What piece of gear has been a staple in your collection?

mystixboi

For me... Boss TU2 tuner and Bad Horsie Wah. I've had both for over a decade. I think I've had to boss for over 2 decades.

Super solid pieces of gear. How about you?

Ibanez Tube King TK999US. It's the overdrive/boost I use in front of my tube amps 95% of the time Just enough gain to get a hint of break up, pull back on the bass for a bit of low cut, mids at 75%, and crank the output.

My 1989 Hamer USA Californian; had it for at least 20 years now

Also my Electro-Harmonix 4x12 cab; have had that for at least a decade

My LACS Starfield Cabriolet; have also had that for at least a decade

My Keeley modded SD-1

Newest pieces of gear that i’ll never sell are my custom Dark Matter (Balaguer) Anomaly, my custom Bauer Pacer, and my Sound City Master Lead 50 halfstack

besides the little things (orange tortex, dimarzio clip lock straps, etc) Boogie Mark IVa's. I've playing them off and on since the late 2000's. every time i strayed away (c+'s, kempers, mark III's, IVb's, etc), i always ended up going back, and don't see myself going in any other direction any time soon. Also, the good old boss dd3 seems to always stick around no matter how hard i try to replace it with higher end, more complex delays.

Ibanez Tube King TK999US. It's the overdrive/boost I use in front of my tube amps 95% of the time Just enough gain to get a hint of break up, pull back on the bass for a bit of low cut, mids at 75%, and crank the output.
those are great. i once ran one of those in front of a marshall bluebreaker combo and really nailed the kill em all tone believe it or not.

Marshall 1960B with greenbacks has been around for years now. If I had to drop down to one cab, that one would stay. Original Koko Boost and then a 2010 wine red LP. Will never sell it for a number of reasons.

Of all of the gear that I have, the oldest staples are a parts guitar - a 1988 lipstick logo charvel 475XL special with a pickup I built in the bridge, and my 2005 made in USA 5150 II that I purchased new in high school and modified ages ago.

I’ve had the 5150 II going on 17 years and the charvel going on 12 years. The only reason I still have the charvel is because I can’t get out of it what I have in it 😂

@phil b has played the charvel.

The only reason I still have the 5150 II is sentimental reasons. They’re a dime a dozen now and I also would be upside down on it if I got rid of it, so I keep it around to play it once and a while.

Pedals: '70's Foxx Tone Machine (best fuzz of all time imo) and Klon Centaur (best overdrive pedal)

Amps: Mesa/Boogie Mark IIC+ HRG, Dual Rectifier Rev D and Naylor SuperDrive 60. My '67 Plexi would a staple too if it was able to get those tones at lower volumes, but can't unfortunately. The IIC+ is the amp I've held onto longer than any other

Guitars: McInturff Glory Standard and '57 Les Paul Jr (Best guitar I've tried). The McInturff for whatever reason has been the guitar I pick up most often and always my default guitar I use to test gear like amps, pedals, speakers, etc. Have had it for 3 years now and was right away the guitar I'd find myself picking up most often and I've got 36 guitars total

Pickups: Tone Specific's, particularly the Bloombucker bridge and Virtuoso or Twang neck

Cabs: Kerry Wright 412

Last edited:
‘78 Ibanez Studio 100.
Boss OC-2, DD-3 & CH-1
Rivera M60
Zinky Mofo
Peterson Strobostomp V1 with upgraded Switchcraft jacks.

I'd say particular types of gear have been staples, meaning a marshally amp, a les paul, a strat, a wah, an OD, a delay. But the specific ones have always changed in my rig. That said, the pieces of gear in my collection the longest are a 64 EKo ranger 12, a 64 Duo Sonic II both were my dads and have been around my whole life, a dixon acoustic I got in late 90s, and then it would be the 8 parts casters I built in the early 2000s and a 74 Takamine F395s I got in 2004.

Digitech drop and until recently the Fortin Zuul. I kept changing stuff up constantly but those too stayed. Now the Zuul has been replaced by the Deadweald Golem so the drop is the last man standing.

My pair of 1979 Marshall 4x12s with original G12-65's have been with me since the 80's. I'll never get rid of them, though I honestly doubt I'll ever take them onto a stage again. I regret daily selling off the 2203 that matched with them.

I have an '84 Charvel and '87 Jackson strat I've had forever (25-30 years) that I also won't let go. I have a handful of parts'o'casters that were my main guitars for years, and mostly were put together 20+ years ago.

I tend to buy quality stuff and just keep it.

Back