UPS wants a Tax ID?

What is this for? I bought a guitar from a dealer overseas and I see you guys do that all the time so... what is going on? I'm so confused? Is this something I'm going to have to pay for?

That's probably your social security number (for a business, it'd be a tax ID number). Sounds like they're getting ready to hit you with a brokerage fee. UPS is terrible about that. The best way to have stuff delivered from overseas is any method that uses USPS once stateside. Canada Post. EMS. Etc.

I just went on the website and it said it was free... no idea if I'm reading or understanding any of it right. This is all about nafta (I'm not a business so I don't get it) or something... I hate this all... all I know.

They are looking for a CF5106 importer record form which is a homeland security form required by Customs/Border is my guess. If the value is over 2K you will have duties to pay. If it's over 2K they would be looking for a Lacey act form if it was not in the pouch. You will probably be hit with brokerage fees regardless. UPS cost allot more than Fedex in my experience. 3700 guitar they nailed me for 370 on delivery. :thumbsdown:
Here's the form. Fill it out and email it. Simple to fill out. Just follow the second page directions. Use SSN box. Leave IRS# box blank. Every overseas import I did required this form for Customs clearance.

UPS will charge a brokerage fee even if there's no custom/duty owed. That's been my experience.

Yeah, UPS will charge a brokerage fee (their charge for filling in some paperwork) based on the value of the item being imported to the US. USA made items shouldn't incur any taxes/duties, but UPS will still charge that fee.

Thank for all the help guys. I put the tracking number in and it says due for delivery tomorrow... I wonder if I'm good now? If it was a mistake hopefully it gets here before they catch it hahaha!!

Who knows. Last time this happened to me, they called and said I owed a fee. I whined and paid it, but then the driver demanded I pay the fee again and refused to drop it off after I showed him Id already paid. It was a lot of fun.

Back