Under a grand?

gtrplr71

So I have recently decided to strip everything back to zero and start over and would like to keep only my strats and my charvel 2016 So-Cal which is an incredible player. I really don't want to chase tone anymore and want to focus on just the music now. I have a grand to complete the rig. what amp would be versatile enough to do it all for a grand. I am a product of the 80's but enjoy modern hard rock such as Red and Evans Blue. What suggestions for an amp? I want to go low wattage if possible

A used Marshall DSL50 head or a new DSL40CST 1x12 combo from Sweetwater which comes stock with a Celestion Creamback 65 for $699. The DSL40 has a half power 20 watt mode which sounds great at any volume. Another thought is to wait for Friedman to release their new amp called The Runt, which will be the most affordable Friedman amp in their lineup and lower wattage too. I think it comes out in August.

I am going to suggest a used Dual Rectifier or 5150 III 100W. You can get both of these for under a grand if you look around.

I think you already own it with the EVH 50w. 2204 also but it's not as versitile if you want to use the rig for low volume settings. DSL would be one of the best options.

DSL40C with Creamback speaker upgrade is popular. By comparison Blackstar has less smooth overdrive, is a little more compressed, and has a mid peak tone to its clean channel.

You might want to check out Jet City too.

2204 and throw a loop in if you need. My 82 is as good as anything I've had at volume, and sounds great at low vol as well. All others mentioned are more versatile, but if you want that tone, they fall short IMO. Detox pedal for a decent clean, and whatever boost you want for heavier stuff.

Another vote for the EVH 5150 III heads. You can snag a 50-watt for maybe $700 used or the 100-watt head for $1K used. (Not sure if you could find a deal on a Stealth head. People tend to really love those things, and they are slightly higher in price.) But since you mentioned wanting lower wattage, the 50-watt III would be a good amp.

Although, when you say "low wattage", do you mean like "super low"? If that is the case, check out the Laney IRT 15H or the Laney IRT Studio (I had the latter for a while). Great heads that are tonally versatile. 15 watts cranked through a 4x12 is still enough to keep up with a band for live purposes. And then for jamming at home, both units can be switched down to <1, which is perfect for quieter playing through a cab without bugging the neighbors. The IRT Studio though has an internal dummy load with a headphone output jack, so you can plug in headphones and just jam without the need to connect a cab.

Yeah EVH 50 if you want lower wattage than 100 watts but for me the 100 sounds better, 50 is good too ... Dont dismiss the Peavey 6505+ either

Used Deliverance 60s go for stupid low prices. Not sure if you could do both for under $1k but the D60 with D412 is a smoking rig, can do 80's and modern if you like.

Good amps under a grand (if you look long enough to find the right price:) DSL50, 2204, 2-channel Rectos, Deliverance. I've played them all and thought they can work reall well at lower volumes and can do everything you want (some will need a boost).

For me, the pick was a 2204.

this is what I bought. I have had the 5150III for A year, decided that everything was about chasing tone and very distracting so I am downsizing my rig period. 1 Charvel So-Cal 1 fender American standard 1 blackstar HT-40 and an EQD dispatch master. I took the Charvel and played through everything from the Brown Eye and dirty Shirley and DSL 40 I knew I would not buy them but they are awesome the dirty Shirley is wicked . I wanted 1000 to be my limit and think I made a good choice. I am still keeping my Prestige TW3120. so there it is hopefully no more distractions I am focusing on technique. plus I now have some savings money from liquidation.

this is what I bought. I have had the 5150III for A year, decided that everything was about chasing tone and very distracting so I am downsizing my rig period. 1 Charvel So-Cal 1 fender American standard 1 blackstar HT-40 and an EQD dispatch master. I took the Charvel and played through everything from the Brown Eye to the dirty Shirley and DSL 40 I knew I would not buy them but they are awesome the dirty Shirley is wicked . I wanted 1000 to be my limit and think I made a good choice. I am still keeping my Prestige TW3120. so there it is hopefully no more distractions I am focusing on technique. plus I now have some savings money from liquidation.

Bob Savage":2gdlas71 said:
Used Deliverance 60s go for stupid low prices. Not sure if you could do both for under $1k but the D60 with D412 is a smoking rig, can do 80's and modern if you like.
Another great choice! :rock:

Back