Slowly dialing in IE tones with the larry.

DanTravis62

For the first time, been making a concerted effort to try and dial in some Schaffer-esque tones with my Dino while I have some time off of work.

Gibson Les Paul Standard silverburst, tonenerd roxy bridge pup, no drive pedals, larry dino jm 822 british channel, redplate 4x12 w V30s

sm57 straight on, 421 on the edge of the cap and cone, no post processing (!) at all. It didn't really need it?

Nice. Chunky thick and articulate.

Well done 👍😎🤘

Thank you man, I really appreciate it.

I've woodshedded this type of rhythm technique for years, and now i'm doing my best to learn the ins and outs of the amp, and really do it justice on recording.

If I recall Iced Earth guitar player and singer uses them.
Yeah that's the point of the post. I've been chasing his tone for literally like 15 years. Pro Tip: the amp is alot of it, lol.

Really like this. Also, how the hell are you getting so much time off of work, slacker? Tell me the secret

Check the date. This was still when I was on medical leave. I posted this forever ago, its just no one cared lol.
Damn that sounds absolutely killer

Thank you man, I appreciate it. Ever since I got @Racerxrated T75 cab i've been getting closer and closer, since this recording.

Second clip sounds so, so good. I appreciate the amp is doing alot, but your playing is not to be forgotten!
When you say that you 'woodshedded', would you mind going into a bit more detail (if you have a chance?) cheers!

Last edited:
Second clip sounds so, so good. I appreciate the amp is doing alot, but your playing is not to be forgotten!
When you say that you 'woodshedded', would you mind going into a bit more detail (if you have a chance?) cheers!

When I say I "woodshedded" I mean I spent countless hours/days/years practicing the techniques and riffs

I guess besides the amp, the key ingredient is not picking lightly. There is literally no way to get that schaffer sound with a light touch.

Using big, wide motions, and picking very hard, creates technical problems when playing that fast that have to be solved.

I guess what i'm telling you is that you can't hold your pick like Michael Angelo Batio and get this type of rhythm tone; no bitchpickers allowed lol.

The reason I stress the amp so much though, is because even if you get the technique right, Larry's gain structure reacts to dynamics differently than any high gain amp out there; its literally impossible to get any other amp to "do the thing." There's tons of great high gain amps out there, but only larrys stuff does this specific *SLAP* impact sound when palm muting.

Thanks Dan, appreciate the detailed answer!
I've spent some time looking at my technique and have realised there is a fair bit I can do to 'tighten up' my picking, slowing it down, muscle memory stuff and becoming more precise! Cheers again

Back