What happened to the off-topic?

I hear you. I’ve said it before, you seem like a pretty nice guy. But my main point here, and you didn’t stay these exact words, but this - “your precious Free Speech” - that kind of mentality is alarming to me. It’s not just on this forum, but it seems that it’s spread everywhere. Apparently I’m not making this point clear somehow for some of you guys to understand what I’m saying. It seems to always devolve into a right vs left or Republican vs Democrat thing when it shouldn’t it. It’s the idea of banning people, talk, threads, forums, etc., that’s so prevalent that concerns me. THAT’S the point I’m making.
Stating "It’s not just on this forum, but it seems that it’s spread everywhere." Is just as alarming to me. I agree on everything devolving into us vs them.

Let's make one thing clearer here. There is a behavioral problem here. It is maybe 10 people acting like complete assholes and derailing every single thread into a slugfest. I do not see a problem with the owner of a bar telling a handful of customers to shut up. Then closing down the part of the bar they hung out at. It is also fine for the owner or manager to kick them out if the vast majority of customers are tired of hearing it.

If you think this is some bigger problem in society eroding rights (even if you aren't one of those 10 people), you are reading way too much into the situation and not looking at the specific things happening here that has made this site a toxic dump.

There is more than one way to have disagreeing opinions. Whatever is going on here is clearly not working for everyone.

Thing is, why didn't the admin not just ban those who were insulting others? Why delete the OT entirely? :dunno:
At least one mod wrote a post saying he/she was tired of receiving reports from people insulting each other when the same people reporting posts were also insulting people. Pretty much read to me like they didn't want to babysit adults or spend time reading everything. Maybe things changed, but at the time they didn't seem to want to get involved. The decision to delete the subforum came from owners and not mods assuming I read things correctly.

Why delete the OT entirely? :dunno:

Had you been following it much?
Most days the entire first page was nothing but threads about conspiracy theories and/or The Big Lie.
And if anyone with a dissenting opinion popped in they were immediately piled on and labeled
a retard, libtard, idiot, etc., over and over again by the same 4-5 folks who had formed a sort of 'club'
within the OT section.

At least one mod wrote a post saying he/she was tired of receiving reports from people insulting each other when the same people reporting posts were also insulting people. Pretty much read to me like they didn't want to babysit adults or spend time reading everything. Maybe things changed, but at the time they didn't seem to want to get involved. The decision to delete the subforum came from owners and not mods assuming I read things correctly.
Well, that's just plain lazy. :LOL:

Had you been following it much?
Most days the entire first page was nothing but threads about conspiracy theories and/or The Big Lie.
And if anyone with a dissenting opinion popped in they were immediately piled on and labeled
a retard, libtard, idiot, etc., over and over again by the same 4-5 folks who had formed a sort of 'club'
within the OT section.
I don't care what the posts were/are about. If people want to engage in conspiracy theories, have at it! How do you combat a big lie? Tell a bigger lie. :cool:

If members are engaging in personal attacks, that's grounds for a perma-ban. What I would do, is charge banned members to be reinstated. $10.00 increase for every reinstatement. If you get your license revoked, they don't give it back to you free of charge. If ya wanna play, ya gotta pay. 💰😉

What is kind of crazy is that with the new format, avoiding it was super easy. I didn't see it unless I went looking for it. I don't care about the political stuff but I like random OT stuff like cooking/drinking/cars/guns/etc.

Same

And if IIRC, most of the BS was in political threads and politics has always been a banned topic here so it was bound to fail. I have not looked at page 2 yet, but I'm guessing this thread is headed to the shit hole by now.

Same

And if IIRC, most of the BS was in political threads and politics has always been a banned topic here so it was bound to fail. I have not looked at page 2 yet, but I'm guessing this thread is headed to the shit hole by now.

When this place started, there were absolutely no “banned topics.” The whiners skept whining and over time got their way, as usual.

When this place started, there were absolutely no “banned topics.” The whiners skept whining and over time got their way, as usual.

Looking over this forum after being away for years. I don't recognize any of the regulars. That's what happens when good members pack it in.
Whoever runs this place now is an abject failure.

There’s a general phenomenon I’ve noticed on the internet. Any forum with free speech and little to no moderation becomes right wing. Leftist ideas cannot exist without censorship and moderation.

Why do you act so stupid when it suits your argument?
You know what you typed above is total bullshit in regards to simple R vs D.

I know plenty of Republicans who would think folks like Picasso and CGG are
just plain despicable human beings - regardless of their political affiliation.

Sucks for you that it seems most jerks, racists, bigots, assholes, etc. always lean right.

Back