Warm welcome from Carol-Ann Custom Amplifiers

Carol-AnnAmps":po44s87l said:
joebob":po44s87l said:
Carol-AnnAmps":po44s87l said:
ampjunkie":po44s87l said:
Anyway, a very fun amp to play and very easy to lose track
I'm gigging one tonight and we play everything from Country Rock to Rage.

Great description Alan !!! you're on to something...LOL !!!

Changing tones from Country to Rage must require some tweaking...
I'm wondering if you're gonna come up with a Revo 2 channels eventually to facilitate
Live playing ?

Sometimes just plugging in to one amp with very little else except the guitars volume control gives you a sense of freedom and expressiveness that no multi-channel amp every can. It's like driving a classic 60's sports car. The Revo can cover a lot of territory, but it shines in the medium gain ultra-dyanmic type rock tones. To get to the Rage tones I must confess I do step on an 808.

The Revo 2 actually is a model that will hit the Dealers in April. It probably wont appeal to too many on this site unless they want a very warm single channel clean amp with reverb. It's the compliment amp to Revo 1. Some guys like the 2 amp setup, but each is totally useable on it's own. It all depends on styles and what someone is looking for.

However, we have on the drawing board something that will appeal to a few on here. A three channel hand built Rock amp that will cover right up to the higher gains. My friend Jim Harper has been on my ass to build this amp for 4 years now and I finally decided to do it. As I've said a few times before, I'm not in to the ultra compressed, ultra gain thing.......but you can expect something that will get a little past SLO gain levels on the third channel. Dynamic range is a common demoninator with all amps I build. They don't hide anything, this amp will be the same. This is a blessing and a curse, but I wouldn't ever change that about them. An amp is as instrument too.

The 3 channel sounds killer!!!!!
Will there ever be a Revo 3 which combines 1+2??? :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

[/quote]
However, we have on the drawing board something that will appeal to a few on here. A three channel hand built Rock amp that will cover right up to the higher gains. My friend Jim Harper has been on my ass to build this amp for 4 years now and I finally decided to do it. As I've said a few times before, I'm not in to the ultra compressed, ultra gain thing.......but you can expect something that will get a little past SLO gain levels on the third channel. Dynamic range is a common demoninator with all amps I build. They don't hide anything, this amp will be the same. This is a blessing and a curse, but I wouldn't ever change that about them. An amp is as instrument too.[/quote]

A 3 channels great to hear that Alan !!!

...I have a OD-2r in the mail...can't wait to get this one !!!

Hey Alan,

Welcome to RigTalk!! :thumbsup: Hope all has been well, and you enjoyed your hols.

Alan makes some of the best made, best sounding amps out there. Readers, sit up and take notice!!!

Hi Alan, I finally got home from woop-woop and got my ancient computer working so I could register here.
Lots of chat about the Revo at present.
There is a nice EL34 OD2-50 for sale, but that's not really me. The 6L6 version of that with the boost mod would be more suited to me though.
Hope your trip went well.

Hey Alan nice to see you over here. I like this gear forum alot more than the other site. At least the mods here have a sense of humor and won't ban you for 1 1/2 years for making a joke. The other forum's mods have turned into Nazi's and you can't even make a joke without getting screwed. Hopefully the guys over here have a sense of humor and don't take all this gear stuff too seriously. I am loving the OD2 it is a spectacular amp. The OD voicing is perfect and might be my favorite of alltime.

Chuck

Alan,

My pleasure to meet you out in LA and have lunch together. Very good guy here who knows his tone and is down to earth. Rig-Talk approved!

rareguitar":j1y6cjwn said:
Alan,

My pleasure to meet you out in LA and have lunch together. Very good guy here who knows his tone and is down to earth. Rig-Talk approved!

Thanks Brad ! It was a a good time. Now about your profile avatar........are they your amps ? If so, you beat my Marshall collection even in it's heyday......lol.....

procos":2tr0bz9o said:
Hey Alan nice to see you over here. I like this gear forum alot more than the other site. At least the mods here have a sense of humor and won't ban you for 1 1/2 years for making a joke. The other forum's mods have turned into Nazi's and you can't even make a joke without getting screwed. Hopefully the guys over here have a sense of humor and don't take all this gear stuff too seriously. I am loving the OD2 it is a spectacular amp. The OD voicing is perfect and might be my favorite of alltime.

Chuck

Hi Chuck,

You will find this site is much more down to earth. The owner Brad is a top notch guy.
Really appeciate your comments on the OD2.
As well as the site mods, I have the ability to moderate the Carol-Ann area myself too.
However, I will say one thing...despite all the dick-headery over there, the Roll Call thread has had several thousand posts, hit the post limit on it's first version andf getting up there on it's second and not once has it ever got derailed. I'm very pleased with the maturity and helpfullness of the CA owners and their ability to respectfully treat each other and anyone else who needs advice. I actually would like to continue that thread here when it gets to part 3.
As a Manufacturer posting on a non-manufacturer thread I have to be really careful how I word every post...I once got an infraction for saying that I never understood the obsession with the 18W Marshall circuit because I thought it had a rather flubby low end. I was just talking as a guitar player, not an amp builder....but you know how it is. Someone from the 18W forum probably got trigger happy with the 'report post' button.
After that I was really careful how I worded things and just try to be fully respectful of the rules. It would be easier if I wasn't a guitar player with opinions too...lol....

