TWIN JET - Purple Mod

Couldn't stand the iPhone clips so I managed to set up a couple SM57s and give 'er a whirl.

This is less a display of musicality and more about the difference in the glass. I've mixed around the tubes and have come up with some great changes. I went back to 'stock set up' today to record these. I didn't have the gear to lay any decent tracks for the last, oh, few weeks of not walking :LOL: :LOL:

Anyway - description is in the soundcloud window as to set up and all....

First clip is Channel 1, EQ all at noon:
https://soundcloud.com/mojo-p/tj-ch1-fl ... tock-tubes

Second clip is Channel 1, EQ to taste a bit nicer:
https://soundcloud.com/mojo-p/tj-ch1-cr ... h-eq-stock

Third clip is Channel 2, flat EQ (gain at noon as well:)
https://soundcloud.com/mojo-p/tj-ch2-fl ... tock-tubes

Last clip is Channel 2, EQ to sound a bit better, some clipping:
https://soundcloud.com/mojo-p/tj-ch2-wi ... tock-tubes

I'll have the new glass tone tests up sometime in the next couple days. I'm hoping for tomorrow (Monday) but we'll see. I've got the CLRs arriving in the morning tomorrow, sooooooooooooooo.... :D

Anyway, just some cheap and simple riffs and some hamfisting to get the sounds out. More to follow, and the new glass - FWIW - makes a significant difference.

Peace,
Mo

Awesome man! For some reason it seems like the gain was a bit less than mine would be at if you dialed it in similarly. Did you back off of the volume pot on the guitar?

Thanks Stephen and Leib...

I'll post the exact settings once the "new glass" samples are up. I'm going to try to get this done today. In order for this to work, the settings have to be identical for comparison purposes, as well as the mics and their placement. The noon EQ is obvious, but I'll post what the Ch.1 and Ch2. EQ were set at (and will be set at) when I get the tracks down.

Guitar was wide open, at all times; Gibson GoldTop DarkBack R7, stock pups (Classic 57s).

I'm hoping to throw some FX into a third sample as it loves a touch of delay and just a hint of 'verb when recording. But hey, I'm still putting this stuff down while laying on my back on the sofa with my foot elevated :LOL: :LOL:

Stay tuned.

Tracked a mess of fun and sloppy riffin' :LOL: :LOL:

Alright, final arrangement?
6550s sound immediately better than the KT88s. There's no "shrill" high end, at any volume. So it goes.
Preamps:
V1 - GL-ECC83
V2 - LPS matched
V3 - TAD 7025S
V4 - Jan-GE 5751
V5 - (any high grade Chinese is fine, but I went with) Ruby 7025S/12AX7-C Select
V6 - went to and from and to and from, between a balanced LPS and an Ei Yugo. Ei Yugo wins.

Will edit the clips and get 'em up shortly. Lots to pick and choose from, but lemme just say this - yesterday's tracking was fun, I laid on the sofa and hammered away on my goldtop. Was fine. Today, when I put the 6550s back in (biased at 32mA to 34.5mA, just FYI - they weren't perfectly matched!!) and stuck the preamp in, I wanted to play for hours. It just sounded so much nicer... Smoother, real rich, none of that brittle klangy-klang-klank in the top end. Of course, with the snoothness came compression and - potential fizz. The 5751 was originally in the V1 position. But what's the purpose of limiting gain in V1 when it's not even stacked yet? So I stuck it in the "do all" socket of V4 and it brought everything into a nice zone.

Love this amp!!

Thanks Joe :salute:

Clips coming, stay tuned...
Mo

boogie1":2ueq2fd5 said:
So how does the Purple Mod/Mode compare to the standard Twin Jet? Any major tonal differences you notice?
Yes. Significant. Little chance of true cleans coming off this Channel 1 now. I'll get into this more in a bit with the new clips I'll be posting, but it's voiced more aggressively, and definitely has more than a hint of modded Marshall capability to it. The presence (global) is a huge determinant to this.

Stay tuned, more to follow.

Do I like it better than the stock TJ? At this stage of the game I'll say they both have their pluses. But having had a stock one before, I'm really digging what I can get out of this new/modded channel.

Ventura":rq85tker said:
boogie1":rq85tker said:
So how does the Purple Mod/Mode compare to the standard Twin Jet? Any major tonal differences you notice?
Yes. Significant. Little chance of true cleans coming off this Channel 1 now. I'll get into this more in a bit with the new clips I'll be posting, but it's voiced more aggressively, and definitely has more than a hint of modded Marshall capability to it. The presence (global) is a huge determinant to this.

Stay tuned, more to follow.

Do I like it better than the stock TJ? At this stage of the game I'll say they both have their pluses. But having had a stock one before, I'm really digging what I can get out of this new/modded channel.

This is so cool you are finding the mojo in it. When selling a great amp, people always ask why. As I shared, a part time player like me really does not need a half dozen high gain heads. Now lets forget I ordered a Gemini.. :doh:

But that ch 1 turned into a favorite. I thought it really felt different with different tubes in V4. Nobody plugs that amp as a modern country of blues amp, but it has a slutty neighbor chic take on those styles to me. And if I want clean, the Bogner New Yorker does that in spades... Bitchez...

