Transformer brand options for a fender brown face build

blackba

Looking at doing a modified fender brown deluxe build in a few months and was looking for transformer recommendations. It’s going to have an extra 12ax7 so I wanted to make sure the power transformer could handle that. I am building this in a Bf deluxe reverb chassis, it’s going to be a mutt but hopefully cool

In the past I would have just gone with classic tone, but they are closed.
Used mercury magnetics in the past.

Would heyborer or Hammond be a good option? What other options do I have and where is the best place to order from?

Looking at doing a modified fender brown deluxe build in a few months and was looking for transformer recommendations. It’s going to have an extra 12ax7 so I wanted to make sure the power transformer could handle that. I am building this in a Bf deluxe reverb chassis, it’s going to be a mutt but hopefully cool

In the past I would have just gone with classic tone, but they are closed.
Used mercury magnetics in the past.

Would heyborer or Hammond be a good option? What other options do I have and where is the best place to order from?

Hammond all the way. I've said if before but they make really excellent transformers. If they charged twice as much and made them look like old Dagnalls or Woden's they'd be hot items. I'm convinced many folks listen with their eyes and wallets, it's crazy.

Try them, I'd be shocked if you're disappointed with quality or sound of their products.

Hammond all the way. I've said if before but they make really excellent transformers. If they charged twice as much and made them look like old Dagnalls or Woden's they'd be hot items. I'm convinced many folks listen with their eyes and wallets, it's crazy.

Try them, I'd be shocked if you're disappointed with quality or sound of their products.
100% people shop with their eyes for sound products.

I didn’t even know Hammond made transformers for guitar amps, but then again, the actual inner workings of amps are one of life’s great mysteries to me. It would be amazing to be able to build amps.

Thanks, I like that I can get them through Mouser as well, as I order for them often.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Hammond-Manufacturing/290BX?qs=HhoUExdhPFkVbDX1SToguw==https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Hammond-Manufacturing/1760H?qs=itkJorDwoML2jG%2Bj7WfzBQ==

I recently built a Brown Deluxe using Mercury iron. The B+ is a little high for 6V6s but that's typical for old Fenders. JJ 6V6 can handle those voltages. I think it sounds great but it's a Brown Deluxe...I bet almost anything spec'd right would sound great.

Had it cranked into an old Marshall 4x12 just last night. Early ZZ Top to a tee.

20210814_100818.jpg

Back