Using different tubes than what amp was designed for

maddnotez":25ke14pk said:
leib10":25ke14pk said:
Talked to Charley at Bogner, and he said that KT88s in the Rev 2 are just fine if they bias up well.

What are some of the cooler KT88's out there?

Was going back and forth between EH6CA7's and JJE34L's but I suppose the KT88's could solve the issue :p.

I'm also wondering if it's worth getting the mod to just run a hotter set vs having to have a cooler set.

I would do what jc938 did and just ask for the coolest set they have. It should be fine. Charley mentioned two things specifically:

1. The Uberschall's transformer is of sufficient quality that it can deal with any additional stresses of KT88s being used (no surprise there).
2. The actual size of the KT88s matters. The Rev 2s in circulation, being older amps, have tube sockets that have begun to lose their tension. While this is not normally a problem, he said that physically larger tubes like JJ KT88s may increase the wear on tube sockets, as opposed to the smaller Sovteks. Something to think about, although it's certainly possible to replace the tube sockets if it becomes an issue.

Back