Thoughts on the MCP 2nd Degree BB Neck Pickup?

guitarded_1

I have done a fair mount of searching regarding past comments on the 2nd Degree BB neck pickup, but most people tend to talk about the bridge model. I am very familiar with the bridge 2nd Degree BB, having put that one in a number of guitars.

I am thinking about putting a 2nd Degree BB calibrated set in a LP, and I am curious if anyone can tell me how well the neck plays with the bridge? Specifically, with calibrated sets from some other winders, if I am playing a distorted lead on the bridge, I will often lose the "push" when I switch to the neck pickup - like someone kicked off an overdrive pedal. This is why I often use a Wolfetone Marshallhead as my neck pickup. I don't want a neck pickup that is so mellow that it sound like I just switched to the clean channel on my amp.

How is clarity on the 2nd Degree BB neck? I'm not looking for a super rolled off high end, which is why I have previously used the MCP T Wreck neck in one of my guitars, which seemed to work pretty well. I like a lot of definition in a neck pickup.

Thoughts? Thanks.

I have them in two Les Pauls, they work pretty well for me...however I put a .015 cap in the neck and a .033 cap in the bridge. The .015 cap gives it a little more clarity in the tone on the neck as it's not as dark. You might try that, I do it in all of my Humbuckers guitars.

I find the 2dbb neck and bridge to work extremely well together. Imo it doesn’t come off as feeling weaker when you switch to the neck. If you have it set too low then maybe, but you can also have it too high so it sounds louder and thicker compare to the bridge. In other words, there isn’t anything inherently odd trying to balance them out. It’s a little rounder as one would expect, but it still has great clarity because it has good bite and string separation for a neck pickup. Whether or not it’s enough for your tastes only you’ll know, but it’s definitely not dark and weak compared to the bridge.

Back