Soldano Slo 100 Namm 2020

rstites":9ados7vp said:
Rex Rocker":9ados7vp said:
What's the deal with the DeYoung transformers? What's special about them?

They were uber-expensive, custom designed transformers used on all the SLO's produced by Mike over the years. They have a more linear response (along with the power section) than what you get from most guitar amplifiers which tend to underspec transformers.

They have gone out of production too, so really new transformers were necessary. I agree that just doing a general update all at once was the best way to go here.

If you listen to the tone talk interview, the cost of the DeYoung was largely because the company got sold to a bigger entity, and the SLO transformer became a off the production line special order.
Soldano said he gave the transfomer specs to the new manufacturer, iron type, wire, winding pattern etc etc. So no technical reason why they would sound different.
A tangible cause of any tone differences would more likely be down to relays instead of optos, changing the placement of the tone stack, changing the level of the fx loop, new PCB layout etc etc. The transformer would be way down the list imo

There's really no reason someone else can't make those transformers. It's not like DeYoung has some type of material that no one else can get. A new supplier just needs to know how to do it. Whether that's from reverse engineering or if DeYoung was willing to disclose its manufacturing process.

The 30 should sound more in your face. Lack of headroom.
Should be nice though. I'm wondering what the effect is on the touch response though. I just wish they would've had more 100 playing time.

WarHed":396matqq said:
If you listen to the tone talk interview, the cost of the DeYoung was largely because the company got sold to a bigger entity, and the SLO transformer became a off the production line special order.
Soldano said he gave the transfomer specs to the new manufacturer, iron type, wire, winding pattern etc etc. So no technical reason why they would sound different.
A tangible cause of any tone differences would more likely be down to relays instead of optos, changing the placement of the tone stack, changing the level of the fx loop, new PCB layout etc etc. The transformer would be way down the list imo

The DeYoung's were always quoted as being a key to the tone and were always expensive transformers compared to what most people use, well before DeYoung was sold and they became more difficult to obtain for Soldano. They just became more difficult.expensive for him to source later in the run.

Yes, he gave the new manufacturer the specs. I doubt he handed either manufacturing ring the details, though he certainly could have done that. I'd be surprised if there aren't differences between the two and I'd be even more surprised if they're significant or even audible.

i agree on the others. All of those will almost certainly have more affect on any tonal differences between old and new SLO. FWIW, I've always thought the "critical tonal qualities of the DeYoung transformers" is a bit over-hyped in the SLO. It's important, but really not the key. It only stands out compared to what most guitar amplifiers use because it's cleaner, more akin to what's used in high-fidelity audio.

311splawndude":av8x0fhb said:
You can buy 2 Splawns for the cost of a SLO 100 and I doubt the components are any better or worse. Just sayin'

Not arguing tone or trying to piss off SLO owners but Scott Splawn is making high quality high gain channel switches with excellent loops at a price.

Edit: I meant lower price not same price obviously.

I gotta agree with this. Whether it's Soldano,Friedman or Fortin who is charging 3-4k for an amp. There is the law of diminishing returns. $4k amps don't sound twice as good or have double the features of a $2k amp. Unfortunately it takes guys a lot of time, money and frustration to learn this lesson. Your going to dial in and basically sound the same on a $4k Soldano as you do on an amp half the price.

rstites":gqjxgisr said:
What's it matter if it's boosted or not? The point is to get a good sound. It isn't some purity test.

Having said that, the SLO sounds great boosted and it sounds great without a boost. It just depends on what type of sound you're trying to get out of it. Really, that's true of every great amp out there. Some music just seems to work better with a good boost out front.
Well some amps can sound and feel tubby without a boost in front such as older Marshalls. Of course these things are subjective always and depend on what kind of style you're going for, but imo some amps seem to be a bit "outdated" in terms of how they sound and i feel this to be the case with Soldanos. Imo over 4000€ for an amp that requires a boost for what i'm doing at least is a bit too much.

godgrinder":gqjxgisr said:
If we judge amps on whether they need boosts or not then Engl would be the best manufacturer, but I don't think you'd agree that being the case either. :LOL: :LOL:
Well ofc a lot of other things matter too and Engl is again a bit too modern for my taste.

The SLO to me is a bit brown sounding with kinda soft attack. That lends itself well to certain things, like lead guitar and snarling rock riffing. But not the greatest choice for super tight and bass heavy metal riffing.

cardinal":2jlduo6o said:
The SLO to me is a bit brown sounding with kinda soft attack. That lends itself well to certain things, like lead guitar and snarling rock riffing. But not the greatest choice for super tight and bass heavy metal riffing.

Well said man, that's exactly how I felt about the one I had. Im wondering if that's any different now with these newer ones but that's prob not the intention, it would make more sense for them to keep the tone the same since that's what SLO guys want. For me the ideal Soldano amp would be more along the lines of an Avenger high gain with a clean channel and transparent effects loop. I loved the Avenger I had with a tube screamer in front but was limited to one channel and no loop, the Hot Rod 100 I had later on did not sound the same on the lead channel as the Avenger. Then finally I had an SLO for a little bit hoping it would be my favorite out of the three but was not.

godgrinder":3pv4kykr said:
Thunkful":3pv4kykr said:
Most of the videos that i've seen on youtube of the SLO have always been boosted with some pedal.

