UPS dropped my new Marshall head

Martymig

I'm worried something might go bad on it down the road. It's working great right now but it's brand new except where UPS dropped it and dented the back grill that covers the tube. It's mostly for ventilation but it's damaged now and it's brand new.
What should I do ? Like I said, it seems to be working as it should and sounds great.

Take the back off and take a close look at the transformers.
Sometimes a drop can bend the bracket that bolts the transformer to the chassis.

This happened to an SC20 that was dropped by Fedex.

x.jpg

The amp can work like this, and even last a lifetime without any issues.
Having the back off will let you inspect other stuff too.

(all this assumes you haven't done it already)

Sometimes a drop can bend the bracket that bolts the transformer to the chassis.

View attachment 77412

The same thing happened to me. UPS dropped my Hayseed amp so hard, that the PT ripped away from the aluminum chassis.

The same thing happened to me. UPS dropped my Hayseed amp so hard, that the PT ripped away from the aluminum chassis.
I thank you... I just did and everything looks good. I reshaped the metal grill covering and screwed it back on. I've been doing alot of reading on dropping tube amps and I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I should be fine. I've banged alot of solid state amps around and something would always start acting up afterwards. That's why I was worried when I saw this. But tube amps are a little different...it should be fine. I think the grill covering took most of the shock.

This one I didn't even bother opening the box. Returned it as damaged.
Even if it looked OK and worked, the shock it took from this drop is not worth chancing long term.

amp1.jpg

amp2.jpg

View attachment 77412

This was good information and I thank you. I took a look and it's fine. I just hope everything inside the chassis is fine but, there's not much in there but wiring and some cathodes/diodes....and all that....nothing to fragile..
I just bought a new Studio Vintage 20H, those new Plexi SLP's with the lower wattages.it sounds beautiful ! It's the Marshall SV20H if you want to Google it.

This is what I'm working with

Attachments

• IMG_20210505_155107.jpg
    IMG_20210505_155107.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20210505_155259.jpg
    IMG_20210505_155259.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20210505_155222.jpg
    IMG_20210505_155222.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 39
Your right, that looks like a heavy combo amp. If it's a solid state with a PC board, I wouldn't chance it either...

That carton was the replacement Marshall SC20 from Sweetwater for the one with the bent transformer!!!

That carton was the replacement Marshall SC20 from Sweetwater for the one with the bent transformer!!!
So it happened to you twice ?!?! It's almost like these FedEx/UPS employees are people who dislike Marshall's or guitarists or are just jealous and do this intentionally.

Well, I made the carton damage a little worse while fiddling with it but not by much... I'm on the fence about returning it... I do have a 5 year warranty on it....

Ya, depends on your situation. I was in zero rush for mine and could wait the extra couple weeks.

You also have to think about resale. The original packaging can always get you a little more $$.
You try to sell in that box and you'll have to slash your price! :D

Back