Those with amp rooms, how do you switch heads?

nevusofota

I finally want to set up my amp room and be able to switch to different heads with a push of a button or two, preferably all using the same cab(s). Also, I have one main pedal board that I would like to use with 3 different heads (fx loops). Is there some sort of junction box that I could hook each amp to, including the fx loops? It would be great to run my board to the "junction box" then out to each amp (and their respective loops)?.

There's also this switch, i've been looking at it but haven't purchased anything yet.

https://reverb.com/item/1525787-radial- ... nebone-new

Headbone-large.jpg

I have one 4x12 in my amp room with a real long speaker cable. I only plug a head into the power strip if it has that speaker cable in it, so I don't ever burn up a tranny. I often flip a head on, leave on standby, go do a few things and then come back and play. It's a pain in the ass, but I am always grabbing that speaker cable and moving it between heads. I had a Metro Head Master, but quickly tired of having that many cables running and knew I'd never bother with that at a gig.

Whowantsamustache":2onrsig6 said:
I think Ampete switchers are the only ones that have universal fx loop for all amps.

Yup... for awhile I was all about getting the Ampete 221 but now i'm thinking 444 might be the one... but yeah as mentioned not cheap. Never saw that Kahayan one before, the price isn't as bad... wish it had a loop.

webrthomson":ofjk39d1 said:
hstlaurent":ofjk39d1 said:
I use an Ampete to switch heads. It works well, but it's a bit pricey.

^ This - I'm currently saving for a Ampete 444, which will switch 4 heads into 4 cabs (2 at a time) and carry the FX loop to the head:

http://ampete.com/products/switcher-series/ampete-444/

I think Friedman are / were their US distribution?

Thought I seen one for sale on the Groomed Noodlers site.

errrrrl":3mxxqr8e said:
Whowantsamustache":3mxxqr8e said:
I think Ampete switchers are the only ones that have universal fx loop for all amps.

Yup... for awhile I was all about getting the Ampete 221 but now i'm thinking 444 might be the one... but yeah as mentioned not cheap. Never saw that Kahayan one before, the price isn't as bad... wish it had a loop.

For me I effectively have only 1 cabinet "out" to chose from (= ----> my Fryette Powerstation 2 -----> 4x12 CAB ) no matter what switcher I get, but the PS2 has a very good loop so that's a plus.

I could add another cheaper "CAB" switcher (Radial Tonebone?) after the PS2 to utilize my other cabs.

In your case one speaker out would be to your Suhr RL ?

I'm guessing that now that you have the Butterslax, you are going to need a PS2 to tame that beast down at home. More $. :scared:

Starman22":3n8xt4gl said:
For me I effectively have only 1 cabinet "out" to chose from (= ----> my Fryette Powerstation 2 -----> 4x12 CAB ) no matter what switcher I get, but the PS2 has a very good loop so that's a plus.

I could add another cheaper "CAB" switcher (Radial Tonebone?) after the PS2 to utilize my other cabs.

In your case one speaker out would be to your Suhr RL ?

I'm guessing that now that you have the Butterslax, you are going to need a PS2 to tame that beast down at home. More $. :scared:

Wow never thought about using the PS2's loop with an amp switcher.. thats a good idea. Not sure if I need a PS2 with the butterslax though, it actually sounds really good at low volumes. I'm going to hold off a bit longer... I need to see how much use my other amps are going to get going forward. ;)

longfxukxnhair":dd7cyhxv said:
Mattfig":dd7cyhxv said:
Voodoo Labs 4 amp switcher....Works awesome for what I need...

Same here.....I run 2 of them for 7 amps

Just googled em' looks like a an updated version is coming out soon. From what I can tell this will let you switch amps overall but does not switch multiple heads to share a single cab?

The voodoo labs unit is not the same concept as what the OP was asking. You would still be playing cable swap behind the amp unless you had a dedicated cab and loop for each head.

I was looking at the Ampete 444 but that Kahayan looks great for the price. Especially since I have more than 4 heads. I want them all to be connected to my Torpedo Studio.

I use a Brunetti Matrix. You can switch 3 heads into 1 cab and also switch pedals in front of the amps and pedals or rack in their FX loop. Works great. No tone loss and transformer isolated inputs/output to avoid grounc hum. Great machine.

232521-1000x452.jpg

232521-1-1000x429.jpg

JerEvil":21gnwudr said:
I was looking at the Ampete 444 but that Kahayan looks great for the price. Especially since I have more than 4 heads. I want them all to be connected to my Torpedo Studio.

You can use the Ampete 888 instead. It's scalable too, meaning you can hook 2 888 together if you ever need it. However I don't think it has fx loop support.

Back