Zach says Tone Wood does not matter..

  • Thread starter Thread starter midnightlaundry
  • Start date Start date
Les Claypool disagrees




honestly I don't really care about the tonewood thing, no ones convincing anyone of anything
 
Tonewood doesnt matter, the voice of a given guitar does, therefore tonewoods matter.
 
Play acoustic guitars of various woods first and get back to us. This is for beginners. After this, you are ready to try to understand how it affects electrics. :dunno:
 
The material from which a guitar is made makes no difference. A telecaster, an acoustic guitar, and a guitar with enough metal frame to hold the string tension but is otherwise made entirely out of rubber will all sound exactly the same.

Wrong.

Saying the wood doesn’t impact the tone at all is bullshit perpetuated by people who wish that was true because if it were true it would mean things weren’t as complicated.

I say it probably matters less than people think it does, and to be honest it’s tough to say what matters more, the type of wood, or the individual cut of wood, or the shape / routing / volume of the guitar or some combo of all of it. But it still makes a difference. Things are further complicated by the inconsistency of wood types (how many of you have played 8 lb non-weight relieved LP’s and 12 lb non-weight relieved LP’s), but imo even if it only affects the way a guitar sounds acoustically, that still matters, unless you ONLY play guitar so loud that you cannot hear the guitar acoustically or feel its vibrations, which almost nobody always does.
 
Last edited:
So a guy who one of his primary income streams is from selling cheap import guitars made from low grade wood doesn't think wood matters? Shocking!

I'm not taking his advice on fashion/style either....

5XBRKmJfHrvULS4tyYYkT6-1024-80.jpg.webp
 
So a guy who one of his primary income streams is from selling cheap import guitars made from low grade wood doesn't think wood matters? Shocking!

The next frontier is going to be people shilling for guitars with like 18% moisture content and pretending it doesn't have any effect on the guitar's QC, guaranteed

"well SCIENTIFICALLY the chances of your neck or body warping are MINISCULE! And everyone can do their own fretwork so that shouldn't be an issue"

Mark my words, in a couple years, it will happen as a response to all the beginners and hobbyists who have a vested interest in making everyone agree that their budget instrument was the "right" choice
 
I pay no attention to any of it
I buy what sounds good.
Dont put any thoughts into it or buy or not buy over wood.

Weight yes, ugliness yes, chunky yes

I do like aesthetically a RW neck but i also have maple and ebony. Couldn't tell them apart by tone or feel
 
For what Zakk does it probably only has limited impact. His sound is primarily various distortion boxes and the frequency response of the EMGs.

He's also probably at least half deaf by now, and has consumed an Atlantic Ocean sized volume of alcohol to further dull his senses....
 
People spent time to swap necks and bodies... like Clapton and SRV. If was all the same, why they did it?
 
Scale also affects guitar and bass tone, volume, and clarity. Everything substantial does.......cos physics. Try building a 20" scale 8-string guitar.

Pickups amplify whatever is there and then your signal chain is another conversation altogether. If you plug it into some do-it-all modeling box at the end.....I guess nothing matters after all. But that's lame. :poke:
 
Don’t have a dog in this race…BUT every guitar that I’ve had over the last 40 years or so that was a keeper, and every guitar i currently own, was a mahogany/limba body. What do I know?
 
I will say that I had EMGs in cheaper guitars and in a Japanese ESP. Same EMGs, and they sounded worlds better in the Japanese ESP. Subjective I know, but this is my experience. So I would say, even with a lot of gain, high output pick ups, etc., tone woods absolutely matter.
 
Evidently playing Dime’s parts faithfully and using his Randall amps doesn’t matter as well, even if you’re playing under a huge Pantera backdrop
 
I’m no scientist, but I’ve had guitars that I just can’t get to sound as good as other models with the same specs and same pickups.

Right now, I have a Caparison Horus CL that has a shrill to it no matter how bass heavy the pickups are that I put in it and another with exact same specs that sounds badass.
 
Back
Top