And the clips that weren't boosted were not so impressive imo, but i don't really understand the demand for old Marshalls either so maybe it's just me.

If we judge amps on whether they need boosts or not then Engl would be the best manufacturer, but I don't think you'd agree that being the case either. :LOL: :LOL:
:rock:

Listen, I know videos/clips are the only way for some to hear the amp. But, take my word for this: You will NOT be able to get the SLO vibe/experience until you play one. No way a video can do it justice. Same goes for a Wizard. You HAVE to play them in person to know what that amazing power section does to the tone/feel of a Wizard/SLO. The BEST 100w Marshall will still pale just a bit to the SLO/Wizard power and thump. These amps are what they are due to the power sections IMO. For that experience you need to hear one live.

cardinal":15cutjl2 said:

If i play metal on the SLO, I use the Normal channel and boost it, just like I would a Marshall 2203. It's a great match for tight thrash riffing. I save the Overdrive channel just for lead breaks and use the Normal channel for everything else. It cleans up very well, so step off the overdrive and back off the guitar volume for cleans (live). I'd agree that without the boost, the Normal channel really is really better served for rock riffing.

You may know this, but I watch lots of guys try to use the Overdrive channel for metal rhythms and it just isn't a good match IMO. However, that's true of most multi-channel amps. I've pretty much always found that a good crunchy rhythm channel with a light boost out front (and maybe EQ in the loop) is far better for rhythm than any amp out of the box. I run my old Mesa's the same way.

Racerxrated":c7ho2ojj said:
Listen, I know videos/clips are the only way for some to hear the amp. But, take my word for this: You will NOT be able to get the SLO vibe/experience until you play one. No way a video can do it justice. Same goes for a Wizard. You HAVE to play them in person to know what that amazing power section does to the tone/feel of a Wizard/SLO. The BEST 100w Marshall will still pale just a bit to the SLO/Wizard power and thump. These amps are what they are due to the power sections IMO. For that experience you need to hear one live.

This place is really making me want to try a Wizard. I've never played one, but if it's on par with the SLO I'd really like to try one out.

This thread already has me contemplating a way to pick up a new SLO. I've had mine from 20+ years, so maybe it's been long enough to pick up another. I won't sell mine. My classic gear is all staying with me. My kids can sell that stuff off after they plant me! :)

cardinal":25eh1rkr said:
There's really no reason someone else can't make those transformers. It's not like DeYoung has some type of material that no one else can get. A new supplier just needs to know how to do it. Whether that's from reverse engineering or if DeYoung was willing to disclose its manufacturing process.
There have been a few attempts in the past to make DeYoung style transformers for SLO clones, and the general consensus is that the amps with the clone transformers sounded good but not exactly like an SLO, even with the rest of the amp cloned as close as possible to the original.
The difference now is that:
1) Mike is involved in designing the new transformers ( and amps ), and has apparently provided the DeYoung specs to whoever is winding the new trannies, and
2) Mike now has a vested interest in the new trannies ( and amps ) sounding as good or better than the originals.

Shouldn't be long now till we find out if they hit the mark.

rstites":1v1bmhnd said:
cardinal":1v1bmhnd said:

If i play metal on the SLO, I use the Normal channel and boost it, just like I would a Marshall 2203. It's a great match for tight thrash riffing. I save the Overdrive channel just for lead breaks and use the Normal channel for everything else. It cleans up very well, so step off the overdrive and back off the guitar volume for cleans (live). I'd agree that without the boost, the Normal channel really is really better served for rock riffing.

You may know this, but I watch lots of guys try to use the Overdrive channel for metal rhythms and it just isn't a good match IMO. However, that's true of most multi-channel amps. I've pretty much always found that a good crunchy rhythm channel with a light boost out front (and maybe EQ in the loop) is far better for rhythm than any amp out of the box. I run my old Mesa's the same way.
I used the overdrive channel and boosted it with a couple different pedals; they all tightened it enough for my definition of a metal/hard rock tone. Really all it needs is an EQ pedal with a bit of a mid boost. Drop the mids to 3 or so on the amp, crank the presence and start the treble at 0 and slowly bring it up. Through G12 65s it was a religious experience at 2-5 on the master.
:rock:

Yeah I most often used the Crunch channel, which I why I sold it. A 2204 to me was better at that. The Overdrive channel wasn't really my thing.

311splawndude":22c0evnp said:
You can buy 2 Splawns for the cost of a SLO 100 and I doubt the components are any better or worse. Just sayin'

Not arguing tone or trying to piss off SLO owners but Scott Splawn is making high quality high gain channel switchers with excellent loops at a price.

Edit: I meant lower price not same price obviously.

I agree he's building top shelf products for most of the time half the price of all the "it" amp builders. I commend him for his decisions to make money on his products without acting like the CEO of a major Corp and taking obscene amounts of money. IMO

Back