Thoughts on the new AIC?

vchizzle

Great production, great guitar tones.
Overall album vibe - I was expecting/wanting a little bit heavier. I've only listened once through. I kinda wish they would've gone the old route of doing a heavier rock album and then a separate EP of more laid back tunes. But that's pure personal preference. Also feel Will is still under utilized as a lead vocalist. Yes, I understand Jerry is the man. I've seen them live with Will twice though where his vocal ability is more "on display" and he's great.

Still the songs are really good, some great. It's a really good album if you go in knowing there's 1/2 an album worth of the more laid back style. Lots of acoustic mixed in.

Nothing epic on it that's too catchy. Of course, nothing will ever be as epic as the early stuff. However, good effort, moderate vibe. I could almost hear ghosts of the 90's in Lab Monkey. The title track is a pretty cool chill track. Not bad, but not over the top either.

I liked it, downloaded it last night. I liked BGWTB more, but not bad. Hallow is a killer track!

Liking it well enough. They can never match past greatness, unfortunately. But I'll continue to appreciate it for what it is.

Wanted to love it... but just don't. Very uninspiring, sludgy and somewhat boring to me. Lacking dynamics... Wasn't a huge fan of BGWTG either... maybe Im just getting old :D That being said, I still like em, still love the old Alice, and their sound(specifically Jerry's) is soooo Solid!! Personally, I would of just loved to have seen them tour the Old stuff... they sound great live, still do.. would love to hear some Rain when I die, Grind, Dirt, Sickman, etc, etc... Really makes you realize how key Layne was to the sound...and how perfect he was for the band. :rock:

Now impatiently await Alter Bridge IV, New Black Stone Cherry... :thumbsup:

exactly what was stated above... the new stuff that i have heard is slooooowwwww and sludgy. Up the tempo for god's sakes. For me, I can't listen to these guys anymore. I get that was a big part of their sound but just doesn't do it for me anymore.

I just cant get into anything they have done since layne passed away... and they are still in my top 5 or 6 bands ever for their old stuff!
-mp-
Probably the most under appreciated singer in the last 20 years

I don't worry about what the new album sounds like compared to 90's AIC. That makes little sense to me. What I want to know is whether it's as strong as the last album, because that one was great.

D-Rock":2anz0ofl said:
I don't worry about what the new album sounds like compared to 90's AIC. That makes little sense to me. What I want to know is whether it's as strong as the last album, because that one was great.
I agree 100%. I would say not quite...the tracks I listed, I like as much.
There's no "A Looking View In" on this album...I thought that song was incredible. To me it carved out a new identity for them with Will on vocals while still cementing themselves in their sound.

New dude hardly ever sings by himself on the any of the new material (this record or last one). It is always the dual harmony thing happening which honestly gets a little old. I would prefer to hear a good frontman wailing a killer melody.

I remember when Jar of Flies came out I thought the same thing. The harmony vocals are too much. I dig them but not every single syllable of every single song.

vchizzle":3lry01hg said:
D-Rock":3lry01hg said:
I agree 100%. I would say not quite...the tracks I listed, I like as much.
There's no "A Looking View In" on this album...I thought that song was incredible. To me it carved out a new identity for them with Will on vocals while still cementing themselves in their sound.
Absolutely. Your comment in bold worries me though. That was my fav track too.
I loved Jerry's solo stuff, but only about half the songs because there were too many "laid back, mellow singer/songwriter" type of tracks. Just not what I want to hear.
Sounds like this album may be leaning that way too...

killertone":365eajgj said:
New dude hardly ever sings by himself on the any of the new material (this record or last one). It is always the dual harmony thing happening which honestly gets a little old. I would prefer to hear a good frontman wailing a killer melody.

I remember when Jar of Flies came out I thought the same thing. The harmony vocals are too much. I dig them but not every single syllable of every single song.
Yeah, I think that's by design unfortunately. My 2nd favorite tune on BGWTB was Last Of My Kind, still the only track where Will sings alone. I get that it's Jerry's baby, but I feel they are wasting a huge talent. I mean they've gotta have demos that he sings more in the lead vocal role, right? Or maybe not, maybe he doesn't push that angle at all.

Bummed there's no digital booklet on this album. Anyone have the physical CD? What's in the booklet?

Back