semi-hollow I thought, “No fuckin’ way, that can’t be an SE.”, but the headstock definitely said SE. I took it off the wall and played it for about 10 seconds before checking the headstock again because it felt so damn good I thought again, “This can’t be an SE”.

Less than 5 minutes later I was walking out of the store with it. That was about 3 months ago and I’ve barely put the thing down. I wasn’t interested in a semi-hollow at all, but holy shit does this guitar play and sound great. Took me 15 minutes to string up with 10’s and get the action right where I wanted it.

t3DUy70.jpeg

I joined a cover band shortly after as it’s been years since I’ve played guitar in a band at all (I sang in my last 3 bands) and it’s all I’m using. It’s mostly funk/R&B/rock and really the only thing this doesn’t do absurdly well is chugga chugga metal because the resonance gets to be a bit much.
That looks like something Emil Werstler would play. It looks beautiful

Back