TGP LOL's!!

While I agree, people can spend their money on whatever they want, I just never understood guys that post clips of killer gear, with mediocre playing.
I understand what you are saying but when and how do you decide when you are good enough to post clips?

When I saw Motley Crue in the 80's, I thought the same thing, how are these guys not too embarrassed to get up there?

If I would have known it was so beyond the pale I wouldn't have posted it.

Apparently it made a lot of boomers big mad.
That’s a great Big Audio Dynamite song,
“Beyond The Pale”.
Two amazing songwriter’s..
It’s not like Rick from Wizard NEVER speaks to customers by phone. It’s just not something he‘ll do very often. Hell even I’ve spoken to him once or twice. I’m sure Rick quickly sized this guy up from initial email correspondence and thought he wasn’t worth the impending headache.
I got punished on TGP, for calling that dude
“The Amp Karen”.

The weird trend that baffles me at the moment is the guys who have all the crazy gear and can barely play a note.

Most of them probably think they are God's gift to guitar and their skills are phenomenal. They for sure do a fair amount of patting each other on the back about how great they all sound.

I understand what you are saying but when and how do you decide when you are good enough to post clips?

There's nothing wrong with posting clips of mediocre playing. It all depends on the context and how butthurt you get from criticism.
If you post saying look how awesome I am then get your panties in a wad when someone says you need more practice it's probably better you stay away from youtube.
If you post knowing you're not the best and are open to critique to find where you need improvement then good for you. Keep posting the clips so we can all watch and share in the joy of your progression as a musician.

I've been banned over there several times over really stupid shit.
It's amazing to me how some of the people over there own $60,000 worth of gear and can barely play, I but I guess "barely play"
is subject to audience.
the 'self videos" have become much more common since the lockdowns, i see plenty of people posting vids on Facebook that make me think "really, you felt the need to share that?"? Lots of lonely people locked up in isolation will bring out some crazy shit I guess.
This culture we live in now with people constantly looking for validation through "likes" on social media is just sad. The level of narcissism
is just amazing to me.

i must be in the wrong forum over there, ill check the amp one every so often and its pretty boring to me

I've been banned over there several times over really stupid shit.
It's amazing to me how some of the people over there own $60,000 worth of gear and can barely play, I but I guess "barely play"
is subject to audience.
the 'self videos" have become much more common since the lockdowns, i see plenty of people posting vids on Facebook that make me think "really, you felt the need to share that?"? Lots of lonely people locked up in isolation will bring out some crazy shit I guess.
This culture we live in now with people constantly looking for validation through "likes" on social media is just sad. The level of narcissism
is just amazing to me.
I remember thinking stuff like, there is some heavy competition out there. The bar is set very high, I have to be better. But I guess were are starting to see the participation trophy generation come into play now.

and here I was thinking maybe I'll join after all these years... bugger that, sounds ridiculous over there.

The weird trend that baffles me at the moment is the guys who have all the crazy gear and can barely play a note.

People can spend their money how they want but man I HAD to learn how to play guitar when I was younger because there was never any new gear coming in

The playing and the music is what I fell in love with then the gear came 2nd.

It's even worse in the firearms community. People look at forums for pics of cool looking guns for years, then finally decide to go out and buy one for the first time. Then before they even buy ammunition for it, they're already asking questions on what mods they should get, what color to paint it, etc.

Then they show up to the range with all these tricked out pistols and AR rifles, but can't even put a bullet on paper at 10 yards.

It's even worse in the firearms community. People look at forums for pics of cool looking guns for years, then finally decide to go out and buy one for the first time. Then before they even buy ammunition for it, they're already asking questions on what mods they should get, what color to paint it, etc.

Then they show up to the range with all these tricked out pistols and AR rifles, but can't even put a bullet on paper at 10 yards.
I've seen this as well, I shoot USPSA ("B" level) and steel matches quite often between April and September, and I see al lot of tricked out guns with owners that are just starting out, looking for any advantage the "pros" say help.

