So bassists..?

This will probably sound like a big pile of BS. But, I filled in on bass for these dudes a few times. The first night the guitarist brings his super nice SVT / 8x10. Best tone I ever had. That solid beefy low end and gnarly signature growl. It was a tone epiphany for sure.
The next night I brought my 2x15 JCM800 cab, a QSC power amp, and a Pod X3 and nailed that tone again. It was surprising.

This will probably sound like a big pile of BS. But, I filled in on bass for these dudes a few times. The first night the guitarist brings his super nice SVT / 8x10. Best tone I ever had. That solid beefy low end and gnarly signature growl. It was a tone epiphany for sure.
The next night I brought my 2x15 JCM800 cab, a QSC power amp, and a Pod X3 and nailed that tone again. It was surprising.
You're right. That sounds like a big pile of BS.

I started off as a bass player 25 years ago. I quickly gravitated to guitar as my main instrument, but filled in on bass enough to stay somewhat proficient over the last 20 years. Now that arthritis is wrecking my finger dexterity, I'm back with bass as my #1.

My rig is a Trace Elliot AH350SMX thru an Ampeg 8x10.
There's nothing lightweight about this setup, but it sounds good as shit.

The basses are a '77 Ibanez Silver Series P-bass and a Sterling Sub w/ a SMB-4D pickup.

The little Fender Rumble 100 is my kid's bass rig, as she's decided to give it a whirl after seeing me get back in to bass.

I also have a TE 2x10 and 1x15 stack. Gonna throw either a TT-800 or Microtubes 500 on that and run it all as a bi-amp rig.

tempImageyyiUkt.jpg

I started off as a bass player 25 years ago. I quickly gravitated to guitar as my main instrument, but filled in on bass enough to stay somewhat proficient over the last 20 years. Now that arthritis is wrecking my finger dexterity, I'm back with bass as my #1.

The basses are a '77 Ibanez Silver Series P-bass and a Sterling Sub w/ a SMB-4D pickup.

The little Fender Rumble 100 is my kid's bass rig, as she's decided to give it a whirl after seeing me get back in to bass.

I also have a TE 2x10 and 1x15 stack. Gonna throw either a TT-800 or Microtubes 500 on that and run it all as a bi-amp rig.

View attachment 113860
That will move some air! I'm sure that when dad isn't home, she sticks with the Rumble & NEVER would fire up the big rig without permission...

The Dug Pinnick Tech 21preamp/fly rig is off the charts good for just over 300 dollars, it gets huge stunning tones and can be used in any setting, live or studio. It smokes the Darkglass stuff and is less money. We were using a SVT Heritage setup in our studio and are now just running the DP unit with stellar results

View attachment 113860
My daughter plays bass too. After she went thru a horrible gangsta rap phase for years (and I wanted to jump off a bridge), she finally got back into great music again. She has a Fender Rumble I got her and loves it! Gigs with it and it is light and sounds great. I got her a Schecter bass she wanted but uses her band mate's Fender P-Bass. I have a USA Fender Jazz bass but they ain't stealing that from me...lol

The Dug Pinnick Tech 21preamp/fly rig is off the charts good for just over 300 dollars, it gets huge stunning tones and can be used in any setting, live or studio. It smokes the Darkglass stuff and is less money. We were using a SVT Heritage setup in our studio and are now just running the DP unit with stellar results
I almost picked one of those up

Have any of you guys tried the Origin effect Bass rig pedals? They look pretty interesting but I do think I'm going to get an actual head and cab. I miss playing bass through something other than computer speaker monitors

My daughter plays bass too. After she went thru a horrible gangsta rap phase for years (and I wanted to jump off a bridge), she finally got back into great music again.

Our kid has great taste in music, but it took some work to get her there. She was into K-Pop, The Beatles and broadway musicals. So we took her to see Tool for her first concert at 14, and that changed everything for her. She’s 16 now and listens to a lot of really good music.

Her favorite band is Mastodon, and she really loves proggy stuff… Tool, Meshuggah, Animals as Leaders, Cloudkicker, etc. She also listens to a lot of 90’s stuff like The Pixies, Fugazi, AIC, and QOTSA. Needless to say, I couldn’t be any prouder.

I got her a Schecter bass she wanted but uses her band mate's Fender P-Bass. I have a USA Fender Jazz bass but they ain't stealing that from me...lol

I’m a little funny about my guitars, but it’s not an issue for us. She’s a lefty, so she has a pile of her own. Matter of fact, she owns more gear than I do now.

Lefty guitars are surprisingly hard to find in the wild, so she usually buys whatever she runs across if she has the $$. She even bought herself a new Dunable Yeti that we stumbled across while shopping our way home from another Tool concert last month.

I flipped on my SVT one day in the basement and thought I was about to die a horrible death when I struck a note because one of my kids had dimed every knob while he was just screwing around with it while it was turned off.
If I didn't have a sound engineer, that would be my live tone.

big GK fan here, too. I need to check out some of their newer options, but my 400 rb iv is still kicking and sounds awesome.

I ran an MB500 Fusion for several years, and that thing was fantastic, too. Kind of want another one.

Last edited:
I run an Aguilar DB750 (or AG500 Dual Channel) in a DB410 cab and GS112 cab. Darkglass B7K and Empress Compressor live up front. Went through Ampeg, Ashdown, and Eden and haven't looked back after Aguilar. Great stuff.

Bass wise, here's what I have. Another Zon is hopefully getting built as we speak.

Attachments

• IMG_2602.jpg
    IMG_2602.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 31
Gasp, that's me!

Ampeg and Spector. I settled on Spector basses exclusively after a ton of shopping. Their Korean stuff is top notch, and their Euro series keeps pace with the American custom shop stuff. I have a pair of Spector Forte basses, one fretted and one fretless. I love my Spectors.

As for amps, I used the SVT 3 Pro for a decade until I got an SVT 2 Pro. I used some Mesa and Carvin stuff for a bit, but went right back to Ampeg. Really, as much as it sucks to lug around, I won't play a show without an 8x10 cab. There is no substitute.
I love looking at, and listening (feeling the thump, really) of those 8x10s. It's like a miniature full stack in one cab, with a gigantic sound.

I love looking at, and listening (feeling the thump, really) of those 8x10s. It's like a miniature full stack in one cab, with a gigantic sound.
I feel that 8x10s sound bigger because they are all one cab. I've never heard two 4x10s thump like one 8x10. I would rather play a cheap 8x10 for a backline than two quality 4x10s. Doubly so for cabs with bigger speakers. Math says that an 8x10 has more surface area than 2x18s and 3x15s, therefore can produce lower bass. Add in that a 10" speaker is lighter and more snappy, the 8x10 is the way to go. It's science.

Back