The ironic thing is Chuck most of us guys that own amp manufacturing businesses have a lot of respect for each other, much more so than some of the owners do. I've seen some serious arguments about one of our amps vs another builders model with guys getting all bent out of shape all the while I'm talking to the other builder on the phone laughing about it. Kind of ironic.
We build tools to help inspire peoples creativity and enjoyment. It's great that there are quite a few good options out there.

Alan,
I agree 100% and I don't have a problem with the members at TGP I really like most of them. My problem is with the mods. They are ego maniacs who most likely get no power in life or at their real jobs so they use TGP as a power source for themselves. Here is what I said that got a 1 1/2 year suspension and you tell me if you think it is justified. I said I didn't think it was cool that TGP charged people to use the emporium and that I thought TGP was getting like the great "Washington Machine". Now that comment was a joke. When I wrote it I never thougtht in my wildest dreams it would cost me 1 1/2 years on the forum. If I knew I was even going to get an infraction point I would have refrained. Bottom line is I had just served a year suspension and I honestly believe those guys over there had it out for me and were just waiting for me to say anything remotely controversial and then they could ban me again. Either way I'm done over there because I don't want to be where I am not wanted. The place is way to uptight I'd rather hang somewhere that is more easy going. I am not into jazz anyway and like rock roll alot more which this place seems to be geared towards.

on another note I am loving the OD2 more and more everyday. You really got a great amp there.

Regards,

Chuck

Hey Chuck, you're absolutely right. forums are there for people to use them and the more restricted they get the more people flee them for other places. What happened to you out there sucks. Glad you have your voice back. Keep it up!

MCK":grc431by said:
Hey Chuck, you're absolutely right. forums are there for people to use them and the more restricted they get the more people flee them for other places. What happened to you out there sucks. Glad you have your voice back. Keep it up!

Thanks man I appreciate it. The nice thing as well is I don't have to see the same old BS Dumble threads over and over. With the guys fighting over the same old stuff. Seems like the guys on this forum like the music I like as well which is rock n roll instead of elevator music. :LOL: :LOL: Eddie, Warren, Duane and Jerry are my idols not Carlton and Ford. Not saying Carlton and Ford aren't good players just not my thing.

procos":j3gplann said:
MCK":j3gplann said:

Thanks man I appreciate it. The nice thing as well is I don't have to see the same old BS Dumble threads over and over. With the guys fighting over the same old stuff. Seems like the guys on this forum like the music I like as well which is rock n roll instead of elevator music. :LOL: :LOL: Eddie, Warren, Duane and Jerry are my idols not Carlton and Ford. Not saying Carlton and Ford aren't good players just not my thing.

+1

procos":37y5vkyv said:
Thanks man I appreciate it. The nice thing as well is I don't have to see the same old BS Dumble threads over and over.

Posting a clip of "Politician" here will get you banned faster than you can say hotrubbermonkey :yes:

* velcro-fly *":1hk0y2o3 said:
procos":1hk0y2o3 said:
Thanks man I appreciate it. The nice thing as well is I don't have to see the same old BS Dumble threads over and over.

Posting a clip of "Politician" here will get you banned faster than you can say hotrubbermonkey :yes:

That is too funny.
I've had my run-ins with Tag, but I had a great chat with him the other day after telling him he is full of sh*t.
I can't fault his enthusiasm, and I suspect we'd get along very well in person. He is rather obsessional.

Well I was not referring to Tag. I really like Tag and have been friends with him for years. I am referring to some of the other guys. Tag is cool in my book. He can play his ass off as well.

Ken Ho":yk5hepun said:
* velcro-fly *":yk5hepun said:
procos":yk5hepun said:

That is too funny.
I've had my run-ins with Tag, but I had a great chat with him the other day after telling him he is full of sh*t.
I can't fault his enthusiasm, and I suspect we'd get along very well in person. He is rather obsessional.

Yes, he can play.
When you mention "posting Politician clips" though, it's hard not to think of Tag.
Anyway, didn't come here to bicker about that, rather because I have a keen interest in Alan's amps.
Hopefully I shall have one soon, just waiting on some details.

procos":2amv7937 said:
Well I was not referring to Tag. I really like Tag and have been friends with him for years. I am referring to some of the other guys. Tag is cool in my book. He can play his ass off as well.

Ken Ho":2amv7937 said:
* velcro-fly *":2amv7937 said:
procos":2amv7937 said:

That is too funny.

* velcro-fly *":2eekhojp said:
procos":2eekhojp said:

:D

So I take it this forum isn't obssessed with Tag's almighty Dumble, the supposed greatest amp in the world? Right on. Try posting a "Politician" clip over at TGP and you'll likely be tarred and feathered. Once I get a recording setup, I'll be posting my own "Politician" clip just to get them going. :LOL: :LOL:

I'm also the proud owner of a Carol-Ann OD2 50 watter and have to say that Alan builds a fine amp. I'd been looking for a versatile two-channel amp for a long time and found it with this one. For my style (heavy blues/rock, funk, classic rock), this thing is hard to top. It's very responsive and cleans up nicely. Takes pedals well too. The loop takes pedals equally well, which is something you don't see in too many amps.

Back