I used to do competition shooting about 10 years ago. I got out of it because the general community was going in that direction. It got scary dangerous for me to go practice at the range because of these assholes. They'd come out with their fancy modified Glocks with a hair trigger, couldn't hit the broad side of a barn at 5 yards, and ZERO regard for firearm and range safety. Can't count the number of times I hit the dirt because one of these fools was waving a loaded pistol around while bragging about his shit.

If guitars were guns over half of TGP would be at the hospital for accidental self inflicted blunt force trauma.

Tgp is just a shill forum for paid posters and advertisers, nothing more. I got temp banned for talking about an artist in a negative way in a thread about his new sig that was coming out the next week. I didnt break any rules, they just didnt want to hurt prospecting sales for the guitar release. I havent been back since.

That place is full of Cadillac liberals all being manipulated by a few paid posters and the mods.

Help me out gents.... I'm really unfamiliar with the whole P & W concept. At that type of gig, I surmise alter boys are the groupies?

Ha. I'll be fair here. I've played a fair amount of church services over the years.* I found a number of the musicians there to be pretty cool guys, who had similar backgrounds to myself. The music itself is uninspiring to me, but if the worship leader is open minded to reasonable interpretation, then it's all good. I had some really good experiences, and learned some things from some "real musicians" (people with actual degrees and stuff), which was great. I also ran into those wanting to do note-for-note and sound-for-sound from the recording, but they weren't the majority. The TGP P&W discussion seems to be a lot less interesting and fun than most of the people I've run into in real life.

* My wife was big into going to church when we had kids, and the compromise was to go somewhere doing modern worship so I could play some guitar.....only way I'd really get involved. It was a huge bonus for us though, as she's a tremendous singer herself, and that's more in her arena so we got stage time together for the only time ever.

Guitar-wise it has it's stuff, but I carried my pointies in and played through my Mesa .22+ most of the time for it.

I only hang out in the tech forum helping people out or explaining complex amp theory along with a few others that are well known to help.

I like the rack forum. It seems to be mostly lowkey and interesting. Of course, it doesn't get the vintage snobs in it. I also look through the amp forum and just hit a couple of threads, likewise the guitar forum.

I joined there in 2006 I think. In 2009 Apple came out with 4 different pastel colors for their new iPhone and everyone over there were fawning all over them, waiting in long lines to get the latest color. I made what I thought was a funny wise crack…..I said, “you guys stood in a line for 2 hours to chose one of their new gay colors?”

Peterson and Big Mike immediately emailed me and said I was being banned for life for…………a hate crime!

The next day I rejoined under a new name.

I was perma-banned Friday night and I don’t even know why. While I’ve certainly pushed the boundaries of TGP at times, I hadn’t had any kind of disagreements with anyone for a few months. Whatever I did earned me 3 infraction points which pushed me over the limit.

My first temp ban was for saying “Roger Waters can f*ck off”, the 2nd for saying nothing more than “QCAnons” in a Quad Cortex thread. I‘m 99.9999999% sure it was one of the Wad Vortex cumsocks that reported me this last time and most definitely had to search back through my old posts to find something ban-worthy as none of my recent posts were deleted. The whole Digital & Modeling subforum took a dive when that fuckin’ unit started shipping. There are about 4 guys who own it that are great dudes (JerEvil being one) and the rest are insufferable cunts with fuckin’ Stockholm Syndrome. (For the record, the QC could eventually be cool, but there’s no fucking way I’ll ever buy a single product from NDSP after that rollout)

I have a lot of downtime at work, I love ALL guitar gear, old and new, amps, modelers, vintage Strats, new brands, whatever. There’s some good conversation to be had and as long as you can laugh at the comments that earned TGP it’s reputation, it’s just gear and laughs. But with 5 moderators and thousands of members, they can’t effectively moderate shit and choose to hit the nuke button without understanding the context of a post. IE- Cliff was goaded into the post he made by one guy constantly trolling the shit out of him relentlessly, which was CLEARLY evident throughout the entire fuckin’ thread and EVERY thread Cliff posted in.

I checked and my account at TGP is still active. What is the best way to get a permanent ban and account deletion?

Back