Suhr 67 50 watter

I have been quietly looking for one to use with a PS2. Think I need a Plexi type on the shelf.

PPI masters are good with the Suhr amps if you know how to treat them. Don’t think of the Suhr SL series PPI master volumes as a “true” master volume control like on a 5150 or Rectifier or something. Instead, think of it as a “Reverse High Cut” control. Increasing the Volume / Gain on a plexi means you add gain but lose treble and clarity as you do that. With the Suhr amps, the idea is that you start with the Master on 10 so it’s disabled, then you can turn up the front volumes until the gain is where you want (but the higher you go, the darker the amp will get overall) then edge down the PPIM until you get as much treble back as you want.

Unfortunately this means the control can’t be relied on to be a “true” master volume control, but what you get is much more useful for shaping your tone IMO. Well, as long as you have a good reactive load / reamping situation.

Last edited:
I’ve got one arriving on tues.

I’ve owned one before and thought it was the perfect plexi (at least for me)...mild breakup Hendrix tones to full on evh. I prefer no bright cap.

I tried an sv20 and while it had the nmv feel it was still too loud and kind of thin...so if I still need an attenuator, might as well go for one of the big boys. I don’t plan on gigging this amp, so if I ultimately need a power station so be it.

I find myself drifting away from all the modded amp sounds and only a real plexi has that ultra dynamic feel (at least imho).

I’ve been using an Fm3 with my band which works great for live gigs...having a great plexi to unleash at home should cover all my bases.

Back