Speakers and cabs to use with a Splawn.

kmanick

So I now have a 4X12 and 2X12 and a 1X12 for Cabs that I use with my Supersport in this Classic "Dad rock" band I'm in.
They now all have Scumbacks in them
my 4X12 (Marshall JCM800)has 2 M75's on Top and 2 J75's on bottom. (my favorite combo)
my 2X12 (Splawn) has 2 M75's and I like that as well but the grill cloth Scott uses on is cabs is thick so this is a darker sounding cab, at the moment my main gigging cab
but I may swap out one of the M75's for a J75 here as well.
my one 1X12 is an avatar Cab and I just put in a BM75LD and for a 1 speaker cab I'm finding this thing works pretty well.
It seems to have a bit of the M and the J in it, also sounds great with my Peavey 6505MH.
Any of you guys use Scumbacks across the board? I'm finding that Celestians are really starting to disappoint me.

So I now have a 4X12 and 2X12 and a 1X12 for Cabs that I use with my Supersport in this Classic "Dad rock" band I'm in.
They now all have Scumbacks in them
my 4X12 (Marshall JCM800)has 2 M75's on Top and 2 J75's on bottom. (my favorite combo)
my 2X12 (Splawn) has 2 M75's and I like that as well but the grill cloth Scott uses on is cabs is thick so this is a darker sounding cab, at the moment my main gigging cab
but I may swap out one of the M75's for a J75 here as well.
my one 1X12 is an avatar Cab and I just put in a BM75LD and for a 1 speaker cab I'm finding this thing works pretty well.
It seems to have a bit of the M and the J in it, also sounds great with my Peavey 6505MH.
Any of you guys use Scumbacks across the board? I'm finding that Celestians are really starting to disappoint me.
You ever thought about putting the speakers in your 4x12 in an X-format? Years ago when I had a Governor and Man-O-War in my 412 cabinet, i tried both same format as you have and in an X-format and always found the X-format gave a better sound mix. Only issue is when I played live, I had to get the sound guy to Mic both speakers, which 99% of the time they hated doing. LOL

now days.. in both of my Splawn Cabinets, 412 and 212, I have Vintage 30s. In the 2x12 which is now my main cabinet, I have english vintage 30s.

no I haven't tried X pattern with this cab.
I like the sound as is, and I use a captor X to go FOH so I usually don't mike my cabs, so I haven't really felt the need to try it.
I have looked into "X" pattern vs to 2 and 2 and there are as many opinions out there that like it , ..... that don't.
My cab sounds so good to me as is I haven't really had any reason to try it.
Maybe some day when I'm bored I'll give it a go.

Back