All these Bogner pedal demos have me thinking maybe next year a 20th XTC could come join the MKIIC and Rhodes as top dawgs in Madison Square Man Cave... If this incoming Red pedal is as good as expected....

Gee thanks Ventura with all your XTC pimpin.... :gethim:

Peace out Bruddah

:rock:

Heritage Softail":xq2zhb5m said:
But that ch 1 turned into a favorite. I thought it really felt different with different tubes in V4. Nobody plugs that amp as a modern country of blues amp, but it has a slutty neighbor chic take on those styles to me. And if I want clean, the Bogner New Yorker does that in spades... Bitchez...
I think this is a very accurate description of Channel 1 Purple Mod. I'm finding it's got more teeth than the usual Bogner gain style tone. It's still warm, brown, syrupy and all-Bogner, but it's got teeth if you dial it in.

Heritage Softail":xq2zhb5m said:
Gee thanks Ventura with all your XTC pimpin.... :gethim:

Peace out Bruddah
Hey, I'm not saying the 20thA is for everybody... But I will say without a doubt, 100% hands down, it's for me :yes:

Should be editing some clips today and posting. Peace.

SLOgriff":jpolxmav said:
Hey Ventura, are you still liking the Purple Mod Twin Jet? What color is yours?
Honestly I'm loving it.

I've actually used this amp more than my other amps since receiving it, really REALLY liking the Ch.1 on it (purple mod) to get me a lot of sweet tones. That said, and flame-suit donned, I've been digging into my Axe-II a lot more than any amp relatively speaking. But of my "analog time", the TJ has been running more than my others - maybe it's because it's still new and a bit of a novelty; maybe it's because it sounds f*ckin' awesome. But ya, I really love it. I missed not having a TJ when I sold mine - this one stays. Fact is, I'm starting to notice that my Bogners stay, while other manufacturers come, go, get pawned for a newer model, yada yada. But the Bogners have got what I love in "tone" - I can foresee having all 4 big players - TJ, 20th, Sheevs, and Goldfinger. They just sound THAT good (to me).

My amp is straight up black tolex. Stock. Mesh grille.

I managed to move some tubes around in it too - Sovtek LPS, Ei Yugo, Gold Lion, etc. in the preamp stage, and =C= 6550s in the power section - took an already amazing amp and righteously cranked it up a good 2 notches!! Thing sounds heavenly :D

My ears are ringing :D

Just finished a nice 2 hour sesh on my beloved TJ w/ Purple Mod.

Hell YEAH these are DAMN fine amps!!!! F*ck I LOVE Bogners :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

Ventura":1adukqh8 said:
My ears are ringing :D

Just finished a nice 2 hour sesh on my beloved TJ w/ Purple Mod.

Hell YEAH these are DAMN fine amps!!!! F*ck I LOVE Bogners :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

Cool! Glad you're enjoying it! The one I had was white tolex with salt/pepper grill. Mine must have been a dud because it just did not sound good and I even had a new Uber-Cab to play it thru.

You're right, Bogner's consistantly deliver! :thumbsup:

SLOgriff":31t49gpi said:
Mine must have been a dud because it just did not sound good and I even had a new Uber-Cab to play it thru.
That's just shitty. I wonder if it was a bad preamp tube lineup or what :confused:

When you say "did not sound good", what are we talking about here?

You know, if I may, it's weird. I've got a lot of other amps... I have the Axe-II. I think the Friedmans are great, the PWE, the Rhodes, the Wizards, the list goes on of "potential wants". I love my Diezels, they're phenomenal, no dis there whatsoever. But when I turn on my TJ, or my 20th-X, it's like I'm not sure "it's the sound and tone that's been in my head and I've been searching for forevar!!", but regardless, it just sounds fkn good!! It's sweet, rich, toneful, and sounds like what I think guitar+amp should sound like.

I'm not sure I'm explaining this 100% accurately... I know there are a mess of other amps out there with unique voicings and cool takes on the usual circuits and stuff - I own several of 'em. It's just, to me, Bogners - as is - sound "right" :yes:

Ventura":9929juan said:
SLOgriff":9929juan said:
Mine must have been a dud because it just did not sound good and I even had a new Uber-Cab to play it thru.
That's just shitty. I wonder if it was a bad preamp tube lineup or what :confused:

When you say "did not sound good", what are we talking about here?

I had a standard Twin Jet a year before and it sounded pretty good! The Purple Mod I had (obviously ONLY affects the first/green channel) just sounded "dull" and lifeless. Gone was the crunch of the stock TJ's first channel....even the lead channel was just ok. It had the stock chinese preamp tubes. I swapped a few tubes around but still sounded poo-poo. :confused:

Ya, something sounds odd here... Sorry you got a bum deal on that one.

I've had a Rev.2, a TJ and now this TJ purple. Love it. First channel rips. Second goes nuclear :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

Ventura":2r30jy84 said:
Ya, something sounds odd here... Sorry you got a bum deal on that one.

I've had a Rev.2, a TJ and now this TJ purple. Love it. First channel rips. Second goes nuclear :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

Glad you're digging it, brother! Uberschall's rock! :rock:

Back