Your thoughts on the EVM12L

ZEN Amps

It's been years since I heard one outside of a 1x12 Boogie cab - anyone running one in a quad box? (If I use this term enough it may just catch on, though I'm not optimistic).

It's a bit of a hassle to try as I have a spare 8Ω one in a sea of 16Ω cabs, but thought it might be a cool recording option or to at least shoot an IR.

Your experiences?

A lot of (not metal?) guys love them. Usually guys that think Mark combos have good tone.

I think they're sterile & boring AF (for metal). Loud as hell, though.

I have one in a evh 1 x12.
I won it in 08 at a Lynch clinic.
I put it in my 1x12 so I could run any head with it.
I does clean real nice.
It will still do any type of music.
Of coarse I like many other speakers better.
It is 300 watts so it will take all the punishment that can be dished out.
Doesn't Zakk use them ?

These cabs crush all my other V30 loaded ones.
307962163_2230510157127431_169802832342582201_n.jpg

I have an Orange 4x12 of them. 2 classics and 2 of the BLS version mixed. I love them, the louder the better. I play metal mostly. There are times I want more character though. SO loud, so powerful. They definitely rely on amp character.

Zakk does use them still I think.

I can't imagine how heavy a 4x12 of those would be! I have a couple of the old Mesa 2x12's that have a C90 in the top and EV in the bottom. I like them quite a lot. I think the Mesa 4x12's of that era used the same setup. They're very versatile sonically. I mostly use them with Boogies, of course, but I've run the SLO through them and they sound quite good there. The EV is a lot more like a PA speaker, so a far more even response than a typical guitar speaker. I like it that mixture enough I never really thought about strictly using them. Plus, they're expensive, so my drive to get more is low!

I guess, I'd try mixing them with some Celestions in that 4x12, if you have them around, and see how it works out. I'd only put 4 of them in, if you already have them. In that case, it's so fast to mount and solder speakers, I'd just give it a good try. I think they'd work fine.

I have played on a pair of 4x12 cabs with them. One of the guys in TAD them when we shared a practice space. These were huge cabs. Much bigger than a typical 4x12.

They sound good for clean and lead work. I would not recommend them for crunch rhythm.

I had them in a diezel 412 running with a vh4s. It was the first time I owned a diezel, EVs and a front loaded cab. At the time I didn't have much experience with different amps, cabs or speakers. I thought the rig was so lifeless and bland sounding, I couldn't fathom how so many great records were made with a vh4. So I moved on quickly. Wish I had tried different speakers first or perhaps a rear loaded cab. Really just wish I had the diezel back... I blame electro voice for this misfortune.

As in...literally crush them if you put them on top? \:D/
Probably and tone-wise since V30 almost sound like bees in a can. 🐝

But seriously, having played V30 for years in different cabs I simply can't stand them anymore. I have replaced them with the early Jensen Neos, Celestion Golds, Eminence Swamp Thangs, WGS Invaders, Fane F70s and some others so far and almost always preferred it that way with most amps I was using. It's just like I can't stand to use SM57s for miking guitar amps anymore or like when I never could gel with some pronounced frequency in my Line 6 amp back then.. it's kinda like ear fatigue.

Last edited:
Probably and tone-wise since V30 almost sound like bees in a can. 🐝

But seriously, having played V30 for years I simply can't stand them anymore. I liked them in my Mesa OS and my Bogner for example but after I sold the Mesa I tried different speakers in the Bogner and sold the V30.

Yea… v30s….bees in a can….‘super unpopular speaker….. definitely not used anywhere by anyone ever without sounding like a can of bees.

Back