What's the going rate for a good GE JAN 5751

War_in_D

I've got an old Peavey Ultra 1x12 combo that is my main practice amp and that amp has always sounded really good. Well, at least as good as one of those can sound. I bought it used, and checked out what tubes were in it right after I bought it and it's got a GE JAN 5751 inte PI slot. I've heard a lot of good things about those tubes in the PI, and have often thought that it might be why this amp sounds so good. I was wanting to try the 5751 in some of my other amps, so I'm on the hunt. What's considered a good price for them, and is there anything that I need to watch out for like reliability issues, etc.?

I have 4 of those that I bought NOS maybe 10 years ago and love them in the PI or to calm the preamp gain on an amp. No idea what a good current price is but the last time I looked, they seemed to be getting pricey.

Why in the PI spot tho??
I'm not amp guru, but it seems that it would only make the amp quieter..

Yeah, me either. I've just seen a lot of love for that tube in the PI, and I have to say that my combo with it sounds pretty good. Just a lot more smooth, and seems to have more depth and harmonics to it. Maybe because it's a lower gain tube, it doesn't smack the power transformer so hard or something.. LOL

Should be about $30 bucks if you know where to look.
I feel this price is really low unless you’re talking about used. Maybe for the Phillips JAN, but the General Electric JAN fetch more. I’m talking the 12AX7, 5751 and 12AT7 versions.

I feel this price is really low unless you’re talking about used. Maybe for the Phillips JAN, but the General Electric JAN fetch more. I’m talking the 12AX7, 5751 and 12AT7 versions.
JAN Philips typically go for more than that I believe even used. I actually prefer them to GE’s in most of my amps that like American 12AX7’s. My overall favorite American pre-amp tubes

JAN Philips typically go for more than that I believe even used. I actually prefer them to GE’s in most of my amps that like American 12AX7’s. My overall favorite American pre-amp tubes
My fav (by far) USA Tube
03116469-32B8-4070-ACD0-55FBB754338B.jpeg

My fav (by far) USA Tube View attachment 94239
Yes exactly that one with the blue letters. Those and the Mullard Blackburn’s have been my 2 favorite pre-amp tubes (just depends which amp). Put ‘em in a Recto, SLO, Naylor or Wizard and they’re glorious, especially in those 1st 2 amps mentioned. JAN Philips tubes across the board are great (6v6, 6SL7, 5881, 12BZ7, etc)

The old USA Tung-Sol 12AX7’s also sound quite good and similar-ish to the Philips and cheaper, but can be a little tubby

Last edited:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570&_nkw=JAN+5751&_sacat=0
2 second search.
Plenty of deals to be had. Its not that popular a tube except for forum people and maybe HAMM radio folks.
JAN = "Joint ARMY/NAVY" tubes made for the Military for Gyrocompass/Radio ect. Not guitar amps/audio.
Most all Military is Satellite/solid state equipment now.
Ive tried all the forum folklore 5751 in the PI ect but ive always gone back to 12AX7's.
Never made a huge difference IMO.

Last edited:
I have a bunch of the JAN tubes. Both GE and Phillips. Some labeled Westinghouse as well...which are likely Phillips since GE etched their glass. I like the GE’s since they tend to be tighter and track notes faster.

1636237625671.jpeg

1636237799249.jpeg

1636237853953.jpeg

I have a bunch of the JAN tubes. Both GE and Phillips. Some labeled Westinghouse as well...which are likely Phillips since GE etched their glass. I like the GE’s since they tend to be tighter and track notes faster.

View attachment 94305
View attachment 94308
View attachment 94311
I’ve got a bunch of Westinghouse’s too (12ax7’s, 12bz7’s, 6v6). They sound different than GE and Philips and I believe are their own brand. Similar sounding imo to Sylvania tubes or also the CBS-Hytron’s I’ve got. Of the American tubes I think the Sylvania’s are quite tight, but not as much warmth or character

Tightest pre-amp tubes I’ve had are my Siemens ECC83’s, but they don’t have as much bottom end as others. Best pre’s imo in my iic+ and bad lander and also one of the best ones in my ccv

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570&_nkw=JAN+5751&_sacat=0
2 second search.
Plenty of deals to be had. Its not that popular a tube except for forum people and maybe HAMM radio folks.
JAN = "Joint ARMY/NAVY" tubes made for the Military for Gyrocompass/Radio ect. Not guitar amps/audio.
Most all Military is Satellite/solid state equipment now.
Ive tried all the forum folklore 5751 in the PI ect but ive always gone back to 12AX7's.
Never made a huge difference IMO.
Usually will be a fairly subtle difference. Also depends which brand tube and which amp. They generally do very well in American 6L6 or 6V6 type amps, especially the older ones. My ‘89 SLO especially loves them. That amp though is one of my more sensitive ones though to pre-amp tubes

I’ve got a bunch of Westinghouse’s too (12ax7’s, 12bz7’s, 6v6). They sound different than GE and Philips and I believe are their own brand. Similar sounding imo to Sylvania tubes or also the CBS-Hytron’s I’ve got. Of the American tubes I think the Sylvania’s are quite tight, but not as much warmth or character

Tightest pre-amp tubes I’ve had are my Siemens ECC83’s, but they don’t have as much bottom end as others. Best pre’s imo in my iic+ and bad lander and also one of the best ones in my ccv
I loved the Chinese C8's in my old 2C+ and ++ amps. The can cause hum though. One of the best tubes especially in V1 of the 2C+ is a long plate RCA 7025. They just have that "sound". YMMV.

I loved the Chinese C8's in my old 2C+ and ++ amps. The can cause hum though. One of the best tubes especially in V1 of the 2C+ is a long plate RCA 7025. They just have that "sound". YMMV.
I gotta check which version RCA pre’s I’ve got. The numbers and letters are mostly faded on the ones I have. They sounded good to me in the c+, but not my absolute favorites. I find all the RCA tubes I’ve had (including 6v6, 6SL7, 12bz7, 5y3) to have this inherently old school, kinda murky voicing that I don’t prefer for metal, but great for more vintage-y stuff. I liked those Chinese ones over many, but to my ears Siemens had that “sound”. Brought out the aggression in all the right places, highlighted more the blistering lead tones they’re known for and very tight. Just right for that amp imo as well as the Badlander and CCV. In my other amps I preferred other stuff

Last edited:
OP- you already placed your order, so the die is cast... while you wait, you can pull your existing 5751 & try it in other amps, and then compare to the ones you bought whenever they arrive.

I went pretty deep down the NOS rabbit hole (pre-amp & power amp tubes) a few years ago, got some good deals before supply really tightened up. For any NOS tubes buying off the interwebs, you are making a significant bet on the dealer/seller, how good their test equipment is, how much effort they put into testing (and matching if getting pairs), how well they pack for shipment and how honest they are. I've narrowed it down to about half a dozen sellers that I personally trust. The eBay seller you selected has 2k+ positive reviews & bunch of other tubes for sale, not familiar with them but hope it works out- post back!

Tubes arrived today, but it may be a few days before I'll be able to do anything with them. I'll be sure to post my finding though, when I can get around to trying them out. Thanks!

Back