will a mesa dual rectifier sound noticeably different with 1960a cab compared to 4x12 mesa cab

  • Thread starter Thread starter bigchungusstuckinmymouth
  • Start date Start date
bigchungusstuckinmymouth

bigchungusstuckinmymouth

Member
i want the chuggy pop punk tone neal avron gets with bands like yellowcard and new found glory. he uses mesa stacks but the studio near me only has 1960a cab.

 
Vastly different.

A lot of metal bands ran that setup back in the day, because someone put a DR on their credit card & 1960 cabs were $250 on every street corner. Never found it to be a great sounding combo, but I heard a few players kind of make it work.

Mesa cabs handle that thunderous low end much better.
 
Vastly different.

A lot of metal bands ran that setup back in the day, because someone put a DR on their credit card & 1960 cabs were $250 on every street corner. Never found it to be a great sounding combo, but I heard a few players kind of make it work.

Mesa cabs handle that thunderous low end much better.
fuck it’s over
 
fuck i guess i have to buy one myself and have it brought in fuck fuck fuck why is everything so expensive
 
Vastly different.

A lot of metal bands ran that setup back in the day, because someone put a DR on their credit card & 1960 cabs were $250 on every street corner. Never found it to be a great sounding combo, but I heard a few players kind of make it work.

Mesa cabs handle that thunderous low end much better.

Personally I like it better, but I am more of a 90s metal guy, so I want that mid scooped chunk out of it.

Meshuggah's Destroy Erase Improve is that combo, and that is top tier tone.
 
An 8 ohm Mesa Traditional cab will be darker, more compressed and have more low end punch than a 16 ohm Marshall….The Marshall brighter, more open, more bark and bite.
Both sound killer and it comes down to preference.
I had both long term and I prefer my Mesas through two Marshall cabs.
The Marshall cab has Greenbacks, the Splawn Cab vented T75s. The combo is 🔥
9D73C8DB-DC48-4E76-9952-9EB6F38EFDD3.jpeg

51176C17-0736-427C-B85E-B959D36DFD99.jpeg
 
Last edited:
I prefer to use mine with a 1960AV. It's punchier and warmer/thicker. More in your face. I do have a 412OS, which gives a colder, more distant sound. Not a bad sound necessarily, and could be the better choice if a rhythm/backing player.
 
Man, that 75 was instant 80’s Thrash tone.
Yeah in that sense it's an underated speaker and some would say the V30 is better but it kind of just depends on what you're after.
 
Yeah in that sense it's an underated speaker and some would say the V30 is better but it kind of just depends on what you're after.
Exactly. If you want that sound, that’s the speaker to use. Not a sound for me, I like my mids.
 
Exactly. If you want that sound, that’s the speaker to use. Not a sound for me, I like my mids.
Yup and it's not bad just not for you and what works for dude don't work for you/me sometimes but I have to say I really liked it for that tone even though it's not my style. It was pretty high octane and cut and rugged and not as smooth but still good for that tone and the V30 doesn't really do that.


A good combo if you feel you need more edge is to mix a V30 and 75. This way they balance each other out some and you get the best of both and kind of make up for what they may lack for some but I agree I personally prefer V30s but again it doesn't make it better. Works me and what works for dude works for dude 😎
 

Similar threads

M
Replies
0
Views
112
midgod07
M
C
Replies
18
Views
3K
SonVolt
SonVolt
ultimatemetalguitartones
Replies
0
Views
599
ultimatemetalguitartones
ultimatemetalguitartones
Back
Top